What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater salt vs ozone (ozonator)?  (Read 7286 times)

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Freshwater salt vs ozone (ozonator)?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 07:12:24 pm »
I probably check my salt tub every 10 days to a couple of weeks. When I was using spa frog/ozone I checked it maybe 1-2 times a week. Had to add a bit more chemicals with spa frog/ozone. With salt I add a little liquid chlorine here and there and a bit of ph down here and there

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 07:12:24 pm »

ratchett

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 07:31:21 am »
It seems like the Saltwater system will let me check and adjust once a week vs. once a day with the ozonator?

I know you were asking for more info from saltwater users but just to clarify....

I just follow the instructions from my dealer. I was told to not bother testing chlorine levels with my setup - in fact they offered to throw away the chlorine drop test included with the PH testing kit.

I only perform one test once per month - measuring PH, and that's it.

ReviveSpas

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 03:31:33 pm »
I run ozone with it as well. I personally love salt and I have a lot of customers that love it as well.  I will say the jury is out on the "Freshwater System"(cartridge). I cant really give a truly educated opinion until it has been in the field longer. We actually run ozone with our Freshwater system which HS actually advises against doing. A couple of bigger dealers like us are doing that too from what I understand. What I can say is that I have had almost zero phone calls about water issues this entire year of selling it heavy. Almost every limelight and highlife we have sold this year out of my location has salt.We all own spas that run salt in my store so that definitely factors into that. I have customers who are running the cartridge well past 5 months with zero issues. The shortest life we have seen is around 3 months. I was almost shocked at how many people are still on the first cartridge. We do run a lower level on them because of the ozone so we really get the life out of the cartridge. A lot of dealers talk about lockout and phosphate issues but knock on wood we have not run into anything on that as of yet. I would be curious to hear more dealer feedback on their experience.

Pokerwiggs2

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 05:42:21 pm »
This is one of those personal prefences. 

I run a salt clorinator on my pool and ozone on my hot tub.   In the end if you other water chemestry is good, both systems will be just fine.

For BOTH look at the long term cost of ownership.  What is the cost to replace the Ozone or Salt system?  How long do each typicaly last?   Also and very importantly can you use 3rd party replacement parts?

I've found that Watkins like a lot of companies can be just evil on replacemetn parts cost if there is not a competitor keeping them honest.

For me I run Ozone, almost bought a new hot tub this year and was planning on sticking with Ozone as the OE replacement costs for Salt was pretty high.    Ozone generators from Watkins are also expensive, yet I run a simple 3rd partry Ozone generaor (that's $99 from Amazon)  They seem to work as well as the OE as my water is always crystal clear.

Keeping a jar of shock near the tub and putting in a few oz  once a week or so not an issue.  I don't put it in all the time - but doing so only takes a few seconds. 

Backcountryluv

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 12:31:40 am »

I'm not sure I'm any more convinced by either one, but I think I'm leaning toward the Salt system.

What did you decide in the end? My thoughts and questions are exactly the same as yours.  I’m so stuck on whether to go with saltwater system or not. 

ratchett

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 07:25:02 am »
I’m so stuck on whether to go with saltwater system or not.

If it helps make up your mind one way or another, ask your dealer for a price on the replacement Freshwater Salt cell cartridges.  You'll need three per year.

The Freshwater Salt cartridge is a proprietary part only available from Watkins for Hotspring and Caldera tubs.  Since it only came out two years ago, there is still no online market for these replacement cartridges.  The few vendors I found online were charging the same price as the local dealer, although recently I noticed all these online vendors have replaced the price with a "Call for Pricing" message, so I don't know what that's all about (maybe short supply? Maybe Watkins doesn't want online vendors selling these replacement parts).

Six months on my ozonator/dichlor setup and perfectly content (Silver mineral cartridge in the main filter).  I add a teaspoon of dichlor after every soak (per 30 minutes), and add baking soda when the PH gets low (testing monthly).  That's basically it for my care/maintenance aside from washing/rotating the filters

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 07:25:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42