What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Cover Left Open  (Read 4547 times)

IhaveNoUnderstandinOfSpas

Hot Tub Cover Left Open
« on: December 04, 2019, 07:47:49 pm »
My parents recently decided to purchase a hot tub and with no free time in their hands, I became in charge of maintaining/filling it. We've had the hot tub for about three weeks now and over the weekend my sister forgot to put the cover on. Its located in an area in which it is not constantly looked at so I hadn't noticed until today and when I looked in, 85% of the water had drained out. I'm not sure if this is some sort of safety system in some hot tubs to prevent it from freezing completely? or if some sort of fitting has frozen and began to leak. The water currently in the tub wasnt frozen when i checked, but it has sat uncovered for four nights, two of which were below freezing temps.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Cover Left Open
« on: December 04, 2019, 07:47:49 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Hot Tub Cover Left Open
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 08:33:11 am »
My parents recently decided to purchase a hot tub and with no free time in their hands, I became in charge of maintaining/filling it. We've had the hot tub for about three weeks now and over the weekend my sister forgot to put the cover on. Its located in an area in which it is not constantly looked at so I hadn't noticed until today and when I looked in, 85% of the water had drained out. I'm not sure if this is some sort of safety system in some hot tubs to prevent it from freezing completely? or if some sort of fitting has frozen and began to leak. The water currently in the tub wasnt frozen when i checked, but it has sat uncovered for four nights, two of which were below freezing temps.

As long as the tub was turned on it shouldn't of froze or lost water? There must have been a catastrophic failure. You need a repair guy.
Retired

bradleyabell

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:53:07 am »

Agreed, there must be a leak in the tub for it to have lost water.  Just having the cover off shouldn't cause water to seep out of the shell.
As long as the tub was turned on it shouldn't of froze or lost water? There must have been a catastrophic failure. You need a repair guy.

swilly1000

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 07:01:23 am »
Those two events have to be coincidental.  Water shouldn't drain out when the cover is off.  And it's hard to imagine 85% of the water evaporating in that span of time while the cover was off.

Is the tub brand new?  If not, how old?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:30:08 am by swilly1000 »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 12:42:42 pm »
The cover could have been left open, and some water evaporated.  Once it got below the top jets, when the jets come on, it will spray water out of the tub.  Since most pump suctions are on the bottom, it will continue to blow water out until it gets below the suctions.  It definitely could have drained itself like that

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 01:47:27 pm »
The cover could have been left open, and some water evaporated.  Once it got below the top jets, when the jets come on, it will spray water out of the tub.  Since most pump suctions are on the bottom, it will continue to blow water out until it gets below the suctions.  It definitely could have drained itself like that

On low during filter cycles? tman<--------sceptic
Retired

swilly1000

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 11:56:42 am »

On low during filter cycles? tman<--------sceptic

Agreed.  Total stretch.

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:38:23 am »
All I know is if the OP ever comes back and it was freezing weather when this happened there should have been a big frozen ice slick someplace around the tub. That would be my main clue as to what happened and where the water went.   

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 09:25:35 am »
Do both pumps have both speeds?  If they don't, or if one pump is high speed only, it could definitely happen

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 10:30:16 am »
Do both pumps have both speeds?  If they don't, or if one pump is high speed only, it could definitely happen

I agree, it can happen, I have seen it happen. But not on low speed filter mode.

Where did the OP go? Tell us what happened.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 10:30:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42