What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Expectations for low maintenance / advice please  (Read 8460 times)

optimumchaos

Expectations for low maintenance / advice please
« on: January 05, 2020, 08:48:25 pm »
I’m looking into my first hot tub purchase, and am hoping for some advice and opinions. I have been disappointed (but not surprised) at how much maintenance hot tubs seem to need. I think I can tolerate a monthly filter cleaning, but not daily chemical monitoring. With that in mind, I’m looking at an Arctic Fox, which they say can automatically monitor PH and adjust salinity for sanitization (the “spa boy”). Will that make my daily or weekly hot tub use almost effortless as the marketing indicates?

Here is the scenario In my mind: I haven’t used my tub for a few days, maybe a week. It’s below freezing outside. I go out, brush the snow off, and remove the cover.

With a “standard” hot tub: I take a water sample, add some chemicals, take another, add some more. I’m in my coat, boots, and hat because it’s freezing by the way. 15 minutes later I  have it all balanced out. Now I have to go in and change, and see if my wife has given up. Next time I decide to avoid the trouble and spend that 15 minutes reading a book.

With the Arctic tub: Sanitization is managed for me and I already checked the PH balance from my phone before going outside, so we just get right in.

In summary, I think a hot tub will be worth my while if it will be ready for me when I want it without requiring me to fiddle with it. Is that a realistic expectation?  Do you have one of these automatic tubs, and if so, what work does it save you?

I’d appreciate any opinions!

Hot Tub Forum

Expectations for low maintenance / advice please
« on: January 05, 2020, 08:48:25 pm »

ratchett

Re: Expectations for low maintenance / advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:38:52 am »
I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation at all.  Although I don't know the specifics of the Arctic Spa systems or how well they work in practice (haven't seen too many people talking about the spa boy system yet).   But it's not unrealistic to have a low maintenance spa.

I bought my first hottub recently from a dealer located next to a large well known retirement community - given their target audience, they focus on quality service and low maintenance routines for their elderly clientele haha.  After shopping around reviewing various flagship spa models, I opted for the Hotspring Jetsetter and find water maintenance even more simple than I could ever imagine:

* Add half a teaspoon of dichlor 56 chlorine (per person per 30 minutes, rounding up) AFTER soaking in the tub
* Once per month clean/rotate the three ceramic filters and test the PH (add baking soda if ph is low). 

That's it, and my water has remained crystal clear, and my skin has no chlorine smell after bathing which lets me hop right into bed after soaking - no showering needed.

Otherwise no maintenance is needed aside from replacing a silver ion cartridge every four months and refilling the tub once a year. My dealer told me to not bother with anything else unless I have a problem (which I haven't so far in nearly two months of ownership and daily use) - only shock the tub after a large party with multiple soakers in the tub or if the water turns cloudy (which it hasn't so far).

Note I opted for the traditional ozonator / silver ion water care as opposed to the newer fancier "Freshwater Salt" system which I hear from users can be hit or miss (some users have a great experience, others get frustrated with the initial testing/balancing of the water and adding extra chlorine constantly during initial balancing).  My spa is equipped with the salt system if I wanted to switch over to it but I have no need given the simplicity of my routine and how little chlorine odor there is a day later when I use the tub again. Although to be honest since my spa *has* saltwater capability, I may opt to try it out one year once my ozonator fails in a few years.

That said, I will note that I am absolutely a beginner myself and I have very limited knowledge of other brands. Just giving some feedback based on my experiences as a new owner from one of the larger name-brands in the industry.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:01:06 am by ratchett »

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 10:46:25 am »
Here is our routine after five years living with our Caldera Geneva that came with the inline frog system that hasn’t been used in four years.

Winter or summer I go out and open the tub each evening this takes about 30 seconds and because I located the tub 3’ from the door and it has a covered pergola over it there is no snow and ice to remove. I go back in the house and jump in the shower if we are both going in the tub we both shower the shower takes maybe 5 minutes and is just off the door leading to the tub. I get out of the shower and go straight into the tub leaving our towels right inside the door. We soak about 10 minutes still water and then power the jets and move from seat to seat for about 10-15 minutes each. Each seat gets a different area of the body and there are 3 main therapeutic seats we mostly switch between. We then shut off the jets or select the whirlpool setting and sit and talk for as long as we feel like it. we normally enjoy the water for about 1-1.5 hours. We get out and both winter and summer after a hot soak I just take a few minutes to cool off in the outside air. We dry off and I always take a few minutes to moisturize. Then I go back out to close the tub in a robe etc. Before I close it I cycle the 10 minute clean cycle and then I add ether 1 tablespoon of dichlor or 1/3 cup of household bleach. That takes less than 1 minute to do. I close the tub and that’s it. On the weekend I will go out and test the water and maybe make a tweak if needed. Once a month I will pull the filter and clean it with hot water 150f I have right on the deck with a needle jet hose nozzle. After I replace the filter I will sometimes give it a non-chlorine shock.

