What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why is there no chlorine reading in my salt tub?  (Read 17032 times)

jbizzlr

Why is there no chlorine reading in my salt tub?
« on: May 09, 2020, 12:36:24 am »
I got a Hot Spring salt tub about a month ago.  I was told it might take a few days to a week for the salt generator to start generating chlorine.  Whenever I dip the test strip there is zero chlorine.  If I don't add chlorine I never get a reading.  What's going on?  Is the chlorine created by the salt generator so low that you never get a reading?

Hot Tub Forum

Why is there no chlorine reading in my salt tub?
« on: May 09, 2020, 12:36:24 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Why is there no chlorine reading in my salt tub?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:00:22 pm »
What model? What is your setting? Has your water been tested for phosphates?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

HotTubLife

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:49:57 pm »
I have a similar issue, although I don't sweat it too much. I add a small amount of chlorine every few days or so. As long as the water stays clear (it does) I'm happy.

Sammi

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 12:09:02 am »
I'm having the exact issue. Just got my spa a few days ago, so naturally have been using it a lot. If I don't add chlorine granules after use I get a zero reading. I've had the setting at 10 since day 1 and added 4 tablespoons of granulars first day. Have had to add 1-2 tablespoons every day since. 

Also - my salt system says OK when I test it but the meter shows in the yellow on the left. Dealer has told me as long as the system says OK DO NOT add any more salt until I drain and refill next year.  My question is how do these systems work? The two water tests my dealer gave (3 days a part) me both said to add 3 additional cups of salt (I added 4 initially on their recommendation). Dealer told me to ignore the printout and go by what the tub indicator is telling me. They said all that matters is that it says Salt System OK.  They also told me to keep the salt chlorine meter at 10 for the first 10 days. I would think with a little more salt the system would have an easier time producing chlorine? The book also recommends to add more salt. Basically my dealer strongly suggests and contradicts the water test read out recommendation and the book recommendation.  And my chlorine output is non-existent. Confused as heck but adding a tablespoon of granules isn't a big deal. Dealer told me I shouldn't even worry about it as long as my water is clear (which in this short time it is even with heavy use).

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 08:38:29 am »
Which tub do you have?  having to add 3 additional cups is a lot considering even the biggest Hot Spring or Caldera only requires 9-10 cups.  I would want the salt indicator in the green, if you are in the left yellow, its borderline low.  I would maybe add a 1/2 cup at a time until you get into the green. 

If the usage is heavy and you started using the hot tub the day it heated up the salt system didn't get sufficient time to initially disinfect the water which is likely why the no chlorine reading.  If you were also using ozone with the salt system, that would be why too.  If your usage is going to continue and be high I would consider switching to liquid chlorine.  If you continue to use chlorine granules your CYA is going to increase and it will reach a point which will require a drain and refill.  You should not have to add chlorine with every use.

Also, have your dealer test for phosphates.  High phosphates can consume the chlorine in the water so if they are present, removing them will allow the salt system to work a lot more efficient.

Sammi

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:21:20 pm »
Which tub do you have?  having to add 3 additional cups is a lot considering even the biggest Hot Spring or Caldera only requires 9-10 cups.  I would want the salt indicator in the green, if you are in the left yellow, its borderline low.  I would maybe add a 1/2 cup at a time until you get into the green. 

If the usage is heavy and you started using the hot tub the day it heated up the salt system didn't get sufficient time to initially disinfect the water which is likely why the no chlorine reading.  If you were also using ozone with the salt system, that would be why too.  If your usage is going to continue and be high I would consider switching to liquid chlorine.  If you continue to use chlorine granules your CYA is going to increase and it will reach a point which will require a drain and refill.  You should not have to add chlorine with every use.

Also, have your dealer test for phosphates.  High phosphates can consume the chlorine in the water so if they are present, removing them will allow the salt system to work a lot more efficient.

I have an Envoy. My tap water quality is good, and they also connected it to a softener tank during the fill. Upon start up I was instructed to add only 4 cups of salt rather than what the book recommends. I was also instructed to add 4 tablespoons of chlorine granuales at startup with the salt. I do also have the ozone system on my spa. The Spaguard report does not have a phosphate reading that I can see. We will be continuing to use the spa heavy and have since day 1. My wife and I soak twice daily for around 45 min/time. CYA to me means Cover Your A - what does it mean in hot tub speak?  ;D

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 12:58:57 pm »

I have an Envoy. My tap water quality is good, and they also connected it to a softener tank during the fill. Upon start up I was instructed to add only 4 cups of salt rather than what the book recommends. I was also instructed to add 4 tablespoons of chlorine granuales at startup with the salt. I do also have the ozone system on my spa. The Spaguard report does not have a phosphate reading that I can see. We will be continuing to use the spa heavy and have since day 1. My wife and I soak twice daily for around 45 min/time. CYA to me means Cover Your A - what does it mean in hot tub speak?  ;D

