What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best Retrofit Kit - Circuit Board & Topside Control  (Read 5433 times)

GlennTheRealtor

Best Retrofit Kit - Circuit Board & Topside Control
« on: July 15, 2019, 05:53:07 pm »
I have a 2005 Marquis Spa Destiny Series that stopped working and is giving an "OHH" error.  Prior to this, I had recently replaced pump 1 and the heating element, it was working fine and then one day stopped working and gave that error.  I just replaced the temperature sensors which didn't resolve the issue, so now I've been advised it's likely the circuit board.  The existing circuit board is a Balboa, part #53578, Model #MQ2KU.  The cost to replace with the original board is about $625.  My topside control panel is very worn and may go at any minute so I will likely need to replace that too.  Replacement of the topside control panel, Balboa Panel Number 53504 cost is $395.  Instead of paying over $1,000, it's been suggested I just get a retrofit kit that has both the circuit board and topside control panel.  My hot tub has two 2-speed pumps, two lights (main light and one under the waterfall), and an Ozone Generator.  I'm looking for the best retrofit kit to restore as much of the functionality as possible.  I was told the Balboa VS510SZ is a good option and I found one for $399 which is MUCH better than $1,000.  It only has one 2-speed pump control and the other pump will have to run at single speed.  Also, only one light controller, so I guess I won't be able to connect the waterfall light.  Not a huge sacrifice to save $600.  I found a couple others that do have two 2-speed pump controls.  One called Apollo 11 VC Pack for $329 and one called Waterway NEO 2100 Spa Control System for about $550.  I'm familiar with the Balboa name, however not Apollo 11 or Waterway.  Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the best, cost effective retrofit kit that would work for my hot tub?  Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

Hot Tub Forum

Best Retrofit Kit - Circuit Board & Topside Control
« on: July 15, 2019, 05:53:07 pm »

castletonia

Re: Best Retrofit Kit - Circuit Board & Topside Control
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:08:07 pm »
I have never heard of Apollo 11 and have no personal experience with the Waterway Neo.  I would try and seek out the BP series from Balboa.  That is their latest and greatest and should be more cost effective than the VS series. 

GlennTheRealtor

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:24:43 pm »
Thanks castletonia, I'll look into those too.  I did a quick search and found one for about $600, so $200 more than the VS series I found.  Looks like the BP series only has a 1-speed pump 2 as well.  Maybe I don't need that pump to have 2 speeds, and I'd much rather go with a reputable company like Balboa.
 I'll look through the rest of the specs to see if it seems to be worth the extra $200.  Do you have any insight on why it's better?  Thanks again!

GlennTheRealtor

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:55:01 pm »
***UPDATE***
I called Balboa Water Group to ask their advice and find out the differences between the VS Series and BP Series.  He said the main difference is that the BP Series is WiFi capable, which doesn't matter to me, so I'd rather save the money.  I asked for any options for a retrofit circuit board that will operate two 2-speed pumps and he suggested I call a distributor in California who has one configured for that (I won't mention their name here, don't know if that's allowed or if it's considered advertising).  I searched that company's website and called them to confirm.  What I found is the Balboa VS520SZ Dual Pump Spa Controller Kit w/ Topside, 56007HC1-53189.  Their price is $559.89 and they charge $19.95 to configure it, based on the specs of the spa.  It only has one 12v light controller, so looks like I won't be using the waterfall light...or, I'll have to find another way to supply that additional 12 volts to it.  At least I'll be able to run both pumps at 2 speeds.  I'm looking to see if I can find it any cheaper.  If not, I'll be ordering it and will update here once I've installed it, in case anyone else is looking for a similar solution.

BriggTrim

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 03:09:10 am »
Hi...I incline toward the Balboa since the radiators and sensors are field replaceable, where within the in.xe & xm you've got to supplant the complete radiator get together. Moreover, the Balboa appears a small "more tightly." The Gecko pack encompasses a elastic seal around the cover which continuously appears to be falling out when we attempt to put it together within the field, and the cable strain help clamps do not fit exceptionally well over overwhelming pump harnesses. For retrofitting a new pack with a gecko framework, I favor the in.ye, which is exceedingly flexible and employments the same AMP connectors as the Balboa pack. In the event that you have got a 3 pump or a 2 pump and blower framework, the in.ye is less costly than the Balboa. You've got to computer program program the in.ye, but it's not troublesome to take after the headings. The Balboa is modified by plunge switches.

https://www.7pcb.com/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 06:47:55 pm by BriggTrim »

caryga

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 11:42:51 pm »
Glenn, I have the same Balboa board, please email me the company you used that will configure the board for your needs.

Thank you,
Cary

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 11:42:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42