If we have guests join us I will double up on the chlorine when we get out.

I use this method because it is the cheapest and it seems with all automatic methods there is still a need for making corrections based on bather load etc. if I have to try and figure out if I need to supplement half or one teaspoons why not just add one tablespoon. Over the years when I test the water right after we get out the chlorine is high when I add it and by the next time we get in it is very low or even zero. So when we soak it is always at its lowest point. It is as simple as it gets IMO.       

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 11:51:35 am »
I’m looking into my first hot tub purchase, and am hoping for some advice and opinions. I have been disappointed (but not surprised) at how much maintenance hot tubs seem to need. I think I can tolerate a monthly filter cleaning, but not daily chemical monitoring. With that in mind, I’m looking at an Arctic Fox, which they say can automatically monitor PH and adjust salinity for sanitization (the “spa boy”). Will that make my daily or weekly hot tub use almost effortless as the marketing indicates?

Here is the scenario In my mind: I haven’t used my tub for a few days, maybe a week. It’s below freezing outside. I go out, brush the snow off, and remove the cover.

With a “standard” hot tub: I take a water sample, add some chemicals, take another, add some more. I’m in my coat, boots, and hat because it’s freezing by the way. 15 minutes later I  have it all balanced out. Now I have to go in and change, and see if my wife has given up. Next time I decide to avoid the trouble and spend that 15 minutes reading a book.

With the Arctic tub: Sanitization is managed for me and I already checked the PH balance from my phone before going outside, so we just get right in.

In summary, I think a hot tub will be worth my while if it will be ready for me when I want it without requiring me to fiddle with it. Is that a realistic expectation?  Do you have one of these automatic tubs, and if so, what work does it save you?

I’d appreciate any opinions!

This is not a diss of Arctic, they make a fine tub. But one thing you can count on is the SpaBoy system WILL NOT be as easy as it is marketed. Use level determines the amount of maintenance and once you get it, its easy.
Retired

Sam

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 04:04:41 pm »
Yeah, don't fall for the marketing.  The spaboy system is not going to be any easier than about half a dozen other systems out there.  The fact that it tests your ph literally saves you 5 seconds.  You still have to balance your ph with that system.  Hell, the owners manual for that system is something like 40 pages.  In my opinion it's more complicated than just tossing a couple of teaspoons of granular chlorine after you get out of the spa.

Or, there is the @ease program where you replace a cartridge once per month and shock it with a non-chlorine shock at the same time.  This is super easy.

The spa boy system is just generating chlorine from salt and it has a probe that tells you your ph.  It's really not difficult to add a bit of chlorine after each use and every couple weeks or so dip a test strip in the water. 

optimumchaos

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 08:02:08 pm »
Thanks a ton, everyone. This has been really helpful! My wife had just about ruled out the idea of a hot tub based on anticipated maintenance, but this sounds like less work than we feared. I think I’ll visit a few dealers in my area to consider more options.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 09:01:49 pm »
Thanks a ton, everyone. This has been really helpful! My wife had just about ruled out the idea of a hot tub based on anticipated maintenance, but this sounds like less work than we feared. I think I’ll visit a few dealers in my area to consider more options.

Remember water maintenance can be as easy as baking soda and household bleach. Don't let it be much in your decision making process. Comfort with tub and dealer along with your wallet.
Retired

swilly1000

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 06:03:36 am »
What everyone here is saying, and I agree, is that its a lot easier than you think, especially when you get the hang of it.  But it's not as maintenance free as Arctic marketing would have you how believe.   Don't let water maintenance be a tipping point.  It's worth it.

Good luck!

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 06:36:58 pm »
I decided on my major in college b/c it didn't require *any* math and science.  Seriously.  And I can do water chemistry in hot tubs and pools w/o any issues.  Thus I am pretty cavalier when it comes to water treatment.

