What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater salt system start up  (Read 5300 times)

Bkhackworth1

Freshwater salt system start up
« on: November 23, 2019, 08:04:54 am »
Hello!
We purchased a Hot Springs Grandee with the Freshwater Salt system. The Hot tub was delivered in Sept 19 and the salt system installed Oct 19 and the salt system has never produced chlorine. We have followed the local service techs directions exactly. We started out using granular chlorine, then they switched us to pool liquid shock only using a cap full at a time, then 1/2 cup every 12 hours.

They have since came out and changed the controller and the titanium cartridge. We are back to the pool shock, but this time using the boost for 24 hrs and then boosting again if it doesn’t startup. At this point I feel I’m being used as a Guinean Pig.. (although I did run into another owner who has has the same system for a year and stated it’s never produced chlorine either and the service tech told me they had 5 other systems experiencing the same problem) Does anyone have a successful set of instructions for starting up and maintaining a Freshwater Salt system? I’ve had the water tested at their location and everything looks good.

Thank you!

Hot Tub Forum

Freshwater salt system start up
« on: November 23, 2019, 08:04:54 am »

ratchett

Re: Freshwater salt system start up
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 01:24:20 pm »
So this freshwater salt system was just added to tubs for this 2019 year model. From what i understand talking to my dealer - they refused to sell the older ACE system because it was so terrible.  As one of the larger more established dealers, they helped HotSpring beta-test this new salt system for much longer behind the scenes and in their showroom before the system was finalized and released to the public.

When researching and deciding between the two options, I learned that the Freshwater salt systems can be tricky to "start up"  - once the system is balanced your system will not have a problem keeping up with the chlorine generation needs.  However since it's a new spa you are going to need much more sanitizer than normal. Far more than your spa can produce on it's own.  My dealer stated they include a whole gallon of bleach with ever new Salt system to help customers get the system going initially. 

I personally opted not to have the Freshwater Salt system installed on my spa, but I like knowing it's cheap enough if I wanted my dealer to switch me over from one system to the other.  For now I'm very happy with my Ozonator system, cleaning and maintenance has been a breeze

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 02:57:49 pm »
Were you having water quality issues or was there just no measurable amount of chlorine yet the water was clear?  By chance do you have an ozone installed on your hot tub?  If so, you will never get a chlorine reading.  Also, has your dealer tested for phosphates?  Phosphates are a nutrient source for bacteria/algae and when high can consume the chlorine rapidly.

Bkhackworth1

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 07:35:19 pm »
No water quality issues.. I’m not sure if the store tested for phosphates. The system they put my water through was pretty sophisticated. I’ll ask them if that’s a test they complete. thanks

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 12:55:57 am »
Can you give us a idea of what you did at startup?  For some detailed directions of how I said up my customers with that system message me and I will give you a hand. I have 100 give or take out in the field with 2 that are having some issues but one has a crazy amount of phosphates which is being addressed. The other one I believe was user error but I should know in a week or so what the results are. I have it in my own tub and am having good luck with it. I’ve had it for a little over a year at this point.

Bkhackworth1

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:08 am »
We followed the manufacturers recommendations right from the book starting on page 2. I was trying to attach a picture with the instructions.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 12:27:55 pm »
I’m guessing the Hot Spring and Caldera directions are similar. Same system so should be the same. Here’s what I have my customers do:

Fill tub and balance ph, alk and calcium. Also if there metals present remove those.
Add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of liquid chlorine, check level in morning.
Add appropriate amount of salt. For your tub just over 10 cups of salt
Set salt system level to #7
Keep adding liquid chlorine roughly 1/2 cup a day until 24 hours later you have a chlorine reading of 5 ppm. Repeat this daily until the level maintains 3-5 ppm on its own

I’ve had this step take 2 days up to 6 days.

Other variable that plays a huge role is phosphates. If you have a phosphate level above 300-400 you will struggle getting any chlorine to generate in a hot tub.

Bkhackworth1

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 06:02:53 pm »
Thank you!. just sent you a message

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 06:02:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42