What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wave Lounger / Thermospa  (Read 7638 times)

sme

Wave Lounger / Thermospa
« on: November 16, 2019, 11:05:31 am »
Hey all,
I just started to do my research on getting my first hot tub, and since we are just dropping below freezing here in the North East, it's really hard not to just place an order to be able to soak during the cold winter months... ;D
What I found out so far is that wet tests are highly recommended (if not a must), because you are spending a lot of money and want to know it is money well spent. By that logic, ThermoSpa would be out as they don't allow for any wet testing. Also, I've come to understand that they are very expensive, and you can get much better deals with other vendors.
Having said that, there have to be ThermoSpa owners out there, otherwise the company wouldn't exist anymore. I'd love to hear from you to understand why you decided to go with ThermoSpa and why you did not want/need the wet test. Were you just chancing it?

I saw that ThermoSpa has a very intriguing feature called wavelounger. Obviously, they make it sound that it is the best thing since sliced bread, but I have to admit it does look very interesting. Does anyone have any insight on wave loungers? Are they worth the extra money? I do have lower back pain and love me massages, so I would imagine it feels pretty nice, but I also don't want to spend the extra money if it's not worth it.

Lastly, when you bought your first hot tub, in hindsight, what would you have done differently? More/Different research? Go with a different vendor?.....

Appreciate any and all feedback, thanks guys!

Si

Hot Tub Forum

Wave Lounger / Thermospa
« on: November 16, 2019, 11:05:31 am »

ratchett

Re: Wave Lounger / Thermospa
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 04:32:45 pm »
The thing most first-time buyers do not consider when purchasing is the dealer services.   A HotTub is an appliance, just like every other large appliance in your house it will have service issues (more so than other less complicated appliances). This is important because many budget brand spa companies expect you to perform most maintenance and service to the spa yourself.  Whereas high end spa companies will take care of almost everything for the first few years through the warranty.

If you shop around enough and you'll discover the big-brands don't publish prices online, why is that?  Simply put, because the cost of operating a sales & service center varies depending on the region of the country, so different dealers operate on different profit margins. 

Spa's are heavy devices with lots of vibrating components when filled with water - there's a lot of things which can and do go wrong with a spa after several years of use - how would you feel if after three years your $4K+ investment stopped heating or leaking and the manufacturer simply says "meh, good luck".  I'd much rather have a dealer who says "your spa is leaking?!? We'll be right over tomorrow to fix it before anything gets ruined!"

By that logic, ThermoSpa would be out as they don't allow for any wet testing. Also, I've come to understand that they are very expensive, and you can get much better deals with other vendors.
Having said that, there have to be ThermoSpa owners out there, otherwise the company wouldn't exist anymore. I'd love to hear from you to understand why you decided to go with ThermoSpa and why you did not want/need the wet test. Were you just chancing it?

Most people buying a Thermospa are likely window shoppers looking to buy a "name brand" spa at a "budget price" not thinking about complete cost of ownership. 

If you read around this forum enough (and others) you'll see plenty of people who say the dealer is just as important as the spa you're buying.   If you're spending so much money on the spa - you should make certain you are comfortable with the seats, and that you trust the dealer to adequately service your spa.

Not all dealers are the same for the name-brands either.  BullFrog for example is a very popular spa brand, however I extremely disliked my local dealer. She had a very small shop, subcontracted all of her service staff and had very few spa's for testing. Overall I didn't like the store and didn't believe they would be around in five years.  And at the other end of the spectrum was my local Jacuzzi dealer who was a "big backyard" store selling multiple different products and brands.  They were inexperienced, very expensive list price (no negotiating either),  gave incorrect information about the spas I was looking at, and generally didn't seem to care about my five-figure sale.

Whereas the HotSpring dealer locally is a family-run business, almost three decades in business with hundreds of positive google reviews.  A large service department with in-house technicians to service one brand of spa's exclusively - HotSpring.   They were also $3000 cheaper for the same spa I wanted compared to another dealer equal distance from me.

Out of the dozen spa dealerships I visited in my local search, only one dealer stood out above the rest as a truly knowledgeable experienced dealer who genuinely cares about customer satisfaction.   

You'll hear a lot of feedback about loungers, and the usual statistic "80% of second spa buyers don't get a lounger" - the reality is lounger's are a very personal decision and one you cannot make without wet-testing.  I did a lot of research into this one trying NOT to wet test due to the distance to my dealer with the spa I'm buying (one hour drive each way).

