What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New to Hot Tubs, looking to buy, need advice  (Read 7765 times)

terps19

New to Hot Tubs, looking to buy, need advice
« on: October 11, 2019, 03:24:16 pm »
Hello all,

Excited to be in the market for a hot tub.  Finally getting my insurance payout for an accident I was in almost 20 months ago.  I was rear ended while at a complete stop; the guy who hit me was going at least 55 mph.  Luckily nothing too serious, but I did have some bad whiplash, strained muscles in neck and back etc.

So my main objective with a hot tub is the therapeutic relief as well as the relaxation aspect. 

The hot tub will go on a paver patio in the back yard just off the deck.  I am looking for about a 6 person tub because we have two kids, and don’t want to be too cramped.

My budget can range from $5,000 to $10,000 but probably would like to stay at or below $7,500 and would like that price to cover steps, cover, cover lifter, and chemicals for a few months.  I also like the idea of the ozone filtration systems that, from what I read, help you use less chemicals.   
Lounge seat is a must. 

Dealers in a 50 mile radius include:

Caldera
Freeflow
Nordic
Jacuzzi

From the backyard store:
Dreammaker
Artesian
South Seas
Garden Spas
Bullfrog
TidalFit
Covana

Are there any brands, not listed above, that I should seek out? 

I know wet testing is a good idea, but given my price point, and desire for good hydrotherapy what are some of the brands I should focus on?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.       

Hot Tub Forum

New to Hot Tubs, looking to buy, need advice
« on: October 11, 2019, 03:24:16 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: New to Hot Tubs, looking to buy, need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 08:32:12 pm »
At $7500 price point I would skip Freeflow and dreammaker for sure. Tidal fit I think is the artesian swim spa. Covana is a cover only. Garden Spas is entry level Artesian. Look at vacanza line from Caldera, 200 series from Jacuzzi, LS series Nordic and artesian.  Think the south seas falls roughly in that price point. All good tubs

swilly1000

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:06:12 am »
If jetting/hydrotherapy are priorities to you do yourself a favour and wet test the Master Twilight Series 8.2.  It has a lounger and lots of big powerful jets. 

It may be a little beyond your price point (I paid $15K CDN all in, approximately $11K US) but if it's your health and you really like it......

Master is not a popular brand here and there will likely be some posts telling you to stay from them but if you like the superior jet power that will be a tipping point.

Good luck!

terps19

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:15:44 am »
Finally got some pricing today which may or may not be negotiable:

The J355 with a complete basic package (normal delivery, cover, steps, start up water care kit) regular price $13,090, sale price $10,390.
The J335, Regular price $12,270, sale price $9,570.
The J235, regular price $9,440, sale price $7,140.

Hopefully will be stopping by the local hot tub store with the Nordic tubs.

NBonugli

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 02:43:54 pm »
Check out Master as well. I agree with Swilly look at the Twilight series. The have great therapy jets and they are well made. I personally had a bit larger budget and went with the master legend series. Check out my setup on the "Show us your tub" section of this forum.

Nick B
Middleton, MA

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 11:48:35 am »
Of the list you provided, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Artesian, and Bullfrog are the brands that are going to be able to go to the next level in terms of quality.  They will provide mid-tier ranges as well, and I have many dealers that speak highly of Nordic as a price point spa. Freeflow and Dreammaker are roto-mold brands that are simply an entirely different animal.

Wet test, research the dealer, and trust your instincts.  Get the list narrowed down to a few units and let us know where you stand.  We can help you really comb through the differences from there!

I hope this helps, good luck moving forward.

terps19

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 12:31:32 pm »
We tested a barefoot spa ML7 series my FIL just got.  That was pretty dang nice, and he got it at a tent show for $6500.  MSRP on the barefoot spa says it is $17k- that is QUITE the difference. 

The jacuzzi dealer is getting the J-335 ready for a wet test this Sunday.

I am thinking $10k all in on everything is our max and of course we will want the steps, cover lifter, etc.     

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 01:31:59 pm »
We tested a barefoot spa ML7 series my FIL just got.  That was pretty dang nice, and he got it at a tent show for $6500.  MSRP on the barefoot spa says it is $17k- that is QUITE the difference. 

The MSRP here is complete crap.  Normally I think, based on what I see from the manufacturers.  Their MSRPs are generally private and only to the dealers... some publish it to the customers through their website forms.  But I see a lot of manufacturers publish an MSRP generally $1000-$2500 more than it sells for...

To publish something $17k and sell it for $6.5k... either they are way overvaluing something that didn't cost that much to make at all... or they are lying

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 02:31:00 pm »

The MSRP here is complete crap.  Normally I think, based on what I see from the manufacturers.  Their MSRPs are generally private and only to the dealers... some publish it to the customers through their website forms.  But I see a lot of manufacturers publish an MSRP generally $1000-$2500 more than it sells for...

To publish something $17k and sell it for $6.5k... either they are way overvaluing something that didn't cost that much to make at all... or they are lying

Showing an MSRP is about as irrelevant and misleading as using a 10 year old picture on your dating app!

Lets just skip to the reality of the situation, what is the "sale" price (plus all the other real info regarding the spa)!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

terps19

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 03:34:40 pm »

Showing an MSRP is about as irrelevant and misleading as using a 10 year old picture on your dating app!

Lets just skip to the reality of the situation, what is the "sale" price (plus all the other real info regarding the spa)!

It is more frustrating than shopping for a car...   

d00nut

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 05:50:44 pm »
It doesn't have to be. 
Priorities:
1) Budget - Tell the dealer(s) what your budget is and see what they have that fits your budget
2) wet test - to determine what is important
3) Dealer - determine what dealer will best serve you long term. 

Those in order should be how you decide. 

Hottubtime

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 09:34:13 pm »
I agree this business is full of secrets and it’s really frustrating. 

swilly1000

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 08:59:56 am »
Check out Master as well. I agree with Swilly look at the Twilight series. The have great therapy jets and they are well made. I personally had a bit larger budget and went with the master legend series. Check out my setup on the "Show us your tub" section of this forum.

Nick B
Middleton, MA

I didn't realize you were going Master with that setup until that post.   SSSWWWEEETTTT!!!!

How do you like those jets????

terps19

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 10:34:13 am »
Went on a wet test for the Jacuzzi J-335.  Dealer seemed nice and all... with the "special" year end savings we could get the J-335 for $9,900 with delivery, cover, cover lifter, steps, start up chemicals etc. 

Im not sure how much of a deal that is really.  Later that day, dealer said they had one on "red tag" with a discount of $1,000 but this one had the surround sound so it would end up being the same cost $9,900.  He mentioned that it was the same color scheme as we were in, which immediately in my mind I thought "we are getting the floor model" since they may want to clear out whats on the floor?  If that's the case, then I would surely expect more than a $1,000 discount right? 

I asked about the filtration system, and he indicated that the UV set up was better than what others offered in the OZone set up.  He indicated that the OZone tubs had issues with "gas off" which shortened the lifespan of a cover.  Is there any truth to that? 

My wife is 5-3 and she was not all that comfortable in the tub at first, so we lowered the water to just above the highest jet which helped.  I am wondering how comfortable those weighted cushions are? 

I am trying to have other dealers contact us back regarding wet tests but we really haven't had much luck there. 

NBonugli

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 01:03:49 pm »
Swilly,
Haven't fired it up yet. Elec comes tonight for final hookup. Water filled last night. I'm thinking Wed or Thurs night I'll be giving it the inaugural test run.

Nick B
Middleton

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 01:03:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42