What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J-465 or.....  (Read 17269 times)

Wannago

Jacuzzi J-465 or.....
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »
Hi all,

We are in the market for a new hot tub, and decided we would spend some good money to make sure we are getting a quality tub that will last us a long time.

We both agreed that we wanted the typical bells and whistles: nice lighting, waterfall or some other soothing (read=cool) feature, and an audio system.  In our old tub (it died at -35 last winter..off to the landfill), I would always have a ghetto blaster setup so I could listen to tunes, but found I always had to crank up the volume so I could hear it over the noise of the tub, and I (okay...the wife) was concerned about disturbing the neighbors.

The first tubs I looked at were D1.  After spending some time in the store, I dropped a refundable deposit on a Lotus Bay.  It has everything we wanted, minus the audio system -  I was talked out of that option as being an expensive and problem-prone feature that could be cheaply and easily subsituted (visions of my old ghetto blaster again?).  Truth be known, they don't stock any tubs with this option so there would be a wait while it was delivered and I think they want to move what they have in stock.  The Lotus Bay is very nice and definitely seems like a quality product.

After learning that my wife demands a lounger ( I had no idea!), that put the Lotus Bay out of the equation.  We turned our attention to the D1 Chairman II.  Another very nice tub, same back massager, nice lounger, and a square tub easier to set into my deck.  However, the dealership does not stock any of these with the audio option, funky lighting, OR the liquid FX (waterfall type feature).  So, I now have been led away from 3 of the features we decided we wanted, all for the sake of getting a quality lounger tub.

I had initially ruled out Jacuzzi because we were planning on using a Covana automatic cover, and with the 400 series Jacuzzi tubs, I felt the raised waterfall section would preclude us from using the Covana cover.  Reviewing our finances a bit closer, we decided we would not shell out the extra ~5K for the Covana cover, which meant we could look at the Jacuzzi brand after all.

I went in there today, and there to meet me at the door was the J-480.  Wow! Even sitting there empty it was gorgeous!  I began talking with the sales rep and told him our thoughts, what we wanted, etc.  He walked me over to a filled J-465.  It too is a very nice looking tub, and would be perfect for us, because 99% of the time it is just my wife and myself in the tub, and occassionally our 12 yr old son will join in.  The slightly smaller size of the J-465 was perfect. It had beautiful lighting, waterfall, and the J-1000 stereo, which rocks!

Backing up a bit, I was given a price of $16,900 Cdn for the D1 Lotus Bay.  I haven't dealt yet on the Chairman II, but they had it on sale for $15,900 Cdn.  I was given a price of $15,999.00 Cdn for the J-465 which included the J-1000 stereo, ozonator, cover with Cover Mate III lifter, and delivery , startup etc.

BUT....

Doing some reading, it sounds like the lounger in the 465, well, sucks!  It doesn't look anywhere near a good as the D1 loungers. 

I am now somewhat torn!  I honestly fell in love with the Jacuzzi brand today. I have not yet wet tested any tubs, but I have the lounger issue.  No lounger - no sale.  On that note, my wife will not wet test in a store...long story - don't go there...so she will get the best lounger I can find.  ::)

This leaves us with the 480 as an option.  The sales rep told me that there was $2100.00 difference between the 465 and the 480, which will put the 480 at $18,100.00 Cdn.  I don't mind spending good money for a good tub, but 18K is a bit too high for me.  If I can get some more movement out of him on the 480, I might consider it.

To all you Jacuzzi experts, what are your thoughts on the lounger in the 480?  Looking at it, it was definitely different from the 465.  It looked like the legs were a bit more elevated, which might help keep you in place.  There were 2 armrests with wrist jets, a couple calf jets, and visually it looked like a decent lounger.  Is it a good lounger?  Do I have much of a chance of getting a 480 for a better price than the 18K Cdn?

Thanks.

Youth is wasted on the young!

