What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chemical use questions  (Read 2356 times)

lovejoyland

chemical use questions
« on: April 27, 2019, 05:52:06 pm »
Hello,

My tub has been reading very high in alkalinity and a little less high in Ph lately. I just added some Ph/Alkalinity down (one product). It didn't seem to do much so I will try again. My question is what are some reasons my Ph and alkalinity are getting this high in the first place? Also, once I get it balanced is there any way to keep it that way. I tend to use plenty of non-chlorine shock oxidizer. The directions say to use it after every soak to keep the water clear, but I wonder if that is too much and if that is possibly contributing to the very high Ph/alkalinity. I also add my chlorinating granules at the same time as the non-chlorine shock oxidizer. I think I recently read that I shouldn't be doing that. My water stays clear, but I'm thinking I'm probably doing it all wrong. Please advise me in layman's terms.

Thanks!
Vanessa

Hot Tub Forum

chemical use questions
« on: April 27, 2019, 05:52:06 pm »

bud16415

Re: chemical use questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 01:51:33 pm »
My tub is close to 400 gallons and I add Dichlor/Chlorine after each use (1 tablespoon) I use the non chlorine shock sparingly. Less than once a week unless the usage is really high or the water isn’t quite as clear and sparkly as normal. On an average I would say I add the non chlorine shock about every other week. On the days we don’t use the tub I often skip the Dichlor for one day and haven’t seen a problem in doing that.

As a side note I switch from Dichlor to regular household bleach (1/3 cup = 1 tablespoon roughly) after the stabilizer level reaches 30-50PPM. Bleach is cheaper and keeping the stabilizer around 50PPM seems to help keeping the chlorine level stable. With adding water when it drops I go back to Dichlor for a week.

There are a lot of things that could be alkalinity/PH up and I’m not sure what to advise there except PH-Down and keep adding it. Others will be along with more advice I’m sure. For me IMO I think you are overdoing it with the shock.     

Hot Tub Forum

Re: chemical use questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 01:51:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42