What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time hot tub purchase  (Read 4335 times)

Firsttimehottub

First time hot tub purchase
« on: August 12, 2019, 04:32:05 am »
Hi. I hope it's OK that I've joined the forum - I've been reading some posts and you all seem very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly.

We are based in the North of England and currently trying to decide which hot tub will be the best for our family (currently me, husband and 2 boys aged 12 and 9). We have done loads of reading and research online, as well as talking to some people in stores and reading your posts on here and we have narrowed it down (we think!) Because of where we are located our only close options are Jacuzzi, Artesian, Hot Springs and Hydropool. We have ruled Hydropool out as there are too many bad reviews online and we thought we would easily find one from the other 3 makes we have on offer.

So, the story so far is that we have wet tested 2 Jacuzzis and 2 Hot Springs and have sat in a dry Artesian. I'll explain what we're currently thinking about these and hope you might be able to add some extra information or give some opinions about what you think?

In no particular order:
1. Jacuzzi J235 priced at £6999 including cover, steps, chemical starter set - wet tested and we all really liked it. I especially liked the foot jets on the lounger, the boys liked the waterfall being in a seat and there was enough room for us all and our feet in the footwell, so it all felt very spacious. It's very affordable for us and will mean that the extra cost of electricity, chemicals and other things to keep it running won't feel as expensive. We'd almost agreed that this was the one but I just have a small niggle that, because it's the entry level range of Jacuzzi, we might become bored of it after a few years use.

2. Jacuzzi J335 priced at £10999 including cover, steps, chemical starter set - wet tested and we liked it but the lounger seat goes into another seat so there's a bit of overlap and it didn't quite feel as spacious. We loved the enhanced jets they were gorgeous and the lights and bluetooth system were nice touches, but the layout perhaps wasn't quite right for us and we don't think we can justify the additional £4K cost for this. We think we've ruled this one out but I keep thinking about the wonderful jets and how comfy all the seats were!

3. Hot Springs Flair priced at £8500 including cover, cover lifter, chemical starter set) - wet tested and we so wanted to like this as we feel it's a good price and it is an absolutely beautiful looking thing. I love Hot Springs cabinets and the way they have designed the tubs and am very drawn to the fact that they seem like they would be the most energy efficient. Unfortunately I kept floating around the Flair and the foot well was small and it just didn't feel like it had enough room in it so we have to rule it out - gutted!

4. Hot Springs Relay priced at £5995 including cover, cover lifter, chemical starter set) - wet tested and we did like this as I didn't float in the lounger and there was much more space in the footwell so we could all fit in and it felt spacious. Again, really wanted to like it but I didn't feel like the jets were quite as good as either Jacuzzi and the shell itself didn't quite feel as solid, moulded and chairs less comfortable if that makes sense. Also on this we didn't really like the calf jets on the lounger and preferred having foot ones like on the Jacuzzi 235.

5. Artesian South Seas 748L priced at £7500 including cover, cover lifter, steps, chemical starter set) - not wet tested but have sat in it dry and it felt comfortable and spacious as well as very solidly built as a comparison to the Jacuzzis. Again, with this the lounge seat means that your legs are on top of someone else in a seat but this didn't feel as bad as in the J335.

6. Hot Springs Tempo (unknown price probably around the same or maybe slightly more than the Relay) - not even seen this except in the brochure but wondering if it might be a good choice with it being a bit bigger and having foot jets in the lounge seat. I am still concerned that the build 'quality' doesn't feel as solid on the hot springs as it does on the Jacuzzi but I am still drawn to the energy efficiency of the Hot Springs.

So, we have 2 choices really from now. We can just buy the Jacuzzi 235 and probably be very happy for years to come or we can go and try to wet test and Artesian 748 and Tempo just to see the difference. Would you?

As far as Jacuzzis go I know they are a really big brand but I am concerned about proprietary parts being used on them and the build quality underneath not being quite as good as it used to be, but I guess they're all owned by large manufacturers these days so risks out there with everything.

