What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just checking at 1 year ownership -  (Read 2951 times)

bachman

Just checking at 1 year ownership -
« on: October 25, 2019, 06:25:23 am »
Hello All;

Everyone has been very helpful from my start up into getting a tub and although I haven't had lots of concerns problems or questions to stay active with here, just wanted to re-cap my experience as a newb and thank everyone again for the great resource you all support here. I had to learn plenty leading up to October 2018 and it's been a trouble free year.

About 53 weeks ago our new-to-us tub was delivered and set up but left empty for about a week. -2004 Marquis Reward-
I was racing the clock as we were 'gifted' a tub that was completely unexpected and I didn't want to hold up the folks donating so I made quick work out of putting in a raised paver stone patio with 2 block high retaining wall. Working in snow and rain, moving dirt and sand then packing and putting in 40# pavers x 60 or so wore me down pretty good in the hustle to get it done, but do it right. When the end or near-end of a project meets with a freshly installed hot tub ready to deliver creature comforts like therapy jet action or peaceful soaks, it's a heck of a motivator !   :D

We use bromine and it has the dispenser built so with the inherited chemicals including the mineral cartridge, I've kept to the system as was previously used. After much reading and pondering, I thought we'd just see how it goes for the first fill and do the water change based on a few of the guidelines I've read unless something else came up first. It's just my wife and I and we do the hot tub dedicated swimwear thing, no laundry products getting in there. For a number of months, we were in the tub for our 20 min soak 3 - 5 x week and we've had our adult kids over a few times to enjoy it also the over the year. These last few months have been more like a 20 min soak x 2 twice a week. We've just been really busy.

So that brings us to nearing Oct 28th which was the first time we got in the tub and had the new water nice and toasty.
Three days later, we were relieved to find the sudden snow storm that snapped a tree in half did not crush or even damage our tub but did land on it.   ::) We believe the wet heavy snow brought the tree over in a slow-motion kind of drop and two other off-shoots of branches broke the impact by landing to either side of the tub, one coming close to tearing off the new 50 amp box.
You've probably done the math by now so the fact is, my water still looks great a feels fine but I've found (as expected) the TDS has crept up to or past 2000. In the early days as I was still reading and learning up on this stuff even a few months into it, I thought getting to or even past 4 months might have been an accomplishment, but we went well past that with no chemistry issues. By then, my focus was not being too generous with chemical adds and keeping things simple.

Anyways, the next two days look to offer daytime temps in the 50's or 60's still so its my window to get this out of the way and I'm looking forward to seeing how we rate the water feel from the higher TDS back to back with a fresh fill. I think local tap water is in the range of low 60's.
I know a hot tub becomes 'soup' and some folks get in them all dirty and sweaty at times or have family parties and groups of people enjoying a good soak etc...  so it's always going to be a matter of time, bather load, and procedure so-to-speak for that need or frequency of change-out.
I think we'll use the tub more this year and that should have a say in how fast the water comes up for changing out. I'm not convinced well get a year nor am am I striving to make that a goal. Heck if we use it so much more or have more friends over that it lasts 3 months, that's fine too. It's been far simpler to own and operate this thing than I'd have ever imagined.
 Q- Does bather load and 3 month intervals when needed mean the tub is a lot more work or difficulty to keep up with chemistry ? That
      would good to know since I'm still pretty clueless on lots of things.

* I welcome any advice and hope I'm not off base on the TDS being part of the determining factor, or in our case the only factor other than time / bather load. I don't want to encourage or spread misinformation.

So far, this new-to-us hot tub managing and chemistry has been much more smooth and easygoing than I expected and almost all of that is due to the great help and advice I've received here or read on posts by others sharing some experiences.

T Y

~ brian

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 06:29:13 am by bachman »

Hot Tub Forum

Just checking at 1 year ownership -
« on: October 25, 2019, 06:25:23 am »

bud16415

Re: Just checking at 1 year ownership -
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 08:52:23 am »
Hi Brian.
I remember most of the posts you mentioned and helping a little with getting you going. Shows how fast a year flies by. We both had a huge tree fall and just miss the tub. mine was saved by the pergola I built over the tub. The tub was untouched but the pergola was smashed good.

I think there is nothing like fresh changed water and getting the sparkle back. The only time I stretch my water life is if it is the mid winter months, otherwise when the sparkle fades I try and get after it.

I don’t conceder it using the water up, more of just borrowing it for a few months then returning it back into the cycle of water to be used again.

Lately we have tapered off getting our soaks also and it isn’t because we don’t love soaking, but like you said when we get around to it, it’s late and we are too tired to open the tub up. When we force ourselves just that little bit we are always happy we did. my guess is we are still averaging 4 times a week.

Like you the longer we own ours the easier it seems to be to take care of.

Good luck and don’t be a stranger.    :)   

bachman

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:34:45 am »
Thanks Bud;

I see most of my neighbor's trees are thinned out pretty good and nothing big hanging over us at the more vulnerable spot. I don't recall hearing of your tree incident but happy to hear the damage was not the tub anyways.

A pergola may be in our future but I think the heavy threats are gone. First up will be some UV protection for the tub area and likely a big off-set umbrella. My vision of that patio area changed and the extended area to the the side of the tub that would have been a recessed  yard level storage shed adjacent to the tub has been re-thought and will be more of the raised patio to offer a social area right there next to the tub. That and the pad for our big umbrella to offer some portable and strategic sun block. I think I can get it done soon and before winter actually hits and stays.
I'm about 30 16x16 paver stones away from completing and that entails a bit more sand and dirt packing and leveling. Finish work will be custom cuts for odds and edges and may get put off to the after-winter.
I hope to get more acclimated to posting pics and such, so much easier but for now, nothing too pretty to post yet anyways. We are on the edge of another snow potential, possibly a big one Sat late into Monday so this will be snowfall # 3 if it comes in.
I keep a foam rubber squeegee with long handle out back and it works well for shaving snow off the cover and even the cars with no rough edges or anything. Happy fall / Halloween and winter to all as it bears down upon us -- ready or not !

~ b

bachman

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 03:35:53 am »
Well, that was fun !
Saturday was low to mid 70's and really perfect for the chore, drain- scrub- re-fill tub.
Weather did move in and by Sat night's low of 23 or something, Sunday's high temp was about 26 f and although the snow forecast to start as early Saturday evening was updated a few times and pushed back, it was barley coming down at 10 pm Sunday night.

By Monday morning at 7am, 4" of powder and 14 deg . Got a few more inches later in the morning and now we get another round, our #4 snow episode of the season thus far showing a start up Tues noon through Weds even 6 pm bringing potential of six to 12 of wet-heavy snow. This current coating came as directed as the possible 4 - 7 " so they got it right, just a bit delayed timing.

*Enjoy your seasonal wx swings as is likely for most and Happy Halloween !!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 03:35:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42