What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ???tiger river vs. down east  (Read 6437 times)

outbackjack

???tiger river vs. down east
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:57:40 am »
We are looking at the Tiger River Siberian for $7350 and the Down East Windsor SE for $6950.  We've wet tested the Siberian and plan on wet testing the Windsor. Are these comparable tubs? How important is it to have a dealer close ?  The Siberian dealeris 5 miles away, the Winsor dealer is 40 miles away.  ?

Hot Tub Forum

???tiger river vs. down east
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:57:40 am »

spaguyohio

Re:  ???tiger river vs. down east
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 11:15:03 am »
Well the windsor is a hell of a tub. The SE is 3 pump, 8x8. Someone on here just bought one recently, dont remember if it was the SE model or not.  I know from past posts on various boards, cash price on that Windsor SE would be around 6600 with cover, steps.

40 miles isnt bad. The way I look at it, is even the local guy could be swamped and couldnt get to you as quick as you would like.

As long as dealer is reputable, either one should be good. YOU are the one who is supposed to be happy with the spa. If YOU like the feel, then YOU buy it, dont be swayed by na-sayers.

Chris_H

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 11:22:16 am »
You are going to get a lot of answers to your question.  

The warranty on the Tiger River is 5 year on the components and 3 years on the exterior siding.  There should be some Master Spa people that will elaborate on the Downeast warranty.  I believe it is a 3-year component warranty and maybe a year on the exterior siding.  Stuart, some help please.

Dealer availability is extremely important in the purchase of a portable spa.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 11:54:12 am »
These decisions need to factor in such things as wet test results, dealer & manufacturer reputation, warranty, visual appearance, sturdiness, insulating quality, etc. As far as the locations of the dealer, certainly the closer dealer is an advantage in case you want to stop in or if you have a nuisance issue for them to check on. I would make sure the farther dealer wouldn’t be charging you a travel fee for service (you might want to get that in writing).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 12:14:27 pm »
There should be some Master Spa people that will elaborate on the Downeast warranty.  I believe it is a 3-year component warranty and maybe a year on the exterior siding.

Here is the warranty blurb from the Master Spas site:

"Master Spas offers our exclusive Master Advantage Warranty. Every portable spa manufactured and sold carries a five-year warranty on plumbing and electrical parts and labor. The shell itself carries a seven-year surface and 10-year structural warranty."

I did not find any warranty information specific to Downeast on the Downeast site.  Maybe a Downeast owner can elaborate....
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

spaguyohio

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 12:27:28 pm »
I called my buddy who has one, and he gave this info on the warranty:

Structural/surface - 5 yrs.
Plumbing / equipment/skirting - 2yrs

upgradeable to 5 yr warranty - 450.00. Dont know if there is a markup there or not by the dealer.  

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 12:46:11 pm »
Both are great tubs, by great manufacturers.  Hot Spring backed Tiger River is a little more well known than Master but that shouldn't sway your vote either way.  The only truely helpful suggestion that anyone on this board can make----WET TEST.  You wouldn't spend ~$7k on a car without test driving it would you.  

The salesman at the store will tell you about the specific features.

Some of the "regulars" here will bash either side.

But only you know what feels good to you!

You have a tuff desicion ahead of you.

Good Luck Jack!
¿

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 01:02:42 pm »
The Tiger River website does have a warranty section that is simple to follow. As was stated earlier, the Downeast website does not so its important to really compare warranties. Both should be good about backing their product but you need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples on length of warranty.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 02:15:21 pm »
exclusions......exclusions....exclusions.....if you just look into to those when reading the warranty it will tell what is really covered no matter who makes the spa....

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 10:07:38 pm »
We got the Tiger River Siberian last month for $7100, deliv. , steps, cover, lifter and starter chemicals included. I have to admit that I did not shop around a long time for this decision. We enjoy the tub and the foot jets were what made it a good choice for us. For the money it is a good size tub. It does increase the electric bill, by more than $1 /day but then it is hard to determine by how much considering we had dehumidifier and fans going during the same time.

But back to the tub, no regrets! A seat for everyone! Good luck with your wet testing!
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 10:34:17 pm »
You are going to get a lot of answers to your question.  

The warranty on the Tiger River is 5 year on the components and 3 years on the exterior siding.  There should be some Master Spa people that will elaborate on the Downeast warranty.  I believe it is a 3-year component warranty and maybe a year on the exterior siding.  Stuart, some help please.

Dealer availability is extremely important in the purchase of a portable spa.  

Chris,
I will refrain from my usual tone on the Downeast/Master as I'm trying desperately to stick to my truce with WSD (It seems mother nature has been beating him up enough lately!)  however, I do believe the Tiger River has a longer and more inclusive warranty.

I have dealt with both companies and found Watkins to be far superior in the handling of warranty issues. I personally like the TR better all the way around but have to suggest looking at two other entry level products by other manufactures; Marquis everyday series and the D1 @home spas. Both are positioned similarly to the ones mentioned and will give some shopping options.

I will look at my current Downeast dealer manual when I'm back at work and see what the warranty is (it would be so nice if every manufacture would put their full warranty on the internet!)

lynnette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 11:55:20 pm »
We have the Tiiger River Caspian, paid $7100. The Siberian the largest tub of the Tiger River line, your getting a great price for it.  We love our Caspian have had it for about 6 weeks.  Tiger River has very good insulation, good warranity, and the jet power is great in our Caspian. You won't be sorry if you purchase the Tiger River.  Good Luck.  Lynnette  ;) ;) ;)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 05:10:45 pm »
Chris,
I will refrain from my usual tone on the Downeast/Master as I'm trying desperately to stick to my truce with WSD (It seems mother nature has been beating him up enough lately!)

stuart,
You are 'da man'!  Fortunately, we escaped unscathed....wish I could say that for our neighbors to the west.  But please don't let Mother Nature's reprive inspire you........ ;) ;) ;)
BTW, the biggest hit I took with Ivan was putting a sizeable hole in my smallest sail after going over the 'handlebars' while windsurfing in 35-40 mph winds!  What a rush!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 05:10:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42