What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I know what I want...What should I buy? (Yes, another newbie post)  (Read 8359 times)

abbydabbydo

Hi Gang! Thanks in advance for your help. I'm going to buy my first hot tub, but honestly, it's really hard, seems like there's a lot of smoke and mirrors in this industry! Prices are hidden, model reviews are hard to find, etc...

I know what I want, in order of importance. What do you recommend?

-Barrier free seating comfortable for 4 adults
-Whirlpool effect - I don't really don't massage or pressure point jets - strong jets actually usually hurt me. I just want bubbly, hot water
-Entry level price point, but long term value - I don't have a lot of dough, but don't want to buy something that costs me more in replacement/utilities/maintenance/if I buy too cheap :P
-Depth. Deep Deep Deep. A waterfall would do, instead/too.
-Weather Appropriateness - tub will be outside in Colorado, most evenings in the winter will be between 20-30. Days pretty warm - 40+. I want to use the tub at least twice a week, but daily would not be surprising, I travel to sit in hot water 3-4 times a week now!

Basically, I should buy a cedar soak tub, but they are waaaaay expensive. The Nordic classic series, Sundance Denali, Freeflow Aptos are all tubs I have checked out and liked based on internet research. But they also all seem to be carbon copies of each other at very different prices???!

Help me please...Thanks!!!! :-*

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: I know what I want...What should I buy? (Yes, another newbie post)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:32:37 am »
Marquis makes some great models with whirlpool jets and adjustable power.
Retired

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 01:07:28 pm »
Its all about what is available in your market.  You need to not only identify brands available, but look into the dealer and check to see if they are reputable.  From there, sit in them empty, and also wet test.  See pricing and report back here for a more complete answer to your question.

I hope that makes sense.  Good luck moving forward.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 05:31:17 pm »
I know what you want and I’m just a homeowner and when looking for tubs I wanted a therapeutic tub with jets and also a leisurely soaking experience when I wanted that. I didn’t find a lot that were great quality from a build point but simple in function and it seems the industry is moving away from simple soaking. Some tubs I swear have more jets than they do tub wall these days.

Ours has a whirlpool mode and I love it just circles the water around and we also have an air pump something most tubs have dropped. I like the air a lot except it cools the water and the blower is way to loud. Sounds like a shop vac running.

Some cheaper tubs are simpler but then you get into poor insulation and most likely not as deep.

Maybe some of the pros here can suggest a good soaking tub.       

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 06:15:33 pm »
Everyone has their own likes/dislikes. I happen to be a jets on-5% of the time, off-95% type person so I can relate. I must say I also have little use for the whirlpool and zero desire for a blower (actually less than zero) but to each his/her own.

Spas come at all different price points, jet counts, features ... Usually the people who have the most difficult search are those who want an entry level price yet still want a lot of jets thinking a higher jet count is a must as well as other desires but in the end it all adds up, nothing is for free.

Just visit your local dealers and tell them you're looking for 1) a spa at a good price point that doesn't skimp on shell or frame design, 2) doesn't need a high jet count, 3) can't skimp on insulation, needs to be same as their premium models, 4) -needs to be deep enough for the heights of those who'll go in (they'll be used to that need) and 5) just needs to have general controls. If it really needs to have a whirlpool jet that's fine but it'll eliminate a lot of possibilities. As you add other features like waterfalls, special lighting ... it'll add price and lessen the likely hood of you finding what you want within your budget.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 07:57:30 pm »
As to air jets/ blower, I seem to use them the most in the summer when it is hot out and the tub is set to cool during the day with heat at night. Kids seem to really like them as well. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 12:50:08 pm »
As to air jets/ blower, I seem to use them the most in the summer when it is hot out and the tub is set to cool during the day with heat at night. Kids seem to really like them as well.

Agreed, kids always like the blower but they also like mimes, Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles and Kool-Aid  ;D !

