What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coast Spa tub not working  (Read 5665 times)

bud16415

Re: Coast Spa tub not working
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 01:42:47 pm »
Oh ok. I’m running salt in my water also without a chlorine generator yet. I don’t think salt should affect the stainless steel but who knows what grade they are made from especially aftermarket products. They are subject to a lot of thermal cycles and welds are only as good as the process. There is also planned obsolescence.

If I can ask what type of salt gen are you using? I love the feel of the salt in the water and thinking of buying a saltron-mini.   

I hate to state the obvious but if you're not using a chlorine generator with the salt then you're not creating any chlorine and therefore just have salty water.

In order for the salt alone to have any effect (other than feel) you'd have to have VERY salty water (many, many times what is used with a salt generator) and even then it will only help so much. If you do that you will be subjecting your metals to corrosion so you really need to limit how much salt you add and in that case it won't be effective from a sanitizing standpoint though you may prefer the feel of it.

I first added salt as an experiment in the same concentration as if I had a salt gen. I wanted to make sure everyone that regularly used the tub was ok with the addition of salt. I added 7 pounds of salt for a 350 gallon tub. We all agreed it changed the feel of the water in a good way. I proceeded with my normal tub chemistry as if the salt wasn’t in the tub. Dichlor as a sanitizer switching to liquid bleach based around stabilizer level. I feel the chemistry was even more stable and predictable with the salt in the water along with the better feel. I have no scientific proof of the water being more stable but it seems that way.

I’m not doing any ocean levels of salt or anything like that and I still have plans of buying a Saltron unit in the future but just haven’t got around to it. My last water change lasted 6 months and seemed as clear and clean when I drained it.

So the bottom line is yes I’m doing it for feel. I bought one big bag of pool salt and it will last many year with a tub. less than 50 cents per fill.     

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 01:42:47 pm »

bud16415

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:47 pm »
I am using a ControlOMatic TechniChlor Hot Tub and Spa Saltwater System Chorine Generator with Boost Mode

Thanks. Your system is very similar to the Saltron-Mini I was thinking about. Good to hear someone having success with these drop in units. 

bud16415

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 01:53:45 pm »
New update. The spa stays on but if I turn on the jets, it will run for about 5 minutes and then trips the breaker. Pump over heating?

Did you change the heater? If not it could take that long to work some water out of the heater to cause the trip.

I would be surprised the pump would run normal for 5 minutes and then trip something, but I wouldn’t rule anything out. You said you have had pumps/motors go before did they act like this? It takes a lot of draw to trip the breaker on overload.

Spot9

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 10:07:24 am »
I have two pumps in the tub. Pump 1 was shot when I bought the house and bought a rebuild. The same pump was fixed because a thread from a bathing suit made it's way into and broke the impeller. I noticed my water level down and found that pump 2 is leaking. It seem to be coming right out of the pump housing, not a union.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 10:07:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42