Brand Specific Forums > Hot Spring Spas

Why is there no chlorine reading in my salt tub?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sammi:

--- Quote from: castletonia on September 14, 2020, 08:38:29 am ---Which tub do you have?  having to add 3 additional cups is a lot considering even the biggest Hot Spring or Caldera only requires 9-10 cups.  I would want the salt indicator in the green, if you are in the left yellow, its borderline low.  I would maybe add a 1/2 cup at a time until you get into the green. 

If the usage is heavy and you started using the hot tub the day it heated up the salt system didn't get sufficient time to initially disinfect the water which is likely why the no chlorine reading.  If you were also using ozone with the salt system, that would be why too.  If your usage is going to continue and be high I would consider switching to liquid chlorine.  If you continue to use chlorine granules your CYA is going to increase and it will reach a point which will require a drain and refill.  You should not have to add chlorine with every use.

Also, have your dealer test for phosphates.  High phosphates can consume the chlorine in the water so if they are present, removing them will allow the salt system to work a lot more efficient.

--- End quote ---

I have an Envoy. My tap water quality is good, and they also connected it to a softener tank during the fill. Upon start up I was instructed to add only 4 cups of salt rather than what the book recommends. I was also instructed to add 4 tablespoons of chlorine granuales at startup with the salt. I do also have the ozone system on my spa. The Spaguard report does not have a phosphate reading that I can see. We will be continuing to use the spa heavy and have since day 1. My wife and I soak twice daily for around 45 min/time. CYA to me means Cover Your A - what does it mean in hot tub speak?  ;D

Hottubguy:

--- Quote from: Sammi on September 14, 2020, 12:21:20 pm ---
--- Quote from: castletonia on September 14, 2020, 08:38:29 am ---Which tub do you have?  having to add 3 additional cups is a lot considering even the biggest Hot Spring or Caldera only requires 9-10 cups.  I would want the salt indicator in the green, if you are in the left yellow, its borderline low.  I would maybe add a 1/2 cup at a time until you get into the green. 

If the usage is heavy and you started using the hot tub the day it heated up the salt system didn't get sufficient time to initially disinfect the water which is likely why the no chlorine reading.  If you were also using ozone with the salt system, that would be why too.  If your usage is going to continue and be high I would consider switching to liquid chlorine.  If you continue to use chlorine granules your CYA is going to increase and it will reach a point which will require a drain and refill.  You should not have to add chlorine with every use.

Also, have your dealer test for phosphates.  High phosphates can consume the chlorine in the water so if they are present, removing them will allow the salt system to work a lot more efficient.

--- End quote ---

I have an Envoy. My tap water quality is good, and they also connected it to a softener tank during the fill. Upon start up I was instructed to add only 4 cups of salt rather than what the book recommends. I was also instructed to add 4 tablespoons of chlorine granuales at startup with the salt. I do also have the ozone system on my spa. The Spaguard report does not have a phosphate reading that I can see. We will be continuing to use the spa heavy and have since day 1. My wife and I soak twice daily for around 45 min/time. CYA to me means Cover Your A - what does it mean in hot tub speak?  ;D

--- End quote ---

With ozone and salt combo you will never get a chlorine reading. I use a mix of salt, ozone and freshwater mineral in my tub. I never have a chlorine reading but have 3 methods of sanitizing my water at once so my water is always crystal clear and very few problems. We also use our tub heavily. At least daily and most time 2x a day with the kids at night

Sammi:

--- Quote from: Hottubguy on September 14, 2020, 12:58:57 pm ---
--- Quote from: Sammi on September 14, 2020, 12:21:20 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

With ozone and salt combo you will never get a chlorine reading. I use a mix of salt, ozone and freshwater mineral in my tub. I never have a chlorine reading but have 3 methods of sanitizing my water at once so my water is always crystal clear and very few problems. We also use our tub heavily. At least daily and most time 2x a day with the kids at night

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Thats really good to know. I did pit a tablespoon of chlorine granules in this AM after testing and only showing 0.5 reading. I ran the tub for about 40 min and let it sit for another 20 before getting in. My chlorine reading was up around and I didn't like the feeling of the water. It will dissipate as the day goes on. The dealer did say I shouldn't have to do anything with the water as long as it is clean and clear, but then the kid that ran my water test told me to add chlorine.

Hottubguy - does your salt indicator show green? That's the part that confuses me the most is that mine is in the yellow but the system says ok and the dealer is insisting I don't add any additional salt.

Hottubguy:
Mine is on low side of green.  As long as it says ok you are good

Sammi:
Woke up to cloudy water this AM and no residual chlorine. I guess trsuting the salt system is ozone system to work together isn't going to work for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version