What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2019 Calddra Niagara Orange Light Blinking  (Read 4236 times)

Steph135

2019 Calddra Niagara Orange Light Blinking
« on: June 08, 2019, 01:38:35 pm »
Hello,

I have been a lurker, as we were searching for a hot tub. We did our wet tests, and fell in love with the Caldera Niagara, which was way over our original budget, but decided this is something we have been wanting for many years, so we were going to go with our favorite.

Fast forward, and our hot tub was delivered yesterday, our electrician came out, hooked everything up, the hot tub was filled, and the jets worked, and we thought the heater was working. We left to have dinner, came home, and the orange light was flashing telling us the temperature sensor is off.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the issue?  We tried turning the power off and on again, and it's still not heating. I also thinking maybe an airlock issue.  We have just the jets running now, and my husband was going to try turning the breaker off again. We also have a call in to our dealer, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice?  Super bummed.

Hot Tub Forum

2019 Calddra Niagara Orange Light Blinking
« on: June 08, 2019, 01:38:35 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: 2019 Calddra Niagara Orange Light Blinking
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:15:42 pm »
Are the power and ready lights flashing as well?  If you put your hand over where the circulation pump jet is do you feel water coming out?

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 01:22:15 pm »
Is this running saltwater and if so, has the salt been added?

Steph135

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 06:57:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  We contacted our dealer, and we sorted out the blinking orange light, and then there were no lights, and he suggested we had a wire in the wrong place.  It turns out our electrician put one wire in the wrong place, and we had no heat.  I am glad it was human error rather than a faulty tub, but I am also rather disturbed that it was the electrician's error.

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 09:35:00 pm »
Electrician’s make mistakes more often than not.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 10:27:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  We contacted our dealer, and we sorted out the blinking orange light, and then there were no lights, and he suggested we had a wire in the wrong place.  It turns out our electrician put one wire in the wrong place, and we had no heat.  I am glad it was human error rather than a faulty tub, but I am also rather disturbed that it was the electrician's error.

They are human. At least it wasn’t a big deal. If i had 5 bucks for every electrician mistake I’ve seen I’d be able to retire 😀. It’s actually quite common. That’s why I try and insist on having my electrician wire tubs I sell.

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:31:24 am »
I wired my own Caldera Geneva and it can be a little tricky. When you get the diagrams at least when I did mine they are all lumped together for all the models and there are some connection points o the board where nothing is placed.

I would strongly also recommend using boot marker numbers on the wires before you pull them thru the conduit. Most tubs are cut and dry with 2 hot, 1 common , 1 ground. Caldera on their premium tubs have a dual GFCI and run 7 wires I believe and without marking or closely following the diagram it is easy to get one wrong. Most residential electricians don’t see this type tub hook up very often.

The other reason for boot marker numbers is if you ever have to pull the tub out for service getting things hooked back up properly.

Glad it got straightened out and the incorrect wiring did no damage.

Enjoy your Caldera, you will not regret spending the extra money.     

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 12:44:33 pm »

Yeah but it was only 1 wire that was wrong!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 04:48:19 pm »

happens at least once per month here, usually when someone tries to save $100 by going with some random electrician vs. the one I refer who has hooked up spas for 10 years

castletonia

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 05:04:30 pm »
It’s almost always the neutral wire being run to the ground bar instead of back to the breaker.  Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a 50A or a 20A/30A.

d00nut

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 06:00:29 pm »

happens at least once per month here, usually when someone tries to save $100 by going with some random electrician vs. the one I refer who has hooked up spas for 10 years

Can we sticky this?   :D

Steph135

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 07:20:29 pm »

In our case, it was a close friend that is also a licensed electrician, and he seemed pretty confident in setting it up, and from what I've read, it's not a huge surprise that something like this could happen.  If we didn't personally know an electrician, we probably would've searched for someone with more focused spa hook-up experience. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 10:25:02 am »

In our case, it was a close friend that is also a licensed electrician, and he seemed pretty confident in setting it up, and from what I've read, it's not a huge surprise that something like this could happen.  If we didn't personally know an electrician, we probably would've searched for someone with more focused spa hook-up experience.

You can recommend your guy now knowing he'll get it right next time because the ones who get it right consistently sometimes got it wrong the first time and from then on know better.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 10:25:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42