What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Summit vs V94L  (Read 3011 times)

Kamper

Summit vs V94L
« on: February 05, 2023, 04:47:25 pm »
Hello everyone!

I am a first time hot tub buyer and have done quite a bit of research including visiting the local dealers in my area.
I have decided to go with Marquis based on their quality reputation and wanting Microsilk.

My family situation is two kiddos in college, two in high school and my wife and me.  We will likely be at 2-4 with up to 6 in the tub at one time.  Then again, I would expect initially my two HS kids to invite a bunch of friends over for a couple of years while it is still new.  For those reasons I'm thinking it makes sense to buy the largest tub which is either the Crown Summit or the Vector V94L.  My local dealer (and the next closest one) both have the V94L but not the Summit; so I don't have a chance to experience the Summit first hand.  I would order either tub with the same features, so I need help on how to decide which is better for my situation. The Summit is approximately $3k more, and I'm willing to pay the extra as long as the value is there for me.

Reason for V94L:  I can turn off zones and therefore have stronger therapy if desired for a given seat.  Lots of foot room and nice footrest. 

Reasons for Summit:  Multiple (what appears to be more) comfortable adirondack seats (whereas V94L is more upright). The Summit also have multiple seats that allow for full body massage.  My thought is my wife and I would stay longer and enjoy more having two adirondack seats vs two upright (or one lounger and one upright) seats.  We also have water behind our house, so having the chairs face that direction seems best.

The question is whether the Summit is worth the extra $3k.  Has anyone experienced both tubs and have an A:B comparison?

Any recommendations or things I should consider would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Hot Tub Forum

Summit vs V94L
« on: February 05, 2023, 04:47:25 pm »

cranbiz

Re: Summit vs V94L
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 09:33:58 am »
The Adirondack chairs are captains chairs on steroids, I think you would really like them. 50% of people who have a lounge style seat don't like them after it gets home, so the Adirondack seat is a really nice compromise. I like the seating position of a captains chair but if it had a slightly more recline to it, that would be my absolute best seat.

A wet test is highly suggested, even if you can't test the Summit, see if the dealer has a tub with similar seating to try. The Summit should be able to do zones to a point. The diverter valve can be used to increase pressure to certain seats.

I think the seating arrangement in the Summit will work better for how you describe your use.

I did look at both a Vector 84L and a Resort, both were nice tubs but the Island Nevis just worked out better for our specific location.

Either would be a nice addition.

Kamper

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 04:34:45 pm »
Thanks cranbiz for the input, I  appreciate it.

I'm struggling to find first hand experience with the Summit (good or bad); whether that be YouTube video reviews, forum reviews or online searches.
I understand the theory that this *should* be the best of the best from Marquis, but it would be helpful to get experiential feedback.

I realize that the Vector series has been out longer and that the pandemic didn't help with the launch of the Crown series, but was still hopeful to find some input.  Even the two dealers here near me do not have experience with the Summit.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where reviews (professional or personal) have been done on the Crown Summit? 

Thank you!

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 10:25:34 am »
Maybe @Markee or @hottubguy can help here.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 11:39:07 pm »
I think both are great tubs and have their pros and cons. Myself personally I prefer vector series. Higher level of massage and I love the foot jet.

V94L- pros- powerful tub. Vector is the most powerful series of all Marquis Hot Tubs. Neat design on it. The 94 is a nice spacious tub. Control of almost all seats with a great variation as far as different seating heights.
       Cons- Warranty isn’t as long on Vector, jet pod faceplates will need to be replaced over time. I think they have greatly improved but they are held in place with 4 little tabs. Valves on top for such a nice looking tub almost look cheap to me.

Summit- Pros- Design. I can’t really think of a tub designed quite like this series. Adirondack seat is super comfortable. I owned a resort for 7-8 years and it was my favorite seat in the tub. Large, comfortable tub. Longer warranty
Cons- Jets aren’t as strong as Vector. The topside on those tubs were problematic when they first launched. For most part I think that kink is worked out.

Think it comes down to what your expectations out of the tub are. If it’s more geared towards powerful jets Vector, if design and layout are what you are looking for Crown series. If you end up with Vector depending where you live I would absolutely get full foam, ozone and inline sanitizer options. 

I really think you would be happy with either. I loved my resort while I owned it. It’s still at one of my service guys houses and other than a heater and a cover it hasn’t needed anything done to it. Only reason I got rid of it was we brought in another line of tubs and I grabbed a brand new one of those.

