What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric wiring for new tub. Newbie  (Read 1856 times)

Butterz

Electric wiring for new tub. Newbie
« on: August 25, 2019, 08:30:03 am »
purchased artisans Nevis hot tub. I had electrician come out to set me up for service.

I had a 60amp breaker placed where hot tub will be. 6 gauge 4 wire ran to main breaker box for house. Gfci breaker place at the main breaker box of the house. The gfci has a reset button. The breaker box near the spa is one like for ac unit where you just pull the (not sure of word) fuse out.

I've seen most of breaker box have the gfci in the box at the spa.

Is what I had done correct or what?

Concern but lic  electrician said it can be done either way...

Hot Tub Forum

Electric wiring for new tub. Newbie
« on: August 25, 2019, 08:30:03 am »

bud16415

Re: Electric wiring for new tub. Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:46:50 am »
The GFCI breaker should be located within eyesight of the tub but no closer than 5 feet from the water in the tub. It should be in an easily accessible location not behind landscaping etc.

The reason you want it there is they are to be tested monthly and inside the enclosure door there should be a sticker where you can check off each time you test it.

The code is NEC 680.12 and it says there must be a service disconnect and that is what you have so your electrician could be technically correct in placing the GFCI back at the main panel.

I would not like it there for the above reasons and it is backwards to all the installs I have seen. It should be safe the way it is IMO. Keep in mind I am not a licensed electrician and take my information as such.       

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:30:00 am »
Having the GFCI box out near the spa means the service technician will basically never have to get in your house.  With tripping breaker being a standard service call, this means every time the service technician has to test the spa, he has to get in your house. 

If it is already done, no big deal, and probably not worth having the electrician back to switch it around.

swilly1000

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 11:44:59 am »
That's pretty backward to have done it that way.  Are your kitchen and bathroom GFIC's at the main box too?  Ask him why he did it that way.  It's awkward and inconvenient.  I would be thinking about getting him to fix that.  Safe? Probably.  Backwards? Definitely.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 05:13:51 pm »
Always make the repair guy as efficient as possible. Put the GFCI out by the tub.

But it can be done either way.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 05:13:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42