What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to reduce Total Chlorine?  (Read 2265 times)

DJJ

How to reduce Total Chlorine?
« on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:50 am »
I just began using the floating Frog Ease system a few months ago and have been having a hard time balancing my spa. My weekly Free Chlorine readings are consistently 0.40-0.75. My Total Chlorine is off the charts High. Week after week this Total Chlorine level is too high to even get an accurate reading. I thought it would drift lower on its own but it remains consistently high. I have the Frog Ease floating system set on its lowest setting and my spa is about 250 gallons. Is this normal? I've been afraid to use the spa due to this high Total Chlorine reading.  I have been shocking every few weeks as recomended with non-chlorine shock. Also, when I run the spa the water turns a milky color with slight foaming, which never happened before. When I turn the jets off, it is crystal clear. The water is new and lightly used by only myself. I am always clean when I enter the spa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

How to reduce Total Chlorine?
« on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:50 am »

castletonia

Re: How to reduce Total Chlorine?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 12:45:25 pm »
The Frog @ease system works a bit differently that traditional chlorine.  It is normal to have a high total chlorine and a very low free chlorine.  Your readings are right inline with what they should be for that system.  As for the milky water when the jets run, that could be a few things.  High TDS will cause that.  If you are using a defoamer, and a lot of it without cleaning your filter out, that will cause it.  You say you have been shocking every few weeks and that the water is new, which one is it?  How old is the water?

DJJ

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 03:53:40 pm »
The water is a little more than a month old. I consider it "new' since nobody has used the tub since I changed the water. Aside from my normal chemical maintenance there is no way the TDS are high. I did try cleaning the filters as well and the water is still milky with the jets running.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:55:25 pm by DJJ »

swilly1000

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 04:26:23 am »
Take a water sample to your dealer or a chemical supply store and get a computer readout of the water to eliminate any uncertainty caused by guessing from the test strips.

DJJ

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 07:05:11 am »
I am not using test strips. I am using a high end Lamotte test kit.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 08:32:28 am »
Your chlorine is fine. Your cloudy water could be a ton of things. When was the last time you cleaned/purged your plumbing? There are several products out there for this.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 08:32:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42