What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help. Lines and pipes completely clogged with bees.  (Read 2370 times)

shay.fowler

Help. Lines and pipes completely clogged with bees.
« on: June 06, 2019, 07:25:51 pm »
About three weeks ago a hive of bees discovered my hot tub. I've been fishing out about 500 bodies a day.

This has all happened wth the cover ON. They just climb right under the skirt and get themselves killed. When I'm trying to clean it with the cover off, I pause to clean out the net, turn around and there's another dozen or two fresh drownding bees back in. Frankly I'm shocked that there's any bees left to suicide at this point.

Their bodies have compeletely clogged the lines. My fountains don't even move a trickle of water anymore.

And that's my primary problem. How do I get the bees out of the lines? Is there a product that'll break the bodies down or do the lines have to be cleaned manually?

(I've got a plan to stop the maddness. I just need help fixing the poor hot tub)

Hot Tub Forum

Help. Lines and pipes completely clogged with bees.
« on: June 06, 2019, 07:25:51 pm »

Sam

Re: Help. Lines and pipes completely clogged with bees.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 03:04:34 pm »
Man, that's a new one for me haha.  I would think a mega dose of chlorine along with a system flush like ahh-some may work but that's just me throwing a dart at the wall.

shay.fowler

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 04:06:45 pm »
I appreciate darts! lol!

Right now I'm i the process of drawing them somewhere else. They've got two buckets of sugar water with flowers floating in them covered with honey. They're thrilled. Very few are bothering the hot tub right now. So far not one bee has died in the buckets and that's not a bad thing.

I did put in spa cleaning solution and ran that yesterday. Drained the tub (again). Refilled it with fresh water (again), cleaned out the filter (again), added all the right chemicals (again) and extra clarifier. This morning the fountains have a bit of a trickle, so there's that.

I'm going to drill holes at the fountains dead end points, flush out the bodies, then plug the holes with rubber stops. I've needed a way to clean them out since I got the hot tub and this is the best solution that I can come up with right now.

Any more darts and I'll listen! lol!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 08:31:12 am »
Take out the jet faces and make an adapter to force water in the jets with a garden hose to flush back to the filter canister.

Dart
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 08:37:55 am »
 You have an ozonator on your spa?  Also if they are going for the water, you might try a large bowl with rocks and fill it with water. With the rocks sticking out of the water for someplace for them to land on. 

T'mans suggestion and nuking with chlorine might work as well for cleaning the lines out.

shay.fowler

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 04:08:28 pm »
Thanks you. Right now the bees and I have a truce. I give them a pan with sugar water, floating flowers, and drips of honey, they leave the spa alone.

shay.fowler

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 04:10:38 pm »
You have an ozonator on your spa?  Also if they are going for the water, you might try a large bowl with rocks and fill it with water. With the rocks sticking out of the water for someplace for them to land on. 

T'mans suggestion and nuking with chlorine might work as well for cleaning the lines out.

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 04:10:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42