What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Placing Hot Tub on Pavers Help!!  (Read 5689 times)

gina_nicole

Placing Hot Tub on Pavers Help!!
« on: January 21, 2020, 01:58:33 pm »
Feel like I've read every thread possible but looking for a simple answer I can't seem to find anywhere!! I currently have this paver patio laid in my backyard and I wanted to know if I can place the hot tub on top of the pavers that are already laid. As you can see, the pavers are slightly uneven (its very slight, less than an inch with some in the middle being a little higher than where the outsides would like) and I know hot tubs are supposed to be level.

Here are photos: https://ibb.co/5FD5W3c
https://ibb.co/981vTN5

My question is what is the best way to level the hot tub on this surface?

Is there a need to buy Handi-Spa pads and will placing a Spa Pad over this area make the hot tub sink in more level? https://www.spadepot.com/Handi-Spa-Pads-Box-of-3-P847?zmam=55673001&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=AC1058&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-e07aSV5wIVnv_jBx0o5AiREAQYBSABEgJllvD_BwE are what I am referring to

Can I just buy heavy duty wedges and slide them around the hot tub to make up for the extra space? https://www.amazon.com/Ez-Shim-Heavy-Duty-Shims-count/dp/B002Y0LIQE

Is another option to lay a level of gravel down to try to make up for some of the unevenness on top of the rocks?
Or can someone just tell me if this uneven paver really isnt that terrible and I really shouldn't worry about it in the long run? Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! :) hot tub is here next week so I do not wan to dig up the pavers. I can always get a pad and put it on the grass but I've read pavers are a good choice.

Thank you!!

Hot Tub Forum

Placing Hot Tub on Pavers Help!!
« on: January 21, 2020, 01:58:33 pm »

bud16415

Re: Placing Hot Tub on Pavers Help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 03:46:04 pm »
You want the pad both level and flat. Those are two different things. Level means the water wont be high on one side and low on the other. I would say level within a half inch is a reasonable goal and you may want it slightly out of level to allow water (rain) to drain away from the house. Flat is the other condition. A hot tub full of water will weigh maybe 6000 pounds. You don’t want to stress the tub and frame having it just sitting on a high spot. Of course there is limits to how flat is flat but if you have an inch I would say that is way to much. I wouldn’t use wedges as the tub needs support in the center as well as the sides and I wouldn’t want wedges sticking out.

It is easy with a 4’ level and a nice straight 2x4 to check the area you want the tub. It is also easy to pull up a high paver and remove a little sand and reset the paver. It is just as easy to pull a low one and add some sand.

I would take the time maybe a few hours and make it right before they show up. You also have to plan the location for your GFCI and how you will be running power to the tub.

Welcome to the forum and to your new tub. I was in mine this morning it was about 20f out and a wonderful time. You look like a warmer place but think about your location and the views and what direction the cover will open etc. 

gina_nicole

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 06:05:47 pm »
thanks for the reply here - those pavers are actually cemented very nicely/tightly together - i am not sure I am going to be able to remove them on my own and unfortunately, don't have anyone handy that can do it nearby. it sounds like I'd be safer with adding a spa pad into the grass and putting it on top of there? it's so hard for me to tell because some of them are just slightly raised, when I eyeball it, seems like it would be evened out pretty well, but spending over 5k on the tub, would like it to last. theres a few in the middle that are slightly raised and it evens out on the outsides, its under an inch all around.

is there any sense in laying gravel over the top of the pavers or any other suggestions? the outlet is going right where those pavers are, so thats why im trying to have it placed there, there is a power box near by - totally looking forward to the lake views and the tub! thanks for the help!

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:09:48 pm »
From what little I can tell from your photos the paver pad looks flat enough. It does look like the pad slopes from the house down to the lawn area. That tilt wont effect your tub working but will make the water a little deeper on one side.

What kind of tub is it and what voltage? If it is a smaller 120V tub that will likely not be so noticeable if it just plugs in I would try it on the pad and see how it goes. You can always drain it and move it at any time if it is a plug n play tub. It would take a couple big guys to slide it.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 09:10:52 am »
I agree they look flat enough. But use a straight 2x4x8 to check that slope. A 1/2" is OK. But an inch can be an eyesore for the water in the tub.
Retired

gina_nicole

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 12:41:06 pm »
the tub is a 240v - i was more worried about the unevenness throughout the bottom of the tub rather than the slope - the hot tub will be just before the sloping starts - the pavers themselves are a little unlevel, with a few of them being > 1/2 inch higher than the other - thats where I laid the door down to show at the top the door isnt touching the pavers but its minimal space. I am thinking when the hot tub is full it will actually settle nicely on top of the pavers since there is just dirt/sand underneath?

