What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Green musty water remedy  (Read 2696 times)

norcalhottub

Green musty water remedy
« on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:56 pm »
Let me say off the bat this is my oversight but want to make this a learning experience. 

1st time owner going on ~2 months using our hot tub, I've been keeping up the pH, alkalinity levels etc and changing out the chlorine frog cartridges pretty religiously but failed to address the physical filter.  I guess me being excited, my brain only registered to address the filter every few months using the soap formula but overlooked the mention of hosing it down every week or so.  The past few weeks or so i started to notice water getting a bit murky but thought maybe i was over thinking things.  Fast forward today after not utilizing the tub in 3 days, i open the cover and the water was darker green, murky and musty. pH/alkalinity levels were so high and the chlorine cartridge indicating empty (via test strip). 

Upon this mistake, I removed the filter, hosed it down thoroughly, swapped out the chlorine frog, and shocked...will check on the pH etc shortly.  My question is, did i go too much over to the point where i should just drain and refill or can i salvage levels and clarity w/ the above actions?

Hot Tub Forum

Green musty water remedy
« on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:56 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Green musty water remedy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:12:35 am »
Let me say off the bat this is my oversight but want to make this a learning experience. 

1st time owner going on ~2 months using our hot tub, I've been keeping up the pH, alkalinity levels etc and changing out the chlorine frog cartridges pretty religiously but failed to address the physical filter.  I guess me being excited, my brain only registered to address the filter every few months using the soap formula but overlooked the mention of hosing it down every week or so.  The past few weeks or so i started to notice water getting a bit murky but thought maybe i was over thinking things.  Fast forward today after not utilizing the tub in 3 days, i open the cover and the water was darker green, murky and musty. pH/alkalinity levels were so high and the chlorine cartridge indicating empty (via test strip). 

Upon this mistake, I removed the filter, hosed it down thoroughly, swapped out the chlorine frog, and shocked...will check on the pH etc shortly.  My question is, did i go too much over to the point where i should just drain and refill or can i salvage levels and clarity w/ the above actions?

After 2 months on your water I say good job, drain and start again. Most new owners need to drain and re-fill sooner than normal the first time because of heavy use.
Retired

Sam

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:58:30 am »
Generally this is a result of insufficient sanitizer and not a dirty filter.

norcalhottub

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 01:24:08 pm »
Generally this is a result of insufficient sanitizer and not a dirty filter.

Hmm - this would definitely add some confusion as I've been pretty decent w/ up keep on that front.  I did notice the Frog chlorine cartridges run out significantly quicker than 4 weeks, however never let it get past that.  Asides from this, I've been keeping levels within range since ownership (which is not long). 

Sam

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 01:51:47 pm »
If your bather load exceeds the amount of sanitizer the water will quickly get funky on the @ease program.  The level of free chlorine is so low that the margin of error is small.  If your cartridge was out for a day or 2 and you used the hot tub, the water will likely turn.  To clear it up add a healthy dose of chlorine, either dichlor or bleach.

norcalhottub

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 02:21:42 pm »
If your bather load exceeds the amount of sanitizer the water will quickly get funky on the @ease program.  The level of free chlorine is so low that the margin of error is small.  If your cartridge was out for a day or 2 and you used the hot tub, the water will likely turn.  To clear it up add a healthy dose of chlorine, either dichlor or bleach.

This makes sense, during our hot tub "honey moon" phase, I'd say we used it TONS and I've noticed the chlorine levels low here and there, kids random toys floaties etc. 

Would this be OK and at what frequency?  I have a 375 gallon Caldera Vanto.

Leisure Time Spa 56 Chlorine
https://spaandpoolstore.com/search.php?search_query=dichlor&section=product

Sam

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 04:42:15 pm »
Yep, that's good stuff.  I would say add a tablespoon after any significant bather load incident and a couple tablespoons anytime the water looks a bit cloudy or smells.  You may need to repeat the dose the following day or 2 if it doesn't clear up.

norcalhottub

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 02:27:25 am »
Yep, that's good stuff.  I would say add a tablespoon after any significant bather load incident and a couple tablespoons anytime the water looks a bit cloudy or smells.  You may need to repeat the dose the following day or 2 if it doesn't clear up.

Great - will order ASAP. I assume this is not a replacement for the enhanced shock that came with my kit?

Sam

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 12:41:54 pm »
Yeah, I would just use it as a supplemental sanitizer. 

By the way, I've also heard good things about hot tub serum for this same situation.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 12:41:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42