What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How long do you stay in your hot tub on average?  (Read 3670 times)

Sludge Factory

How long do you stay in your hot tub on average?
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:38:35 am »
Hello, I'm new here and I tried searching for this as I'm sure it's been discussed.  Evidently I am not using the correct search terms because I was unable to find it, so I apologize if this has been answered.  If you search on Google you'll find everywhere from 10 minutes or less to over 30. 

Hot Tub Forum

How long do you stay in your hot tub on average?
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:38:35 am »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: How long do you stay in your hot tub on average?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 12:54:55 pm »
Probably 20-30 minutes. Sometimes longer

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 02:48:42 pm »
usually 15-20 minutes

Sludge Factory

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 09:14:18 pm »
Thank you all.  I was just wondering if it was worth it to have a TV where we are thinking of putting a tub.  I'm afraid maybe I'll get to watching something and stay too long lol

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 07:39:37 am »
Music yes TV no. I have customers that will sit 3 hours and watch the game but most folks 15-20 mins I would say is average.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 08:36:39 am »
It depends on the person and also the temp you keep it at. We live up on the Great Lakes and we have summers that outside at night are in the 70s and winters where it gets as low as –30. So during the summer months the tub is set to a mode where it doesn’t heat during the day and comes on in the evening and only gets between 98-100. In the winter normally it is set 103-104 but if it is super cold 105-106 isn’t any too hot.

Before we got ours we used to hot tub quite a bit at a friends house. His tub was always extra warm around 105 in the summer. 10 to 15 minutes is all we could take and then you would end up sitting on the edge of the tub cooling off. I always thought they were more used to the heat. When we got ours I tried lots of things and got complaints if I got it too hot. Even now after 5 years we are still 1 degree different in what we like and wish I had half degree settings. But in general I would rather stay in longer slightly cooler than being driven out because its too hot.

Forget other entertainment in the tub it is really not worth it IMO. It is a nice place to get away from all that. Built in sound IMO is also a waste if you want some music get something portable and sit it on a shelf outside the tub. Alexa would work good as it is voice controlled.

We stay in ours 30-60 minutes most of the time. in the summer with cooler water but still warm I could stay in it for hours.

Everyone is different.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:51:10 am »

Forget other entertainment in the tub it is really not worth it IMO. It is a nice place to get away from all that. Built in sound IMO is also a waste if you want some music get something portable and sit it on a shelf outside the tub. Alexa would work good as it is voice controlled.

Pop up speakers no but a spa with molded 5.5" speakers Yes. The benefit is you don't need a lot of extra volume if you are in a populated area. Your head is right by the speaker and with the pumps running a portable stereo will need extra volume to hear that could piss off close neighbours. Awlays worry when I see customers with lights hanging over a spa or portable stereos with the cord long enough to reach the water. Usually with no GFCI in the wall plug
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:02:50 am by CanadianSpaTech »

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 09:22:19 am »

First off in the USA it is code that all outside outlets be GFCI and I believe it is in Canada as well, but I do agree it bothers me even with GFCI seeing anything 120VAC near a tub or pool.

IMO what we have is outdoor speakers that provide music to the whole deck and all the equipment to power them is inside the house.

Any music no matter where the speakers are located is going to sound bad competing with jets. Adding noise to noise just makes more noise IMO. The time for some low volume quality music is when the tub is being used for soaking.

I’m just not a fan in general for gadgets built into hot tubs. Even waterfalls and light shows don’t get used that much after the novelty wears off for most people. Our lights stay on blue year round and the waterfall gets turned on to show friends how it looks. Water and speakers just don’t mix for me.

I don’t want to discourage anyone that wants to try out features like this just my opinion on them.   

I agree being a good neighbor is important. Sound and visual should be taken into consideration when placing a hot tub.  ::)

Pop up speakers no but a spa with molded 5.5" speakers Yes. The benefit is you don't need a lot of extra volume if you are in a populated area. Your head is right by the speaker and with the pumps running a portable stereo will need extra volume to hear that could piss off close neighbours. Awlays worry when I see customers with lights hanging over a spa or portable stereos with the cord long enough to reach the water. Usually with no GFCI in the wall plug

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 09:44:41 am »
"First off in the USA it is code that all outside outlets be GFCI "...for houses built in the last 20-25 years. Most older houses only if the homeowner changed them out.
I agree most "upgrades" loose their appeal over time. Everyone leaves the waterfall closed and then when they do turn it on the smelly sagnet water sitting in the line blows out. Stereos have come a long way in recent years with Bluetooth and all related components inside the cabinet. When marine grade (car) stereos and pop up tv's first came out they were a warranty nightmare. Marine grade speakers will have a limited lifespan but not a huge investment to replace 5,8,10 years down the road. Lights...usually on red and only tub at night...daytime tubbing is just weird JMO

Sludge Factory

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 09:16:10 am »
thank you all for the responses. 

swilly1000

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 07:20:27 am »
I'm usually 15-30 minutes but that that is highly personal.

I agree with bud.  I'm a hard "no" on the TV.  Sometimes I bring some tunes out but mostly just me, the tub and the night sky.  Time to escape the noise of life whilst soaking.

Sludge Factory

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 01:02:04 pm »
The reason I asked is because the place where I'm thinking about putting the tub already has wiring for a tv to be hung.  I knew a guy long ago that used to talk about sitting in his hot tub and watching baseball games at night.  That actually sounded nice but I didn't think you could stay in them for that amount of time, so I figured I'd ask.  I'm glad I did.

bud16415

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 08:47:17 am »
The reason I asked is because the place where I'm thinking about putting the tub already has wiring for a tv to be hung.  I knew a guy long ago that used to talk about sitting in his hot tub and watching baseball games at night.  That actually sounded nice but I didn't think you could stay in them for that amount of time, so I figured I'd ask.  I'm glad I did.

You could but you would want the temp set lower. People hang out in swimming pools for hours and hours so that is no different than in a hot tub it is just water. The difference is if you have your water at 104-105 f it is great for relaxing and getting to sore muscles etc. but the heat like a sauna is draining. In the summer if I had the tub set to 99 f I could hang out in it all day and watch sports. It is a different usage of the tub and at 98-99 it is really a cool down tub not a hot tub. I have set ours to not come on during daytime in the summer and used it that way. 

I’m just curious you picked an unusual name for a Hot Tub forum. haha. I hope its not a premonition of your upcoming new tub.   

Sludge Factory

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 09:00:49 am »

You could but you would want the temp set lower. People hang out in swimming pools for hours and hours so that is no different than in a hot tub it is just water. The difference is if you have your water at 104-105 f it is great for relaxing and getting to sore muscles etc. but the heat like a sauna is draining. In the summer if I had the tub set to 99 f I could hang out in it all day and watch sports. It is a different usage of the tub and at 98-99 it is really a cool down tub not a hot tub. I have set ours to not come on during daytime in the summer and used it that way. 

I’m just curious you picked an unusual name for a Hot Tub forum. haha. I hope its not a premonition of your upcoming new tub.   

lol No let's sure hope not.  My name is from a song by Alice in Chains.  Maybe I should have put more thought into it for a hot tub forum lol.  Also, thanks for your reply.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 09:00:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42