What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Power requirements  (Read 1636 times)

Trimunskinfresh

Power requirements
« on: May 31, 2019, 12:52:08 am »
Good morning,
I have been lurking the boards for quite some time and researching the purchase of my 1st tub.

I had the forsight when building our new home to have a concrete tub pad poured and 220V run to it. I didn't ask for a specific amperage (hadn't started researching tubs yet) and the builder put in 30 amp service.

Had I known better at the time I would have asked for 50 amp service, however now that the house is almost finished the only way to run 50 amp service is to run another line through the attic and down the side of the house through conduit, which I do not want to do, I really don't want to have conduit stuck to the side of my brand spankin new home.

Alot of the tubs I have been reasearching seem to have 50 amp, and even 60 amp requirements. 

I'm looking for a 6 person or larger tub, price not important. Am I going to have troubles finding a tub of that size that will run on 30 amp service?

Thank you in advance

Hot Tub Forum

Power requirements
« on: May 31, 2019, 12:52:08 am »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Power requirements
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 07:25:13 pm »
Marquis can run on 30 amps. Only issue you will have is when wired 30 amp the heater will shut off when pumps are on high speed.  There are probably other brands that can as well I’m just most familiar with Marquis and Caldera

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 08:13:25 am »
The more important question is what gage wire did he run? Copper or Aluminum? Most likely copper. And how long is the run?

He may have used a 30a breaker at the panel that could be upsized if the wire is large enough. Or if he didn't know 240v hot tubs need 50/60a and didn't ask he may have not done the rest of the installation correctly to code.

If it is new construction and it is not correct you should ask for it to be corrected. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 08:13:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42