What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Envoy Suddenly Goes into 'Protection Mode' When Jets Run  (Read 4065 times)

HotTubLife

HS Envoy Suddenly Goes into 'Protection Mode' When Jets Run
« on: November 16, 2019, 09:46:53 am »
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. Figured I'd run it by everyone to see what I might learn before calling for service (not a cheap thing to do).

Recently switched out my failing ACE cell - for my 2.5 y.o. HS Envoy - for another model. Model seems to be working well. However, just out of the 'clear blue sky', the tub has begun throwing itself into 'Protection Mode' if all of the jets are running for any length of time (say, 15 minutes). The first time this happened, I checked the filters (as recommended) and discovered that the one that had previously housed the ACE salt cell had a significant coating of scum on it (even though water was quite lovely!). I pulled the filter, cleaned it thoroughly, along with one other one. Put things back together and all was well. Have been able to use the spa without issue for a couple of weeks. Then, last night, the hubby was in the tub (with all jets running) and it all of a sudden went into 'Protection Mode' again. I checked the filters this morning and there just wasn't really anything in there to impede water flow. So now I'm stumped. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? I'm a bit mystified. And since it costs $50 just to have a service guy come out ... I'd love to get to the bottom of this without incurring that sort of expense.

Hot Tub Forum

HS Envoy Suddenly Goes into 'Protection Mode' When Jets Run
« on: November 16, 2019, 09:46:53 am »

castletonia

Re: HS Envoy Suddenly Goes into 'Protection Mode' When Jets Run
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 11:49:29 am »
Did you replace your ACE cell with a new ACE cell or an aftermarket one?  If it is aftermarket, I suppose it could cause an issue but I would have no evidence to suggest it will or won't.  If we assume the water level is high enough, then you can rule that out.  If the hot tub is clear of debris, remove all the filters, place the caps back on and run the jets.  If it doesn't go into protection mode, then your filters are dirty enough to restrict water flow.

HotTubLife

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 11:57:47 am »
I did replace with an aftermarket one - the $700+ price tag for the ACE was just too much. Especially if it needs replacing every couple of years.

Your suggestion sounds like exactly the right thing to do (and I'm embarrassed not to have thought of it myself). Will get on that right away. Thanks so much!

HotTubLife

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 05:12:02 pm »
I now think the problem revolves around the weir. It seems not to be dropping low enough when the jets come on. If the weir gate doesn't drop properly, then the filter compartment doesn't have the requisite amount of water and it pops into protection mode. Not sure what's up with the weir gate. Will have to poke around and see what I learn.

UPDATE: New weir assembly installed this morning and problem is entirely resolved. Gate drops to the appropriate level when the jets come on!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:01:40 pm by HotTubLife »

HotTubLife

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 05:17:15 pm »
Suspicion confirmed. It would appear that the weir gate assembly needs to be cleaned. Who knew?!

swilly1000

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 06:43:00 am »
You!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:24:15 pm »
Good catch. Wouldn’t have thought to tell you to look there. Sometimes we overthink problems and it’s something small like that

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:24:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42