What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical conduit location question for 2019 Hot Spring Grandee  (Read 5122 times)

billymac

Site prep is underway with forming scheduled for Tuesday and concrete pour Thursday or Friday.

Question though, I've read through the site-prep and electrical documentation but one thing is unclear.

Can I have our contractor and electrician run the conduit underneath the tub so that it comes up underneath the tub and is not seen, or does it have to come up outside the perimeter of the tub's footprint?

Hot Tub Forum

bud16415

Re: electrical conduit location question for 2019 Hot Spring Grandee
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 08:01:22 am »
Mine comes up thru the bottom of the tub in the equipment area. I did my own install on a wood deck and after the tub was located I drilled thru and pulled a seal-tite flex conduit up into the tub from below.

With a concrete pad it would be harder to do as the location would have to be planned in advance and the tub lifted and placed over the ridged conduit. My tub is about 800 pounds empty and we had all we could do to just slide it on a smooth stained wood surface.

It does make a nice clean look though. Most people just pick the least visible side and bring it in there.   

billymac

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 08:22:23 am »
Thanks for the reply. Couple questions. We know exactly where this thing is going to rest, down to a tolerance of probably an inch. That said, I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to run conduit after forming prior to the pour and nail this, but I have not seen behind the access panel to know how much room there is to work with.

The salesperson recommended calling the service department as she was unable (or likely unwilling due to liability) to answer. I will call them tomorrow, but was hoping another Grandee owner could comment.

If this is not possible, then is it possible to run the cable up tight to the bottom skirt from the back to the side access hole? This would allow me to at least still run under the concrete and then come up out of the ground in the back on a slightly less noticeable side.

Thanks again for your replies.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 08:38:34 am »
Ya you would have to get them to pull the cover off and measure where the open areas are in advance of your pour. In my case I just waited and took a look and picked a good spot that didn’t hit a joist below.

You could hide the conduit under the toe kick area I think coming from behind. The holes they put in the sides/corner at least on my Caldera are above the toe kick in the corner piece. I think Hot Springs also does this.

I asked my dealer if they could pull the access cover off the floor model so I could see the guts and they looked at me like I was crazy. Saying they never had that request before. I didn’t push the issue and never saw what was inside until it arrived. The stupid part is the directions for the tub including how to remove the panel were behind the panel. I had a heck of a time getting that panel off as it was glued on by assembling it before the black paint they used on the inside had dried.

I’m sure it can be done. I just wouldn’t want to have to lift the tub over a conduit if it ever had to go in for service etc. 

Another thought and I have never saw this done and I just thought about it. If the stairs are going to go against a side that provides access the stairs could cover the entry point of the conduit.

swilly1000

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 05:05:23 pm »
I brought it up from underneath and it was perfect but you have to plan, check, double check and triple check.  Even then the electrician was off by a few inches before pouring so I had it moved.  I've read many stories of it being screwed up. But for sure it's a stealth and clean install and worth the time.

I had my dealer send me a schematic of the bottom and used that in planning.

Here's a pic.  The conduit is on the left between the pavers resting on the pad.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXbigJDyWYLAxbdx9

billymac

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 03:03:34 pm »
In case this helps anybody down the road with this specific model:

Well, I was advised by the dealer's service department NOT to bring it up through the new pour under the tub itself. I was a little disappointed with this answer, but we have the location so dialed in, I don't think you're really going to notice it. Also, because we have a continuous surface, we'll be able to line up the tub right next to the punch through location at delivery.

Our backup plan was to run the conduit out past the back edge of the new concrete, punch out from the ground and then run flex conduit up against the toe kick to the electrical entrance. Really glad I double-checked that, because that would have been really unsightly given the fact the corners on the Grandee come clear down to the ground. 

New stamped concrete just needs it's relief cuts, an acid wash and a couple coats of sealer, which are being done this next week. Tub is scheduled for delivery in a few weeks and we can't wait!

Thanks for all the replies.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 03:03:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42