In reality your height and weight determine your buoyancy which is why you cannot trust reviews from people even your same height.  The biggest issue with loungers is that many people "float" out of loungers - you cannot know for certain if you will float or not without laying in the lounger personally.   

From what I've read from the experts, if you absolutely cannot wet-test a lounger, do not buy one.    I personally REALLY wanted a lounger so I made certain to finally wet-test a lounger on an identical tub to the one I'm buying (well same size lounger anyway) and I was very pleased to discover I fit comfortably, and did not float out of the tub!

My first spa (after waiting twenty years to buy one) is being delivered this Wednesday (HS JetSetter), cannot WAIT

swilly1000

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 05:25:07 pm »
If back is an issue for you, then hydrotherapy and jetting power and positioning is likely pretty important for you. Wet testing is very important to begin with and even more so for you.

I would check out some premium brands to get a feel for the difference between them and the numerous small jets in the Thermospa. I strongly suspect you will find they blow away the performance of the Thermospa.

Budget is an issue for all of us but if you can afford it I would take Thermospa right out of the equation.  I checked that wave lounge on YouTube and I was very unimpressed.

All that said the wet test will reveal a lot for you.  Too bad you can't wet test Thermospa.  That's brutal and a reason to drop them right away.

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 05:49:21 pm »
To reiterate, feel is everything my friend.

Marketing is marketing... jet paks, moto massage, HK40, wavelounger... etc.  All just stories.  The reality is that the way it feels to one person is vastly different to the other.  If you can't try it, don't buy it.

Also, go with someone who can help you down the road.  Things aren't supposed to go wrong, but if they do, you want someone you can lean on. 

sme

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 11:02:33 pm »
The thing most first-time buyers do not consider when purchasing is the dealer services.   A HotTub is an appliance, just like every other large appliance in your house it will have service issues (more so than other less complicated appliances). This is important because many budget brand spa companies expect you to perform most maintenance and service to the spa yourself.  Whereas high end spa companies will take care of almost everything for the first few years through the warranty.

If you shop around enough and you'll discover the big-brands don't publish prices online, why is that?  Simply put, because the cost of operating a sales & service center varies depending on the region of the country, so different dealers operate on different profit margins. 

Spa's are heavy devices with lots of vibrating components when filled with water - there's a lot of things which can and do go wrong with a spa after several years of use - how would you feel if after three years your $4K+ investment stopped heating or leaking and the manufacturer simply says "meh, good luck".  I'd much rather have a dealer who says "your spa is leaking?!? We'll be right over tomorrow to fix it before anything gets ruined!"

By that logic, ThermoSpa would be out as they don't allow for any wet testing. Also, I've come to understand that they are very expensive, and you can get much better deals with other vendors.

Most people buying a Thermospa are likely window shoppers looking to buy a "name brand" spa at a "budget price" not thinking about complete cost of ownership. 

If you read around this forum enough (and others) you'll see plenty of people who say the dealer is just as important as the spa you're buying.   If you're spending so much money on the spa - you should make certain you are comfortable with the seats, and that you trust the dealer to adequately service your spa.

Not all dealers are the same for the name-brands either.  BullFrog for example is a very popular spa brand, however I extremely disliked my local dealer. She had a very small shop, subcontracted all of her service staff and had very few spa's for testing. Overall I didn't like the store and didn't believe they would be around in five years.  And at the other end of the spectrum was my local Jacuzzi dealer who was a "big backyard" store selling multiple different products and brands.  They were inexperienced, very expensive list price (no negotiating either),  gave incorrect information about the spas I was looking at, and generally didn't seem to care about my five-figure sale.

Whereas the HotSpring dealer locally is a family-run business, almost three decades in business with hundreds of positive google reviews.  A large service department with in-house technicians to service one brand of spa's exclusively - HotSpring.   They were also $3000 cheaper for the same spa I wanted compared to another dealer equal distance from me.

Out of the dozen spa dealerships I visited in my local search, only one dealer stood out above the rest as a truly knowledgeable experienced dealer who genuinely cares about customer satisfaction.   