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi J-465 or.....
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Jacuzzi J-465 or.....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:31:18 am »
Have you looked at the Hot Spring Vista or Envoy?  You can get all the cool features you are describing...lights, water features, jets, sounds, lounge, even TV.

As everyone says, wet test, wet test, wet test.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:38:50 am »
The Jacuzzi J-465 sucks. I can't figure out why they keep making it. One diverter valve and a poorly designed lounger. Now the J-470 without the lounger or the J-480 with the lounger is heaven. Some people make a lot of noise about the cover and I'm not sure why. We have the J-470 and the raised waterfalls are great. When my lower back hurts I sit under the raised waterfalls and let those two lower jets turn my lower back into butter. The raised waterfalls let relaxing water drop over my shoulders. If I had it all over to do again I would still buy a J-470. I paid $11,700 US with taxes for my J-470 fully loaded with stereo, ozone, steps, extra outside lights, cover lift, etc.

Good luck,
Scott  8)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Wannago

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:10:21 am »
Have you looked at the Hot Spring Vista or Envoy?  You can get all the cool features you are describing...lights, water features, jets, sounds, lounge, even TV.

As everyone says, wet test, wet test, wet test.

Thanks Dan,

Yes I did look at the Hot Springs.  Before I went in, the Vista seemed like it would be right up our alley, but I too have to question its lounger.  The lounger only has jets for the neck and back, and doesn't have calf or hamstring jets, armrests, or wrist jets.  I guess a wet test would clear that up.  However, the local dealer, although very reputable, has the tub wired so that the pumps can only run for about a minute, before the breaker goes, which might present a problem with a wet test.  The back massager looks like a good feature, but pales compared to the D1's back massager as you cannot control it - it just whips away on its own.  With the D1, you can turn the massage feature off, which you can't do with the Vista.  It's too bad that the back massager can't be set to "normal", for occasions when you don't want the massage - just the jets.  There is also the 5 filter thing, I don't really want to have to clean 5 filters - no less replace them.  The service cited by the sales rep was very good though: price included all the usual stuff, plus a sub panel, and they would deliver it, fill it, start the chemicals, and even connect the wiring into the tub.  They would even take out old, dead, Cal Spa Victory tub away.  No other dealer will match that.

I have definitely not written them off.  The retail price on the Vista was $12,900 Cdn without the stereo.  I don't know what the stereo option would run, but I doubt it would cost as much as the Jacuzzi J-1000 system - and of course, we haven't begun to haggle yet, so the HS is definitely still in the running as they are significantly cheaper than the D1 or Jacuzzi brands.  But honestly, for some reason, when I left the store, I definitely felt the tubs were high quality, I just didn't have that "gotta have it" feeling.  Perhaps another visit is in order.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:29:02 am »
Either of you, what sucks about the lounger?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:34:22 pm »
Wannago,
both companies have been around a long time , both make great products, looking at the D1 for a lounger in the bay series did you look at the Amore Bay with the Bioform lounges, there you can get your bells and whistles and is a great tub, for a stereo put an outdoor bose stereo with the speakers facing down, the cost for putting them in tubs is high, and by having speakers facing down you will get a beter sound. but otherwise the Chairman  has been there flagship model , have your dealer price out with the lfx system then will have waterfeature and l.e.d lights. but also the dealer you buy from is key if they have a good track record and you feel good about them then you can't go wrong...with either brand......good luck
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

rball82

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:04:22 am »
I have a J 465 and can say that we love it and have never had a problem. As far as you saying it sucks, well you probably suck. The lounger is very comprtable, yes the foot wells are a reach and the calf jets are weak, but you do not float out of the seat like some. For reading and playing poker on my blackberry it is just fine. As far as just you and your wife only using this size tub, it is perfect. We have had 5 at a time and quite crowded but 2 or three is great. The sound system rocks like you say! Easy to use and use it as our outside radio or with I Pod. Sucks is a bad choice of words.

Wannago

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:05:35 pm »
I have a J 465 and can say that we love it and have never had a problem. As far as you saying it sucks, well you probably suck....Sucks is a bad choice of words.

