What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Niagara vs. Hot Spring Pulse  (Read 3205 times)

outdoorfan

Caldera Niagara vs. Hot Spring Pulse
« on: January 27, 2020, 06:28:17 pm »
Thanks for all the input on earlier threads.  I'm about the push the button on one of these.  As always, your feedback/opinion on price and feature comparisons are welcome!

2019 Floor model Pulse with Salt, cover, lifter, delivery: $11,399
* Dealer says if I want a different color they could probably get me inventory pricing on a 2020 which is worth about another $1000
* I'm working to add steps, umbrella, handrail and a swap of the existing Salt system for Ozone (my preference) in lieu of the 2020 offer

2019 Floor model Niagara with Ozone, cover, lifter, steps, delivery: $12,995

My thoughts:

1. I only wet tested the Pulse and a Reunion
2. The Niagara seems a bit more premium looking
3. The styling on the Pulse looks a bit boxy, but looks/feels a lot bigger inside than the Niagara
4. Leaning heavily to Pulse due to brand, lighting configuration and size/volume and especially price
5. If I can swing all the extras I'm aiming for with the Pulse, that one seems like a clear winner

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Niagara vs. Hot Spring Pulse
« on: January 27, 2020, 06:28:17 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Caldera Niagara vs. Hot Spring Pulse
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:52:37 pm »
Can you try Niagara?  It would be a step up in the Watkins price  ladder. You said one of the reasons was brand. Did you know that they were both made on same line with most external parts being the same?  Think they are both good tubs and if the pulse fits your needs then go for it. As a Caldera dealer the price you are getting on Niagara is fairly low. I believe the Pulse price is good as well. I would suggest before making up your mind for sure to wet test Niagara. If you still like the pulse better go for it but at least you will know for sure. Either way you are getting a great tub!

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:39:36 pm »
As a combo dealer for both Hot Spring and Caldera I would say you are doing yourself a disservice if you discount the Caldera just because it is not a Hot Spring.  Hot Spring and Caldera are both Watkins brands, those models are made in the same factory and share many of the same components.  Technically, the Niagara is the more premium of the two.

The prices you are getting on both are good prices.  I would say the Niagara price is a better price than the Pulse.  Aesthetics are a personal preference.  I do agree that the look of the Niagara is premium however a lot of people love the lights and design of the Pulse.  I have personally sat in a Pulse numerous times and really like the hot tub.  As Hottubguy said, try to test each.  Assuming the $1600 difference is not your only deciding factor, let the wet test and your trust in each dealer be the final deciding factors.

outdoorfan

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 03:20:11 am »
Thanks for the great advice.  I found and wet tested a Niagara.

I found the Niagara to be quite uncomfortable. Too much of a good thing maybe.
Too many contours and specific fitting seating that didn't allow for much spreading out and ease of movement.
Most of the seating seemed designed for much shorter people (I'm 6') and trying to slouch down in the Niagara in any way led me to bump up against the heavily leaning/slanted/sunken seating surfaces/angles.  The headrests were basically completely useless due to my height with the exception of one corner seat, but even that was a bit cramped. 

I found the diverter combinations complicated to deal with to try to find the right focus or mix of jets and though I was fond of the center "volcano" jet on the Salina, the two offset "volcano" jets in the Niagara were just in the wrong place to make them useful.  The "shoulder" massage jets seemed more gimmicky than useful and the jets in general felt less powerful than the Salina - maybe because they overdid it on the jet count and didn't compensate with more pump power.

The lighting on Caldera spas too seems to be focused at eye level rather than up lighting coming from the interior of the spa under the water.  I  don't want so many lights in my eyes and prefer the lighting to be filling the water space.

The touch screen control was really hard to use when wet.  Selections wouldn't register or would register the thing next to it often.  I found myself frustrated just trying to set a few basic things for lighting and jets.

I have ultimately decided on the Pulse.  While not as striking looking from outside (The spa interior is a bit boxy and utilitarian looking), when inside, there's much more freedom of movement, the lighting is far superior (immersive up lighting) and the controls simpler (diverters, hard button keypad).

I'm a bit happier with the Caldera dealer than the Hot Springs one, but in the end they're both good.

I was able to get a 2020 Pulse ordered for $11,400 (same price as 2019 in stock floor model).  I still need to add my own steps (and rail / umbrella) to that deal but overall it's a good enough price and the spa is what I'm looking for.

So speaking of steps, rail and umbrella, the retail price for these at the dealer seems outrageous.  Are there any good places online to buy these at slightly lower prices?  Any recommendations on brand / model for these items?  I don't suppose I need to buy the Watkins versions of these if there are better quality ones out there.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:31:40 pm by outdoorfan »

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 01:24:21 pm »
Congrats!  You did good.

I have never sold or seen any of the spa umbrellas so I can't help there.  I sell the Sure Step Handrail /Handrail 360 by Byron Originals (http://www.stepnstow.com/products/handrails.html).  Very happy with both, though I sell more of the 360 version.  The Hot Spring steps are nice but if you are looking for something else, look into Leisure Concepts.  They have a variety of steps. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 11:58:04 pm »
That’s why wet testing is important. Got yourself a great tub, enjoy it!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 11:58:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42