What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover lifter mount  (Read 4223 times)

flamingoezz

Cover lifter mount
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:07:01 am »
I ordered a Covermate 3 and I'm wondering -- can the lifter be mount on any side of the tub? I wanted it to provide privacy on a specific side of my tub, but that would involveone of the brackets being mounted to the side with the access panel. Curious if there are any issues with that generally.

Hot Tub Forum

Cover lifter mount
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:07:01 am »

bud16415

Re: Cover lifter mount
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 08:31:44 am »
I will say yes it can be done, but I would never do it, as I want to be able to quickly get in that area if I need to without removing all that lifter stuff.

I would turn the tub or build a privacy wall or screen on that side of the tub. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 03:59:24 pm »
it really depends on the spa...problems can arise because now you are screwing the 'brackets' of the Covermate III to the door of the spa and sometimes there isn't any supports directly behind the cabinet/door in that area and you don't want to rely on putting all that weight of the cover on just a thin door panel

flamingoezz

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 08:09:08 pm »
The hottub is surrounded by the deck on 2 sides, so there is really only one other way it could be configured, which isn't ideal as the stairs would no longer be accessible from where you'd enter.

How often do you need to access the motors and such? I'd imagine only when there are issues, which hopefully shouldn't be more than a time or two a year, and its probably only 3-4 screws securing it on that side. That doesn't seem like much of a hassle to me -- though this is my first tub and i could be off on how often i'll need too get in there.

It looks as through there's 3-4 inches at the top of the tub to attach the mount based on another forum users photo.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f89/cpw131/Hot%20Tub/08_zps96055ead.jpg

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 07:29:34 am »
The hottub is surrounded by the deck on 2 sides, so there is really only one other way it could be configured, which isn't ideal as the stairs would no longer be accessible from where you'd enter.

How often do you need to access the motors and such? I'd imagine only when there are issues, which hopefully shouldn't be more than a time or two a year, and its probably only 3-4 screws securing it on that side. That doesn't seem like much of a hassle to me -- though this is my first tub and i could be off on how often i'll need too get in there.

It looks as through there's 3-4 inches at the top of the tub to attach the mount based on another forum users photo.

In that case and as long as your tub has solid structure in those areas it is what you have to do. I have had the cover off my tub twice in 6 years. once when i hooked it up and once when i had a line come off.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 07:58:34 pm »

It's not so much about the frequency of taking the door off, it's the potential for your cover (as it gains water weight) to pull out from a potentially thin door panel...also if you're only using 3 or 4 screws to secure a coverlift to a spa it will last approx. a week before it breaks, a Covermate I and Covermate III will use (based on memory) 8-12 screws PER SIDE to secure it to the tub.  Bottom line just call your dealer as ask, "Can I put a Covermate III Side to Side on the Artesian I purchased" and they should have an answer for you..Good Luck!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:00:15 pm by BullFrogSpasMN »

flamingoezz

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 08:47:13 am »
You're right -- i looked up the manual and there are 8-10 screws on each side. They are 2" long however and from everything I've seen the framing is the same on front and sides, so structurally there shouldn't be any difference. I reached out to my dealer just to get an ok, but I'd imagine it should be ok. Thanks for the comments.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 09:33:39 am »
  The screws should bite in at the top hard to know if there is enough "meat" for the btm ones to?   You will need to probably trim the top if the trim psc guessing about 2" or so, otherwise there will be a gap between the lift bracket and the spa.   Though I have done it like that with no problem.    Also predrill the screw holes, sometimes the coverlift screws will split the panel if you go to fast. 

Should work!   ;)

flamingoezz

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 01:42:01 pm »
Thanks Jim -- wasn't sure what psc meant..I did hear back from my dealer and he said its ok to do -- though he mentioned with increased use, the connection may become less secure.

You will need to probably trim the top if the trim psc guessing about 2" or so, otherwise there will be a gap between the lift bracket and the spa.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 04:21:11 pm »
 Sorry it's the trim that used to hide the gap where panel meets the corner.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 04:21:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42