Also I totally agree if its a hot day and you want to cool the water blowers are good for that. Usually the controls can handle that job but if the water has crept due to excessive outside temps a blower will do a good job of cooling it down (conversely blowers are bad when you don't want the water temp to drop which is the case 90% of the time).

I'm certainly not a fan of the "hair dryer" sound, I notorious for wanting the jets off for that reason as well, I like peace and quiet as I close my eyes and pretend I'm the last man on earth! However, I'm not knocking anyone who likes to have a blower and if my spa had one that was already included that would be fine, I just wouldn't turn it on very often ;) !
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 02:54:01 pm »
What year did you buy your tub Bud?  Think blowers were no longer a option on 2016 or newer.  I'm the opposite, I like sitting in my tub with no jets on half the time

bud16415

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 11:30:12 am »
What year did you buy your tub Bud?  Think blowers were no longer a option on 2016 or newer.  I'm the opposite, I like sitting in my tub with no jets on half the time

It was 2014 I believe. It is a Caldera Geneva and the next year or two the Geneva underwent a model change and taking away the air pump was part of that. they made a couple changes I like and a few that I thought my old one was better.

I’m like you I get in the tub and my go to seat is the captain seat with the wrist jets. the neck jets that are above the water line and behind the head rest are about worthless but the wrist and hand jets I love. I do my back there for about 10 minutes and then switch seats to the other corner seat with the lower back jets. Maybe 10 minutes there and I shut it all off and enjoy nature. She goes straight for the recliner and never leaves.

When we have another couple with us sometimes they want to test everything out but if we just want to sit and talk the pumps are off or I just run the whirlpool on the low pump setting. it just moves the water slowly and is not loud at all. The lights do look nicer with water movement as well and the waterfall set on low is the same pump so those go together a lot with company. I almost never turn on the waterfall for us or change the lighting from the default blue for us.

The one feature I didn’t think we wanted is what I use the most and that is the second control panel inside the tub, 95% of everything gets done there.

As to the air pump it really stirs the water up not so much therapeutic as just fun for the kids in the summer or for the adults when you want the tub to look like a boiling caldron. When the lights are on red and the air pump is going it looks like a volcano haha. Great for Valentines Day.   

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 01:00:45 pm »
Crazy it’s been that long you’ve had it. Thought you got yours shortly before I switched my tub to a Geneva. Glad you are still enjoying it

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 01:54:19 pm »
Nordic Jubilee MS series would be a good choice, if it's not deep enough look at a Warrior XL round model....both would fit basically all the criteria you listed...good luck!

bud16415

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 03:38:16 pm »
Crazy it’s been that long you’ve had it. Thought you got yours shortly before I switched my tub to a Geneva. Glad you are still enjoying it

Yep we still love it and I could have been a year off as I kind of went back and it was late 2015 actually we got it. Have had good luck with it for the most part one leak a hose clamp came off and I might have another now as my water goes down very slightly, but then again it could be the cover. It’s getting waterlogged and this summer I should do something with it. the outsides look like new but not sure about replacing the insides or just getting a new one.

Hoping it is around a good long while. 

abbydabbydo

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 06:10:04 pm »
Hi Everyone! It took me this long to get logged back in, I couldn't comment on all your nice replies! I  just wanted to say thank you. Would anyone recommend or not recommend the Nordic brand? Can anyone tell me appropriate prices for the Impulse and Queen XL?

castletonia

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 06:24:29 pm »
I don't know pricing, but I would have no issue recommending Nordic.  Sold them for 7-8 years and they are a simple, reliable hot tub and they offered good support.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 06:34:25 pm »
Hi Everyone! It took me this long to get logged back in, I couldn't comment on all your nice replies! I  just wanted to say thank you. Would anyone recommend or not recommend the Nordic brand? Can anyone tell me appropriate prices for the Impulse and Queen XL?

need more info...upgraded lighting? upgraded wood cabinet? upgraded insulation package? cover, steps, and lifter included? you should be in the 4,500-6k range depending on options though...great tubs, we sold 64 of them last year
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:36:32 pm by BullFrogSpasMN »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 06:34:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42