Kamper

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 04:30:06 pm »
Thanks Hottubguy, that's exactly the feedback that I was looking for.  I live in Michigan and do plan on getting either tub 'fully loaded' with all options except bluetooth speakers and Wifi.

I noticed at the bottom of the page here (https://www.marquisspas.com/hot-tubs/hot-tub-features/jets/) that Marquis swapped out (6) RHK 40's for (6) RHK 20's later last year.  My guess is that it will improve overall pressure by reducing flow in that middle adirondack chair.  What I cannot determine (from the owner's manual) is how the pumps are plumbed to the zones.  For instance, if Zone 2 (middle adirondack) reduces GPM (due to RHK40->RHK20) which seat(s) get better pressure?

Does anyone know which zones are tied to which pumps?
I'm attempting to imbed an image, but not finding the easy button, so here's a description of what is shown in the owner's manual:
Zone 1: (4) adjacent seats + whitewater4
Zone 2: Bottom adirondack (closest to controller)
Zone 3: Middle adirondack
Zone 4: Top adirondack (closest to filter)

Thanks again!

badfish

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 04:45:14 pm »
Hi Kamper,

I ordered a V94 and switched to the Summit for about the same uplift when one became available.

I have some threads up here but can summarize that my initial take on the summit was the jet strength wasn't extreme and you can't focus the power on a single seat.

8 months later, I can say I really love the tub.  The layout is awesome - I called it an upside down picnic table last night while soaking with my wife.   There are really no bad seats.  Some have more jets, some are lower, some are higher, all are comfortable.

The whitewater jet has huge power and if my back is sore or a muscle group you can use it to good effect, and a couple other seats have decent pressure - the one facing the white water is actually the most powerful of the bunch and it on 75/25 with the whitewater is a great seat.

I felt like the V94 was a bit upright seating wise, but otherwise never wet tested it (none in stock) so I can't say 1:1 which I liked better. 

That said, if you stole my summit, I'd buy another one ;-).  Happy to answer any user Q's you might have - I know how hard it is to find info.

P

Kamper

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 11:11:24 am »
Thanks badfish for the response and your experience with the Summit!  That's exactly the feedback that I was looking for.

Honestly, I want to talk myself into the Summit with all the options.  ;D      But spending that kind of money, relative to all other hot tubs out there, makes me want to ensure that I'm getting a very good hot tub.

I am going to take you up on the offer to answer questions about your Summit experience. Hopefully it helps both me and future readers.

- I'm still trying to understand which pumps feed which seats.  Which seats are tied to pump 1? Which are tied to pump 2?
 - Also, how old is your Summit? (Per my comment above, I'm wondering if you have the RHK40's or RHK20's in the middle adirondack and if maybe your low-pressure feeling is why Marquis made the change)
 - Do you notice a hydrotherapy difference between the seat, or are they similar in feel?  (Shiatsu vs Deep Tissue vs Relaxation vs Swedish)
 - How is the foot room when you have 6 people in the tub?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

badfish

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 05:40:39 pm »
 - I'm still trying to understand which pumps feed which seats.  Which seats are tied to pump 1? Which are tied to pump 2?

So pump two does all the adirondack chairs.  If you turn off the air on any of them, it seems to have no impact on the others - in short, there is no way to get the all the power in one spot.   In practice I find the one furthest from the control panel has the most strength and the shoulder massage is pretty decent (on the red setting).  The other two are not super powerful and the one closest to the control plane is quite mild on full power.   Initially I didn't like that, but not being a previous hot tub owner I've found over time that getting blasted by jets full time isn't as pleasing as I thought it might be.     If you are looking for those jets to be super firm, especially in the seat/leg area, they really aren't.

Pump 1 runs the whitewater (on red) and the other 4 seats across.   The one seat with the most jets is really powerful when it has full power, and the whitewater is super powerful on full as well. 

- Also, how old is your Summit? (Per my comment above, I'm wondering if you have the RHK40's or RHK20's in the middle adirondack and if maybe your low-pressure feeling is why Marquis made the change)

I got mind in the summer of '22.. hoping I have the new RHK40's?

- Do you notice a hydrotherapy difference between the seat, or are they similar in feel?  (Shiatsu vs Deep Tissue vs Relaxation vs Swedish)

They feel different yes - the only one I really notice the variance though is the one adirondack seat furthest from the jets - on red it really hits your upper back nicely.  and the Jet 1 chair (not adirondack) really moves some water.    The balance I just find to be mostly soothing (and honestly quite pleasant)

- How is the foot room when you have 6 people in the tub?