You'll hear a lot of feedback about loungers, and the usual statistic "80% of second spa buyers don't get a lounger" - the reality is lounger's are a very personal decision and one you cannot make without wet-testing.  I did a lot of research into this one trying NOT to wet test due to the distance to my dealer with the spa I'm buying (one hour drive each way).

In reality your height and weight determine your buoyancy which is why you cannot trust reviews from people even your same height.  The biggest issue with loungers is that many people "float" out of loungers - you cannot know for certain if you will float or not without laying in the lounger personally.   

From what I've read from the experts, if you absolutely cannot wet-test a lounger, do not buy one.    I personally REALLY wanted a lounger so I made certain to finally wet-test a lounger on an identical tub to the one I'm buying (well same size lounger anyway) and I was very pleased to discover I fit comfortably, and did not float out of the tub!

My first spa (after waiting twenty years to buy one) is being delivered this Wednesday (HS JetSetter), cannot WAIT

So I guess you will be getting your new spa tomorrow. Have to admit I am kinda jealous, but you earned it after waiting for 20 years :) Thanks for your very reply, I do appreciate your insight. Enjoy your hot tub!

sme

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 11:06:01 pm »
If back is an issue for you, then hydrotherapy and jetting power and positioning is likely pretty important for you. Wet testing is very important to begin with and even more so for you.

I would check out some premium brands to get a feel for the difference between them and the numerous small jets in the Thermospa. I strongly suspect you will find they blow away the performance of the Thermospa.

Budget is an issue for all of us but if you can afford it I would take Thermospa right out of the equation.  I checked that wave lounge on YouTube and I was very unimpressed.

All that said the wet test will reveal a lot for you.  Too bad you can't wet test Thermospa.  That's brutal and a reason to drop them right away.

I agree. I wouldn't buy a car, without first test driving a similar model. You also spend a lot of money on a hot tub, so not "test driving" it first, would be crazy. I'll be looking for a dealer who can support me properly and allows me to wet test the tub.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

sme

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 11:06:51 pm »

Marketing is marketing... jet paks, moto massage, HK40, wavelounger... etc.  All just stories.  The reality is that the way it feels to one person is vastly different to the other.  If you can't try it, don't buy it.

Also, go with someone who can help you down the road.  Things aren't supposed to go wrong, but if they do, you want someone you can lean on.
Good advise, I'll take it to heart. Thanks!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 11:10:36 am »

BINGO!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Sam

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 03:03:08 pm »
Thermospas uses a bunch of those micro bullet jets.  Not a fan of those.

Mikedee

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 03:04:59 pm »
Hey all,
I just started to do my research on getting my first hot tub, and since we are just dropping below freezing here in the North East, it's really hard not to just place an order to be able to soak during the cold winter months... ;D
What I found out so far is that wet tests are highly recommended (if not a must), because you are spending a lot of money and want to know it is money well spent. By that logic, ThermoSpa would be out as they don't allow for any wet testing. Also, I've come to understand that they are very expensive, and you can get much better deals with other vendors.

I saw that ThermoSpa has a very intriguing feature called wavelounger. Obviously, they make it sound that it is the best thing since sliced bread, but I have to admit it does look very interesting. Does anyone have any insight on wave loungers? Are they worth the extra money? I do have lower back pain and love me massages, so I would imagine it feels pretty nice, but I also don't want to spend the extra money if it's not worth it.

Lastly, when you bought your first hot tub, in hindsight, what would you have done differently? More/Different research? Go with a different vendor?.....

Appreciate any and all feedback, thanks guys!

Si

I can't say whether or not spending extra money on this hot tub feature is worth it or not..I am a Thermospa hot tub owner here in the lower Hudson Valley of New York since 1999..I can only speak to the reliability and service of Thermospas in case you do have an issue...I've had the same Thermos Spa Hot Tub ( The Park Avenue model) since 1999..I am pretty good about water balance and maintenence and have had to have service maybe 5-7 times over the 20 years..I can only say that Thermospas service technicians have always been reliable and for the most part so has the tub...If it was something under warranty , they covered the cost and if not they always had the parts in their trucks..I'm sure things have changed in 20 years as far as the way these tubs are manufactured but I can tell you overall I've been very happy with my Thermospas tub and the service department...I'm hoping I can get a few more years out of it before something happens that won't be worth repairing..My only advice with Thermospas, is don't take their first price..I was able to negotiate the price down..It was almost like buying a car..

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 03:04:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42