What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question About Thoroughly Draining Spa (Bullfrog)  (Read 5101 times)

FL Person

Question About Thoroughly Draining Spa (Bullfrog)
« on: June 25, 2019, 02:41:43 pm »
Last summer I drained my Bullfrog R6 using only a sump pump, intending to simply clean and refill.  Because of unforeseen circumstances, I didn't get around to refilling the spa for a month or more (maybe two?).  When I started to refill, I realized the mistake I'd made.  There was extensive algae growth in the hidden water that remained in the low spots of the plumbing.  I had to refill and drain several times to rid the spa of that foul water.

This year, because of (1) the realization that I take no pleasure in using the spa when it's 93+ degrees outside and (2) an extensive upcoming travel schedule, I want to drain the spa and leave it empty for the next two or three months. 

I just drained it using the sump pump while simultaneously using the built in gravity drain connection.  With the Jetpaks removed, I can see there is still standing water in the internal plumbing.

How to I go about getting as much of the water out of the plumbing as possible?  I don't want to find that I've created a new ecosystem when it comes time to refill.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:48:50 pm by FL Person »

Hot Tub Forum

Question About Thoroughly Draining Spa (Bullfrog)
« on: June 25, 2019, 02:41:43 pm »

FL Person

Re: Question About Thoroughly Draining Spa (Bullfrog)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 03:53:21 pm »
I held a wet/dry vac against the ports that the three Jetpak (o-rings) seat into.  I definitely removed at least a couple gallons of trapped water from the plumbing doing this.

Is it likely that this removed the majority of the trapped water?  Is it necessary to remove the front panel and mess with any of the plumbing at the pump?

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 08:03:37 am »
I have a shop vac that converts to a leaf blower. After I get all I can out with draining i then do as you did and suck out what I can. Then i use the leaf blower side to blow in the jets and I get a good 5 gallons out that way that I then suck up. I do it every fill then clean the tub with micro-fiber cloths and vinegar in a spray bottle. You will still have a little water setting in the low spots but if you hit it hard with a chlorine shock a few days before draining I think you would be good for the summer.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:55:35 am »
 Late in the day if possible without the sun blasting it, leave the lid open for awhile.  That will help air it out as well.

Just DO NOT let it bake in the sun!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:55:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42