If anyone has any tips or would be happy to 'vote' for any of these options it would be good to hear what you would get if given these choices.

Thanks for sticking with me through this lengthy post!

Hot Tub Forum

First time hot tub purchase
« on: August 12, 2019, 04:32:05 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: First time hot tub purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:38:35 am »
Welcome to the forum.  It appears you are off to a good start.  All are good brands, though I haven't been price shopping in about 6 years and I don't know the exchange rate! Back to reading your message.   Let us know how it goes for you.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:41:03 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 10:48:25 am »
So, we have 2 choices really from now. We can just buy the Jacuzzi 235 and probably be very happy for years to come or we can go and try to wet test and Artesian 748 and Tempo just to see the difference. Would you?

1) Buy the Jacuzzi that was the best of the options you've tested so far but don't wet test the other 2 models in question therefore not knowing if you bought the best option available.

Or

2) Wet test the other 2 and then buy whichever of the 3 fits/feels best to you.

Do you really need guidance on which is the best course of action for an item you hope to enjoy for 10+ years?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Firsttimehottub

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:53:13 am »

1) Buy the Jacuzzi that was the best of the options you've tested so far but don't wet test the other 2 models in question therefore not knowing if you bought the best option available.

Or

Do you really need guidance on which is the best course of action for an item you hope to enjoy for 10+ years?

Well, that’s me told then. I guess I was looking for some opinions from people who are more experienced at this than I am but if you’ve got none to give that’s fine too.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:07:34 pm »

Or

Well, that’s me told then. I guess I was looking for some opinions from people who are more experienced at this than I am but if you’ve got none to give that’s fine too.

I didn't think I was hiding my opinion. Clearly I think the best choice is wet testing further to either confirm the Jacuzzi is your best choice or finding that one of the other reaches out to you and reveals itself as even better. It may cost you a little more time but will give you peace of mind that you covered all bases.

Firsttimehottub

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 01:35:37 pm »
Fair enough. I am kind of leaning that way too just so we’ve done due diligence on everything. I think we ought to test the artesian definitely but worried the tempo will be a waste of time. At least we’d know though.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 02:24:39 pm »
Fair enough. I am kind of leaning that way too just so we’ve done due diligence on everything. I think we ought to test the artesian definitely but worried the tempo will be a waste of time. At least we’d know though.

You'd be shocked how often a spa that tests well dry fails in a wet test or vice versa, the spa that was just seems ok in a dry test turns out to fit just right. Dry testing is a good first step but means very little beyond the idea that is worthy of taking the next step and wet test. Having said that the Artesian may show itself to be just as good in the wet test as the dry but I wouldn't put money on it.

AJ1001

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 07:18:06 pm »
Hi fella,

We are also in the same position, been looking for the past several weeks and lost for choice but are swaying towards the hot springs but a little confused as to how you have managed to get these substantially below what I have been quotes, we are looking at the flair but have been quoted £10100.00, would you mind sharing who quoted you as I may pass my business their way.

Many thanks

Firsttimehottub

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 05:17:08 am »

You'd be shocked how often a spa that tests well dry fails in a wet test or vice versa, the spa that was just seems ok in a dry test turns out to fit just right. Dry testing is a good first step but means very little beyond the idea that is worthy of taking the next step and wet test. Having said that the Artesian may show itself to be just as good in the wet test as the dry but I wouldn't put money on it.

Thank you.

I was wondering if anyone has any specific views on these models of hot tubs also? I am confident that Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Artesian are good manufacturers but what about the models themselves - does anyone have them?

Also, any views on which one is the most economical to run?

Firsttimehottub

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:32 am »
Hi fella,

We are also in the same position, been looking for the past several weeks and lost for choice but are swaying towards the hot springs but a little confused as to how you have managed to get these substantially below what I have been quotes, we are looking at the flair but have been quoted £10100.00, would you mind sharing who quoted you as I may pass my business their way.

Many thanks

Hot tub world in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. They have excellent reviews as a business online too so would be happy to give them my business given the right tub!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42