What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Experience with LS700DX from Lifesmart?  (Read 3144 times)

emt1581

Experience with LS700DX from Lifesmart?
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:47:59 pm »
We have been eyeing up an LS600DX for a while but just discovered the LS700DX with 25 extra jets is only $300 more.  Does anyone have any experience with this brand or these models?  If so, please share. 

Also, what's a ballpark figure for what a spa disconnect costs for parts and labor?  We have a 220 line but the breaker needs to be upgraded to handle the amps/voltage. 

What chemicals and regiment is suggested for maintaining it year round? 

We plan on buying steps, weighted head rests, and drink holders (suggestions??).  Anything else we may want to consider? 

How do we go about finding a reputable repair service?

Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

Experience with LS700DX from Lifesmart?
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:47:59 pm »

castletonia

Re: Experience with LS700DX from Lifesmart?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 06:54:49 pm »
I have no specific experience with this brand, but let me ask you this.  Where are you buying it from?  Will you have any support after the sale?  I'm all for getting a good deal, but for something as costly as a hot tub, I would be very skeptical of something I cannot see, try or know if there is any support other than a 800 number.  also, of those 90 jets, looks like 88 of them are inexpensive bullet jets which aren't going to feel the greatest.

I would suggest buying locally since you can actually see and even try what you are buying.  Plus, you will have after sale support.  I don't know what your wants/needs/budget are, but there are many quality brands out there at varying price points. 

emt1581

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:08:33 pm »
I have no specific experience with this brand, but let me ask you this.  Where are you buying it from?  Will you have any support after the sale?  I'm all for getting a good deal, but for something as costly as a hot tub, I would be very skeptical of something I cannot see, try or know if there is any support other than a 800 number.  also, of those 90 jets, looks like 88 of them are inexpensive bullet jets which aren't going to feel the greatest.

I would suggest buying locally since you can actually see and even try what you are buying.  Plus, you will have after sale support.  I don't know what your wants/needs/budget are, but there are many quality brands out there at varying price points.

Buying from whoever has the best price.  Factory covers 5/2/1 yr warranties as the site mentions.  But no, we can't see it ahead of time to try. 

Good point on the bullet jets.  Is there a better make/model jet/massage-wise that comes to mind that fits 7 people and is under $4k shipped?

Thanks!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 11:35:46 pm »

Buying from whoever has the best price.  Factory covers 5/2/1 yr warranties as the site mentions.  But no, we can't see it ahead of time to try. 

Good point on the bullet jets.  Is there a better make/model jet/massage-wise that comes to mind that fits 7 people and is under $4k shipped?

Thanks!

You won’t find a 7 person quality tub new for under 4K. Look at used tubs. That tub with 90 jets is going to do absolutely nothing therapy or performance wise. If you want something under 4K find the most basic tub you can buy. Be lucky to get 5 years out of that thing. When a price seems to be too good to be true it is

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 08:42:58 am »

Thanks!

No, there is no such thing. Even under 10 grand with be tough if you want quality, longevity, and hydrotherapy.
Retired

ratchett

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 10:37:22 am »
The dealer you buy from is almost as important as the brand you're buying.   It could be the difference between hating your purchase and never buying another tub, or buying your second/third spa over your lifetime.

The reason why name brand hot tubs don't list prices online is because the dealer is a large part of the equation - they are your point of contact for all warranty service, as well as sometimes delivering/installing/setup with your purchase. Moreover these dealers typically know the local water source and how to balance it with their tubs.  You don't get that same experience with a "curbside delivery" mail-order hot tub.

The reality is these super low cost hot tubs are built to save cost on shipping, they will have minimal to no insulation (and sometimes even improper bracing to support the weight of the shell) and thus expensive to operate and heat.  Moreover sometimes you're lucky to get 5+ years out of the tub before experiencing major issues.  Meanwhile a comparably priced tub (of smaller size perhaps) from a reputable brand (and dealer) might be built to last 10-15+ years before you need to consider replacement. 

As the old saying goes, "buy cheap, buy twice".  This seems to ring especially true for hottubs. Even within one single brand name there will be different product tiers built to last different lifespans - budget tubs might be built to last a decade before things wear out, while their flagship spas might be built to last 20+ years with proper care and maintenance (In fact I recently met a neighbor who has a large 1989 Hotspring spa still going strong after all these years).

Do not buy the largest tub your money can afford, this will cost you more money in the long run in operating and maintenance costs (and replacement a few years down the road when it becomes more expensive to fix than replace).   Take into consideration how long you want a tub to last, then visit your local retailers with a bathing suit so you can wet-test the hot tub.  See how the jets feel, see if you like the tub (and the dealer).   

Also, what's a ballpark figure for what a spa disconnect costs for parts and labor?  We have a 220 line but the breaker needs to be upgraded to handle the amps/voltage.

Depends on a lot of things.  My dealer does the electrical hookup (for both 110 and 220AC spas) as part of the delivery/install assuming you have the electrical ran to the location.  As far as I understand the electrical side, you can't simply upgrade the breaker to handle more amperage, you would need to re-run a heavier gauge wire to the location.  The price for this would depend on how far your hot tub is from your main breaker panel.     If you are willing to dig any trenches necessary yourself, the electrical labor itself isn't that expensive - the bigger expense is the wire itself.   So if the tub is on the opposite side of the home from the panel, you're going to pay more than wiring up a hot tub 15 feet away from the main panel. I've seen people do it themselves for under $300, and people quoted over $1200 for electrical.  So it really varies completely on how much work is needed to run new wiring if your current wiring doesn't have the necessary amperage for the tub you want to buy.

What chemicals and regiment is suggested for maintaining it year round?

This will depend greatly on what features come equipped in your tub and how you use it.  The dealer you buy from should have a good routine based on your local water source conditions and tub type.    Some tubs come with extra features like ozonators, circulation pumps, UV System, Salt Systems, Mineral Cartridges, etc to reduce care and maintenance routines.   

How do we go about finding a reputable repair service?

Research the hot tub dealer before buying a hot tub.  Pay attention to their google and yelp reviews, especially those mentioning service needs.  Are customers satisfied with how they handle service issues, or do people complain.    I've heard that most warranty related issues present themselves within the first year of purchase, but still it's good to have a dealer you can trust since they may be the local regional technicians for that brand anyway - who better to work on your tub than the manufacture's authorized technician with access to all technical documentation needed to service the spa.

That's just my take, I'm still a newbie fascinated with this industry "soaking" all the knowledge I can.  I am by no means an expert nor a technician.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:30:24 am by ratchett »

swilly1000

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 03:03:50 pm »
also, of those 90 jets, looks like 88 of them are inexpensive bullet jets which aren't going to feel the greatest.

Completely agree.  Crappy jetting. Those 88 shifty little jets will start to irritate you rather than massage you as they assault your dermal layer.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 03:20:25 pm »

Buying from whoever has the best price. Factory covers 5/2/1 yr warranties as the site mentions.  But no, we can't see it ahead of time to try. 

Thanks!

speaking from many years of experience this is the worst possible way to buy a hot tub, you're just going to end up with a headache on your hands that you won't even use cause the filtration is inadequate, the jets are inadequate, the insulation/operating costs are inadequate, etc

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 03:20:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42