To take a different approach than others here on this tread - If you're not willing to do the basic chemistry maintenance, then do not get a tub.  That is meant with respect and not to be snarky.  But there is a small amount of upkeep necessary with any hot tub.  This is true regardless of the brand, region / area you live, and usage habits.  This is also coming from someone who works for a hot tub manufacturer.

I also state that as some dealers can bend the truth or flat out lie when it comes to maintenance and state that [paraphrasing] you don't really have to do anything.  Its not the norm, for sure, and is limited to a very small minority in the sales game.  Point is - Its good to ask questions and to learn and not let the upkeep be the thing that keeps you from purchasing a hot tub.  There are a lot of really helpful people on this forum so if you're not sure or have further questions, you will not lack help from us.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

swilly1000

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 11:18:23 pm »
I decided on my major in college b/c it didn't require *any* math and science.  Seriously.  And I can do water chemistry in hot tubs and pools w/o any issues.  Thus I am pretty cavalier when it comes to water treatment.

To take a different approach than others here on this tread - If you're not willing to do the basic chemistry maintenance, then do not get a tub.  That is meant with respect and not to be snarky.  But there is a small amount of upkeep necessary with any hot tub.  This is true regardless of the brand, region / area you live, and usage habits.  This is also coming from someone who works for a hot tub manufacturer.

I also state that as some dealers can bend the truth or flat out lie when it comes to maintenance and state that [paraphrasing] you don't really have to do anything.  Its not the norm, for sure, and is limited to a very small minority in the sales game.  Point is - Its good to ask questions and to learn and not let the upkeep be the thing that keeps you from purchasing a hot tub.  There are a lot of really helpful people on this forum so if you're not sure or have further questions, you will not lack help from us.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

Bravo!

terps19

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 01:43:55 pm »
I am just at a month of use on my hot tub Waikiki Elite.  I have the frog @ase system. 

I filled the tub, shocked it per instructions, added the frog @ase system.  I test the water once a week or so.  I had the increase the hardness and some PH adjustment.  I usually shock it once every 10 days or so using Spa Guard Enhanced Spa shock which says it is ok for a chlorine, bromine, ozonator system.

for 30 days my water has been clear, and the test strips all come out fine.  I just replaced the chlorine on the frog @ase system.  Minerals will be replaced in 3 more months. 

fredric40

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 11:36:33 pm »
I searched a lot and watched different videos and articles then I decided to buy this Lay-Z-Spa 60011 Vegas Hot Tub from here.

Made my winter bearably! There is nothing like hot-tubbing in zero with the stars shining. My 6-year-old daughter and 36-year-old wife love it. I am 6’10” and fit in it fine, it would be cramped with 5+ people in my opinion. We put a mat under the tub, easy to set up and fill, we watched a YouTube video to help us with setup.
It costs us around £30 a month to heat (we keep it at 20C) and use it just over twice a week. It was fine during the freezing weather.
The dog is curious and likes to jump on it but it’s well protected so he’s not damaged anything.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 07:13:56 am »
I searched a lot and watched different videos and articles then I decided to buy this Lay-Z-Spa 60011 Vegas Hot Tub from here.

Made my winter bearably! There is nothing like hot-tubbing in zero with the stars shining. My 6-year-old daughter and 36-year-old wife love it. I am 6’10” and fit in it fine, it would be cramped with 5+ people in my opinion. We put a mat under the tub, easy to set up and fill, we watched a YouTube video to help us with setup.
It costs us around £30 a month to heat (we keep it at 20C) and use it just over twice a week. It was fine during the freezing weather.
The dog is curious and likes to jump on it but it’s well protected so he’s not damaged anything.

SPAM!!!!!!!
Retired

cranbiz

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 09:58:23 am »
I'm not 100% sure it's spam as I believe he actually has one. The link though is not one I would have used if I was recommending a tub to someone. Maybe have an admin edit out the link. I agree a bump of a 2.5 year old post is suspect.

I certainly wouldn't be recommending an inflatable hot tub for someone looking at a portable hot tub.

Sammi

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 09:10:20 pm »
Sounds like you describe wanting a salt water tub. I have both types and there's a learning curve to both. Once I learnt the salt water tub the maintenance is minimal. I live in an extremely cold winter (most days below 0⁰F) climate so I totally understand where you are coming from.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 09:10:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42