What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Drain/Fill Each Use vs Maintain  (Read 1973 times)

jahmes143

Drain/Fill Each Use vs Maintain
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:42:48 am »
First post, hello everybody!

I use my hot tub once per month max.  Maintaining it (ph, sanitizer, etc) is a bit of a hassle and time consuming.  Rather than always keeping water in it, I was thinking about filling/draining each use.  So using it similar to a bath tub. 

I would use the drain water to irrigate my lawn. 

My question is...if draining/filling each use, do I still need to adjust pH, sanitizer, chlorine ppm, etc each use, or can i treat it like a bath tub where those issues aren't important. 

Not concerned with cost of drain/fill or heating new water. 

Thanks! 

Hot Tub Forum

Drain/Fill Each Use vs Maintain
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:42:48 am »

Sam

Re: Drain/Fill Each Use vs Maintain
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 03:19:53 pm »
Are you saying that will fill and heat it up prior to each use?  Doesn't make sense.  You would need to winterize after each use or the water in the lines would freeze/get stagnant.

Maintaining a hot tub does not need to be a hassle.  Look into the @ease system.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 03:39:45 pm »
Worst thing you can do to a hot tub is remove the water for more than a few hours. When a hot tub is full no air can get at the seals around the jets and in the pumps Any metal in the spa like a heater element won't rust and seals stay soft and supple. When you remove the water for days, weeks, months the potential for bad things to happen increases with time. Seals will start to dry out and shrink or decay. Metal will start to rust and mold and bacteria will accumulate inside the plumbing that can become a health risk if not dealt with properly on refill.

jahmes143

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:58 pm »
Are you saying that will fill and heat it up prior to each use?  Doesn't make sense.  You would need to winterize after each use or the water in the lines would freeze/get stagnant.

Maintaining a hot tub does not need to be a hassle.  Look into the @ease system.

I live in FL, so no freeze concern, but didn't think about the stagnant part.  Thanks. 
Worst thing you can do to a hot tub is remove the water for more than a few hours. When a hot tub is full no air can get at the seals around the jets and in the pumps Any metal in the spa like a heater element won't rust and seals stay soft and supple. When you remove the water for days, weeks, months the potential for bad things to happen increases with time. Seals will start to dry out and shrink or decay. Metal will start to rust and mold and bacteria will accumulate inside the plumbing that can become a health risk if not dealt with properly on refill.

Ahhhhh I wasn't aware about the seals/rust/bacteria/etc associated with an empty tub.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to keep her full. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42