What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Lifter and tub panels  (Read 3093 times)

hobble23

Cover Lifter and tub panels
« on: December 04, 2019, 04:18:14 pm »
Hello, my cover lifter is attached to the panel where the motor is.  Because of this to get at the motor I have to remove the cover lifter.  Not ideal, but I knew it when the lifter was installed with the orientation I selected.  I'm thinking now to cut my tub panels around the cover lifter.  Does anyone think this would not be a good idea?

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Lifter and tub panels
« on: December 04, 2019, 04:18:14 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Cover Lifter and tub panels
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 06:28:37 pm »
Hello, my cover lifter is attached to the panel where the motor is.  Because of this to get at the motor I have to remove the cover lifter.  Not ideal, but I knew it when the lifter was installed with the orientation I selected.  I'm thinking now to cut my tub panels around the cover lifter.  Does anyone think this would not be a good idea?

You could separate the current 1 piece panel into sections, there is nothing wrong with that and in fact some spa models have multiple front panels anyway.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

swilly1000

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:21:45 pm »
That seems rather butcher 'ish vs. removing the cover lifter to access the motor.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 10:51:27 am »
The lifter puts a lot of stress into the panel it is attached to. Cutting around the mounting area of the lifter would put all the stress on just the screws holding that small part.

I don’t think it is a good idea. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 11:19:19 am »
The lifter puts a lot of stress into the panel it is attached to. Cutting around the mounting area of the lifter would put all the stress on just the screws holding that small part.

I don’t think it is a good idea.

You'd definitely have to secure that section properly but I've seen many spas with a 3 door front so if you separated the door in the lifter section and screwed that panel on both sides where there is an upright you'd be perfectly fine and if you are drafty you may be able to make it look decent as well.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hobble23

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 02:11:09 pm »
I'm thinking after a while of unscrewing those lifter screws over the year/years when you want to drain the tub or what not that they eventually become stripped etc.  That is my reasoning for wanting to do this.  I've had the cover off 3 times already, so say it's 6-7 times per year - that is a lot of in an out for wood screws.  However, I guess I'll deal with that when it comes.  I will probably drill and run the drain out the side so that I don't have to go in to at least do that.

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:19:33 am »
If you are stuck with that orientation of the cover lifter I would get a thin piece of steel say .09”-.12” thick. Stainless would be good and tap holes in it for machine screws for the attachment points. I would also have attachment holes to attach it to the access panel. It could go inside the cover or outside and bolt to the cover once and then to remove the lifter you would be screwing and unscrewing into metal threaded holes.

Another method would be to buy threaded inserts and put a thicker plywood backer with them in it on the inside.    https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Dropper-Pronged-Climbing-Cabinetry/dp/B01MSVU3WF?ref_=fspcr_pl_dp_1_16410701

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:19:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42