The foot room is ok - since you aren't all piling into the middle, there seems enough space to spread out.   I am 6'3 and have to stretch to get my feet to the far end seats.    I think in general it's a well laid out tub and very sizable though I'm sure you'll have a bit a feet bumping at 6 adults, it's still a comfortable place to be and you won't be squished in.

Kamper

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 09:52:47 am »
Thanks everyone for the input, and I decided to go with the Summit.  The tub was about $17k, and I ended up paying $20k when it included the Microsilk, lights, cover lift and steps.  I was able to (at least on paper) negotiate some discounts on the upgrades as well as a small cash discount.

Now I am on to the "it will be about 2 months" waiting game for the tub to arrive. 

I hope to provide an update after I've had the tub for a little while so that others can learn from my experience.

badfish

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 11:37:15 am »
Cool!  Same place I ended up.  Interested to hear your impressions as well.  I'm still in mine daily and enjoying it.

Kamper

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 09:51:47 pm »
We received our hot tub a few weeks ago, so here are my initial observations (first time HT owner):

Dealership:  I read about the importance of a good dealer, now I am here to confirm the value.  1) The training and support on startup, chemicals, questions, training, etc.  I'm glad that there is service to support me.  I also have a leak, and my dealer has been very helpful in making sure this gets properly resolved.

Hot tub feedback:
  • Size: We had up to (6) adults in it at one time.  There was enough room that we weren't sitting on top of each other, but we did have to pay a little attention to where our feet landed as twelve feet filled up the footwell  Not a problem, but you couldn't sprawl out.  Four people can sprawl out their legs without an issue.  Sometimes we will "half flip" our cover open and it works great for two people
  • Massage Seats: We love the variation of the jets and find ourselves going in a clockwise rotation every few minutes because each seat has different jet configurations.  After 10-30 minutes of jets, then we let the pumps turnoff and it turns into a soaking and socializing activity.  There is also great seat height variation, so you go from low, mid, to high seat position.
  • Jet power: Our baseline is mostly commercial (hotel/resort/gym) tubs where there is a single jet blasting your back.  This tub has two-stage pumps.  At the low setting you can softly feel the pressure and it is more than a soak, but not much intensity.  At the high speed the jets are noticeable.  I have no need for more pressure.
  • Whitewater-4 Jet:  I have a son in high school that is part of sports (FB, BB, Track) and is always complaining about how tough leg day is during workouts.  He is in the tub daily working his calves/quad/hammies over this jet.  There is flow control that allows you to proportion between the jets on the (4) seats vs the WW-4.  When set to 100% WW-4, the water pressure and flow is insane!  I usually set it at 10-20% and then work the bottom of my feet or 20-40% and get my leg muscles.  Going to 100% creates a very intense massage.
  • Microsilk: Many websites will claim the scientific benefit (or not), so you can reference those sites for actual value.  We are consistently using it now and our perceived value is high. My wife and daughter enjoy the smooth skin feeling that comes from the experience. I bought it as an enjoyable option, and it meets that expectation.  It takes over 5 minutes to "fill" the tub with the microsilk, so we typically turn on the microsilk before putting our suits on; and then soak in it before turning the jets on. 
  • Adirondack Seats:  These are very comfortable seats with a ton of jets.  The controls allow you to decide between back/legs or just back (hot zone).  My son and I change the controls as we rotate throughout the tub, and my wife and daughter don't bother with changing.  We chose to orientate our tub so that the seats faced the 'best view', and it my favorite to relax in these seats.
  • (4) Upright Seats: These are also very comfortable seats with good back therapy.  Personally, I prefer to be in a slight reclined position (other side of the tub), but do not have any concerns with sitting in one of the four seats.  I have not heard any complaints on the seats, and think it is a personal preference on sitting straight up vs slight recline.
  • Cover:  Because the tub is so large, the cover (at least in our situation with a lift) sits over two feet above the side of our tub.  For us, this a great privacy fence and we intentionally flip it towards a neighbor's house that is nearest the tub. I didn't realize how large it would be due to 94"x94" footprint. Most tub pictures show 1-2' above the top of the tub.  The cover lift was also a must have for us. There was no reason to wrestle such a large and heavy cover.
  • Jewel Lighting:  I'm a big fan of ambiance and how proper lighting can make an environment even better.  I enjoy the external lights (white only with dimming capability) and the internal lights have many color selections and are very enjoyable at night.

I'll summarize just like badfish did:  If you stole my Summit, I'd buy another one.

badfish

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 10:29:29 am »
Awesome review and glad you enjoyed your your purchase.  I am traveling for work but the prospect of a soak when I get home tonight is making my day easier.

Enjoy!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 10:29:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42