With ozone and salt combo you will never get a chlorine reading. I use a mix of salt, ozone and freshwater mineral in my tub. I never have a chlorine reading but have 3 methods of sanitizing my water at once so my water is always crystal clear and very few problems. We also use our tub heavily. At least daily and most time 2x a day with the kids at night

Sammi

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 01:33:24 pm »

With ozone and salt combo you will never get a chlorine reading. I use a mix of salt, ozone and freshwater mineral in my tub. I never have a chlorine reading but have 3 methods of sanitizing my water at once so my water is always crystal clear and very few problems. We also use our tub heavily. At least daily and most time 2x a day with the kids at night

Thanks! Thats really good to know. I did pit a tablespoon of chlorine granules in this AM after testing and only showing 0.5 reading. I ran the tub for about 40 min and let it sit for another 20 before getting in. My chlorine reading was up around and I didn't like the feeling of the water. It will dissipate as the day goes on. The dealer did say I shouldn't have to do anything with the water as long as it is clean and clear, but then the kid that ran my water test told me to add chlorine.

Hottubguy - does your salt indicator show green? That's the part that confuses me the most is that mine is in the yellow but the system says ok and the dealer is insisting I don't add any additional salt.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 01:58:14 pm »
Mine is on low side of green.  As long as it says ok you are good

Sammi

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 12:28:10 pm »
Woke up to cloudy water this AM and no residual chlorine. I guess trsuting the salt system is ozone system to work together isn't going to work for me.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 03:31:15 pm »
What level do you have salt system set at? And are you using a freshwater mineral stick with it?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 04:58:05 pm »
One other thing to add Sammi, when your dealer tested water did he test for phosphates

Sammi

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 01:04:09 am »
I don't think they tested for phosphates but in fairness our tap water has won awards for being one of the best in the nation. My local brewry brews with straight tap water because it so good and is one of the top micro-brews in the country. My dealer is very familiar with my tap water and also used a water softner when filling my spa. Though after 6 cups of salt my salt system reading is still boderline yellow/red on the light side (around 7:00 o'clock) but salt system says OK.

We've used the spa heavily in the past week. It's new and we love it. I added a 1/4 cup of chlorine granuales today and by tonight the water cleared up for the most part. I also cleaned the main filter which was very yellow on the bottom half.

I have the salt water system and ozone system but no mineral stick.  Its been a week since we installed the spa and the salt walter system has been set at 10 since day 1.  I've been testing the water multiple times a day ans last night after use there was zero residual chlorine which worried me - but i was hoping the system would handle it.  Obviously I was wrong. We do rinse in a high pressure shower before each use and have used the same rinsed suits since day 1. 

My feeling is due to heavy use we need to supplement with a half to full tablespoon of chlorine granuled every  two days to allow the system to keep up. I have no idea how much a non-salt tub would need.....

castletonia

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 08:12:18 am »
The salt system isn't going to work as effectively as it could if the salt is low.  Maybe your dealer has a master plan that works for them but I was told by Hot Spring tech support that the system produces chlorine most effectively when the salt system is in the upper end of the green. 

Ozone oxidizes chlorine so you likely will never have much of a chlorine reading when using ozone + salt.  Get your water tested for phosphates.  You can't see or taste phosphates.  Municipalities will actually add phosphates to tap water to prevent corrosion so if you live in a city will older underground pipes, I would be surprised if you didn't have any.  High phosphates can deplete chlorine.

I would have a talk with your dealer also about switching to liquid chlorine if you need to add chlorine with any regularity. 

Flyonthewall

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 06:38:31 pm »
them telling you to keep the salt low directly contradicts the freshwater salt owners manual.  download one from the hot spring website if you don't have a hard copy.  under the no chlorine reading section of troubleshooting it says "keep the salt level near the high end of the ok range (2,000) to ensure maximum chlorine generation".  the same section talks about cyanuric acid lock (cya).  other things like ph balance, and filter cleanliness can have an effect.  it could also be simply the 1st time fill up blues.  apparently test water stagnating in the pipes is an industry wide issue.  another major manufacturer's owners manual says to fill the new spa, shock it with an incredible amount of chlorine, then drain it right away. who wants to do that.  the gist of the story is people report the water being much easier to maintain after their 1st drain and refill.  as far as the after soak chlorine consider mixing in some non chlorine shock instead.  it will help oxidize bather waste without raising cya.  then your salt chlorine can build up that reserve.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 06:38:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42