What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ACE Saltwater System on my 2012 Sovereign  (Read 3278 times)

bdoer748

ACE Saltwater System on my 2012 Sovereign
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:20:47 am »
Newby to the forum and newby to the hot tub world.  Have a 2012 Hot Springs Sovereign with the ACE saltwater system.  Filled the hot tub and added the necessary chemicals and balanced my ph, chlorine etc.  Bought hot tub salt for the ACE.  Manual states to put in 4.5 cups of salt for my model but the back of the package on the salt says I need 8 cups.   I added 4.5 cups like the manual states but my green light is still flashing on the outside of the tub and the water icon is still flashing on my control panel.  The message states low salt/clean cell still.  So I turned the power off and took the cell outta the filter and made the cleaning solution with PH down.  Let it set for 10 minutes and took it out.  Didnt notice any bubbles removing calcium buildup.  Cleaning it didn't help.  Still get the green flashing light on the outside of the hot tub and the water icon flashing.  Is it because I only added 4.5 cups whereas the back of the salt package states 8 cups?  Only thing I havent gotten is a salt test strip to confirm if the salt level is really low or not which I will get after work tonight.  If the cell is actually dead I really don't want to buy one as I've read they dont last long.  What is the ppm suppose to be at?  I've read 1750ppm but then the manual stated 1000ppm?  Is there a way to bypass the ACE all together.  Or what are the necessary steps in just removing it?  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

ACE Saltwater System on my 2012 Sovereign
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:20:47 am »

castletonia

Re: ACE Saltwater System on my 2012 Sovereign
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 12:33:07 pm »
1750 ppm is what the salt should be.  The range is between 1500ppm - 2000ppm.  It will probably read low salt until you get at or close to the 1500ppm.  You need to either get salt test strips, a Taylor salt test kit or bring your water in to a pool/hot tub store to have tested.  Until then you're going blind.

I would expect a salt cell on a Sovereign to last in the 2.5-3 year range, but the output setting and how often/little you use boost will affect the life of the cell.  If the cell is bad and you choose to not replace it, you will need to disconnect the power supply from the IQ2020 control box, remove the cell, get a new pass-thru plug and filter cap. 

bdoer748

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 12:43:04 pm »
I will buy salt test strips once I get off of work.  If the cell is indeed bad i'll just take the system out.  Can you show me via links what these parts look like?  Is it something I can just goto a pool/spa store and theyll have?  Thanks again for your help.  It's greatly appreciated.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 01:32:26 pm »
I can't figure out for the life of me how to attach pictures.  The filter cap is part 36513 and the pass-thru fitting is 73480.  You will have to get the parts either from your local Hot Spring retailer or an online retailer.

bdoer748

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 02:29:46 pm »
Sweet!  Thanks again.  I just bought salt test strips on my break.  So ill test for salt first when I get home and add as needed.  If it gets above 1500ppm and still says low salt I know the cell is bad and ill remove.  My local Hot Springs dealer has both of the parts as well.  Thanks again! Im assuming if it comes to me removing the system due to a bad cell......once I remove it that green light will stop blinking and stay solid?

castletonia

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 06:25:44 pm »
Correct.  Currently the electronics know that you have ACE and know that something isn't correct, which is why the blinking light.  If you disconnect the ACE controller from the IQ2020 box them if everything else is good and working on the hot tub, the green light should go solid.

bdoer748

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 10:07:46 am »
Well.....turns out after all my ACE does work and its back online and its in the OK range.  Sat in the hot tub last night for the first time and now im having one other issue.  Posted another thread about it.  Will check out the double moto massage jets tonight as they're not going up and down.  Filters are brand new and messing with the air control valve did nothing.  It feels like the jet wants to go up and down but it doesn't.  Im assuming its the original jets as its a 2012 so its pry time to order new ones.  Easy installation as I watched video of it.  Only challenging part will be doing this with water in the tub as I dont want to drain any water out as I just got my salt levels correct lol  Do I have to shut off power when changing out the moto massage jets or no?  Thanks.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 10:53:58 am »
Well.....turns out after all my ACE does work and its back online and its in the OK range.  Sat in the hot tub last night for the first time and now im having one other issue.  Posted another thread about it.  Will check out the double moto massage jets tonight as they're not going up and down.  Filters are brand new and messing with the air control valve did nothing.  It feels like the jet wants to go up and down but it doesn't.  Im assuming its the original jets as its a 2012 so its pry time to order new ones.  Easy installation as I watched video of it.  Only challenging part will be doing this with water in the tub as I dont want to drain any water out as I just got my salt levels correct lol  Do I have to shut off power when changing out the moto massage jets or no?  Thanks.

The assembly is easy to change out. I'd do a partial drain to make it easier then get in but you could try while full first (got a simple scuba mask?).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bdoer748

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 11:38:40 am »
No scuba mask.  Ill just drain it to make it easier.  Im sure it wont take that much salt to get in the Ok range again as far as the ACE system goes.  Hopefully my local Hot Springs dealer has these jets in stock along with the air manifold. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 04:39:43 pm »
No scuba mask.  Ill just drain it to make it easier.  Im sure it wont take that much salt to get in the Ok range again as far as the ACE system goes.  Hopefully my local Hot Springs dealer has these jets in stock along with the air manifold.

You won't need to do a full drain.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bdoer748

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 09:13:57 am »
Update......both moto jets were toast and ended up getting new ones.  These were 9 years old so I guess they were due.  Won't have to worry about them going bad for a long time now!  I ended up not draining any of the water and changing out the jets.  Harder to see but it really didn't make it that much more difficult.  Jets work great!  Me and the wife fight over the lounger in our Sovereign with the double moto jets now lol 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 09:13:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42