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 02:30:44 pm »
It looks like they laid 3 rows level next to the building and then tapered down the slope. You don’t want the tub tight to the building anyway as it is nice to leave a few feet if you ever have to open that side. So stay away and that wont be an issue.

Your 240V supply needs an outside GFCI breaker sub panel and it has to be in sight of the tub with easy access and must be at least 5’ from the water in the tub. 

swilly1000

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 10:05:43 am »
How closely does the tub size align with the area covered by the pavers? I prefer a snug fit aesthetically.  Have you thought about placement in open air?  I love looking at the stars on a clear night.  And being in a snow fall.  And feeling a breeze on a sunny day.

One of the more fun pieces of the installation puzzle for me was placement of the tub.  Be careful not to let the existing pavers be the trump card in this decision.  Your long term enjoyment factor is way more important than fitting it into an existing space.  And not having it be perfectly level would always bother the heck out of me.  I like just looking at my outdoor space and putting the tub on uneven ground would be a forever visual reminder that I didn't take the time and effort to do it right.  On the flip side, I am always gratified when I'm looking at my space that my concrete pad contractor, electrician and me nailed the install by paying attention to the details.  Just sayin'.

Last point.....I strongly agree that placing the tub right beside the building is bad idea.  Not being able to access that one side aside (😜) it's nice to be able to walk around the entire tub and let it be a focal point in the space.  Being crammed up beside the building just doesn't "feel" right, especially beside the cinder blocks.  A table and chairs would be a good fit on the pavers IMO.  But it's your feel that is more important. Just adding some thoughts.

Here's a link to mine on the day it was delivered.  Note the nice fit to the concrete pad....and away from the house and those cinder blocks lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ae7YFy5kHLBpXDs76

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:49:51 am by swilly1000 »

bud16415

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 02:23:15 pm »
How closely does the tub size align with the area covered by the pavers? I prefer a snug fit aesthetically.  Have you thought about placement in open air?  I love looking at the stars on a clear night.  And being in a snow fall.  And feeling a breeze on a sunny day.

One of the more fun pieces of the installation puzzle for me was placement of the tub.  Be careful not to let the existing pavers be the trump card in this decision.  Your long term enjoyment factor is way more important than fitting it into an existing space.  And not having it be perfectly level would always bother the heck out of me.  I like just looking at my outdoor space and putting the tub on uneven ground would be a forever visual reminder that I didn't take the time and effort to do it right.  On the flip side, I am always gratified when I'm looking at my space that my concrete pad contractor, electrician and me nailed the install by paying attention to the details.  Just sayin'.

Last point.....I strongly agree that placing the tub right beside the building is bad idea.  Not being able to access that one side aside (😜) it's nice to be able to walk around the entire tub and let it be a focal point in the space.  Being crammed up beside the building just doesn't "feel" right, especially beside the cinder blocks.  A table and chairs would be a good fit on the pavers IMO.  But it's your feel that is more important. Just adding some thoughts.

Here's a link to mine on the day it was delivered.  Note the nice fit to the concrete pad....and away from the house and those cinder blocks lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ae7YFy5kHLBpXDs76

Good luck!

Everyone is different and how they use their tub and geographic location plays a big roll.

I had our open deck built and the power ready to go and I knew I wanted the tub close to the door and how I wanted the tub oriented for the views. So we got it in and it was late summer and we loved the open air concept. Star gazing and watching falling stars and high altitude jets on a moon lit night were amazing. Then fall came and the rainy season started and half the time we were avoiding the tub because of weather. I sat in the tub one night holding an umbrella and picturing going out mid winter and finding 6-12 inches of snow on the cover and the walkway or when a strong wind on a sub zero night and we often get –10-20f here.

Right around thanksgiving that first year I decided I wanted the tub covered and a system of quick placement wind and weather breaks for the sides. I built a pergola structure and then attached a metal roof to that 10x10 for an 8x8 tub roughly. I then made waterproof fabric sides that can be hung at any height above the lip of the tub. without them up the view out is still great and keeping rain off us is great. In the winter the sides go on and off in 5 minutes depending on the weather and the forecast. I can’t say I love being closed in but I like it much better than not using the tub at all.

If we lived in a southern climate my setup would be quite different.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 02:23:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42