I seem to have touched a nerve there...but yes, perhaps "sucks" wasn't the right term.

From what I have come to learn, the lounger is very long and seems to be designed for tall persons.  My wife is the one who insists on the lounger, and although she is not your typical short woman (she's 5'7") it is my understanding that she would basically not be able to enjoy the foot jets while reclining in the lounger.  As you yourself admitted, the calf jets are also weak.  It was also pointed out to me, and my wife said she noticed it too while looking at the pictures, but there is no flat surface to step into when entering the tub - you step on the sloped part of the lounger (assuming you are entering from the "front").

Truth be known, the entry thing is not a big deal to me (as I never even noticed it), but the foot jet / calf jet thing is.  I mean, I'm paying for those jets to be there, I want them to be useful and enjoyable.

The 465 is no doubt a quality product, but I don't think the design is for me, especially considering the price.  I am now a Jacuzzi fanboi, and I hope to be able to get a decent deal on the 480.  If worse comes to worst, I can always buy a 480 for the same price as the 465, and delete the stereo, but as previously mentioned, I want it all.  Hopefully the local dealer will have some flexibility.  The D1's are still a very viable option, and I do really like their back massage option, so there are a lot worse decisions I could be facing.

Anyway, once again, sorry for the slight against the 465  ;D

firemedic

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:16:34 pm »
Wannago,

Take a look at the Sundance Cameo.  It has all the features of the Jacuzzi 400 series, has a great lounger for your wife (better fit than the 465), a nice "cool off" seat, an entrance step, wrist jets, waterfall, great lighting, and the same JBL stereo with Ipod as Jacuzzi (yes identical!).  I think I actually prefer the Sundance Cameo but the Jacuzzi dealer here is great.  I know there are 5 jacuzzi tubs in my little town here, and they've all been treated great.  FYI, SD Cameo is around $12300 includes delivery and all the normal stuff, plus $1400 for JBL stereo option in Winnipeg, MB (taxes extra). 

Wannago

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 12:26:26 am »
So....

I ended up buying the J-480.  I ruled out the 465 as the lounger WAS too big for my wife.  I had it narrowed down to either a D1 Sarena Bay or the 480.  Turned out the Sarena Bay was just too much tub for us (10 feet long!), and was higher priced.

I got a (dry) floor model, the last 480 the local dealer had in stock:  platinum shell, venetian stone cabinet with accent lights, J-1000 audio, cover mate III, and the usual assorted goodies, for quite a bit less than I originally thought...considerably less than the 18K figure, even AFTER taxes!   Still, not exactly cheap, but in my opinion, a pretty good deal for an "uber" tub.  The local Jacuzzi dealer has a very good reputation and was awesome to deal with.

The lounger in the 480 IS much better (for us) than the 465's, and my wife fits in it perfectly - plus I didn't have to sacrifice my desire to have an audio system.

Should be delivered in a week...really looking forward to having a hot tub again...especially THIS bad boy!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:15:44 am »
 Congrats on a great spa.  We have that same set up at the fair for next week! 

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 01:53:50 pm »
congrats welcome to spa land, hope you had a great experience shopping for a hot tub....enjoy it......
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 03:26:49 am »
Congrats on your new J-480. You will love it. I think using the word sucks was very successful in getting some people to post. I'm sorry I did not know anyone owned a J-465. The 465 was the first Jacuzzi product that we wet tested and we almost walked away from the brand all together. The 465 was not the right fit for us. After we wet tested the J-365 and J-480 all was good again in the world.

Wet Dreams, oh wait another poor use of words.....

Scott  ::)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Wannago

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 03:33:20 pm »
Congrats on a great spa.  We have that same set up at the fair for next week! 

Jim,

Any truth to the claim that the polyurethane rock cabinet does not do very well outdoors and when exposed to water and UV degrades quickly?

I was recently warned about this from someone representing a competing manufacturer.

Tks 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 03:33:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42