What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotsprings Prism, saltwater question  (Read 9160 times)

Knettlet

Hotsprings Prism, saltwater question
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »
Hi All- new here. I am looking to buy the HotSprings Prism but have a couple questions and difficult time getting in touch with dealer to talk via phone. We are looking at the new freshwater salt system. My question is, if we don’t end up liking it, can we not use the salt system and will we have the ozone system still to use instead? Or do you have to choose when ordering between ozone and Salt? Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

Hotsprings Prism, saltwater question
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hotsprings Prism, saltwater question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:33:47 pm »
You would pick one or the other when purchasing. You could add the other one on easily enough if you find you don’t like the salt system or ozone system. I have the freshwater salt system on my tub

kajtek1

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:05:27 am »
Don't they offer both?
For my swimming pool I have chlorine generator (salt water) and ozone generator in single unit.
I know people who did not like salt water pools as you can taste some salt, but in hot tub people don't put their heads under water, so you are going to like it.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:47:37 pm »
Freshwater salt and ozone are not compatible. Neither come standard on the tub anymore. The dealer would install at time of delivery or at shop before it went out for delivery

kies1

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:34:25 pm »
Love the ozone on our flash

Ralith

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 02:55:16 pm »
Freshwater salt and ozone are not compatible. Neither come standard on the tub anymore. The dealer would install at time of delivery or at shop before it went out for delivery

We just looked at a Prism from our local HS dealer a week ago, from what he told me ozone was stand on all Limelight/Highlife tubs and never mentioned any issues with ACE saltwater or freshwater salt systems. Ozone is only secondary and you always need primary sanitation.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 03:23:44 pm »

We just looked at a Prism from our local HS dealer a week ago, from what he told me ozone was stand on all Limelight/Highlife tubs and never mentioned any issues with ACE saltwater or freshwater salt systems. Ozone is only secondary and you always need primary sanitation.

Ace it’s fine with. Freshwater salt they don’t play well. You probably looked at a 2018 brochure?  Or the salesman hasn’t been trained on freshwater salt yet. I own one and also sell them and they aren’t compatible and I’m 100% sure of this

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 03:27:22 pm »
Go on the hot spring website. Ozone is not listed as standard or even a option on highlife or limelight. It’s listed as a option on the hot spots only. If you aren’t going salt you can put a ozone system on it

d00nut

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 05:51:44 pm »
ozone oxidizes the chlorine residual.  Similar to how we use to sell it with ACE.  So if you ozone on your tub, you won't find the chlorine residual, which is why the manufacturer recommends against it.  You can technically put both on if you want, and it would sanitize just the same, but you won't find chlorine ever on your test strip.

I have both on my hot tub, but I don't care about test strips ;)  My output is 2-3 all the time, despite having a big tub.

You'd just have to pay for both upfront, because as Hottubguy says, neither come standard anymore.

Ralith

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 08:10:23 pm »

Ace it’s fine with. Freshwater salt they don’t play well. You probably looked at a 2018 brochure?  Or the salesman hasn’t been trained on freshwater salt yet. I own one and also sell them and they aren’t compatible and I’m 100% sure of this

Interesting... so what is the difference between the ace and the fresh water salt? Because I specifically asked and they said it was pretty much identical chemicals but different delivery system? So why would ozone work with one but not the other? Thanks for the help! I'm glad to learn more and more.

kajtek1

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 01:00:27 am »
Is ozone killing chlorine last months finding?
I check the generator I am using for my swimming pool and they still sell it at https://www.intexcorp.com/products/above-ground-pools/krystal-clear-filtration-sanitation/combination-systems/krystal-clear-ozone-saltwater-system-cg-28665-110-120v-with-gfci/
I would be tempted to use 2nd the same for my hot tub.

castletonia

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 09:12:41 am »
Ozone has always killed chlorine.

kajtek1

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 11:33:20 am »
Ozone has always killed chlorine.

Yet they've been used together for more than 20 years.
So let me rephrase the question.
When it become a problem?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 11:42:44 am »
The reason I stated was it was fine with ace and not freshwater because I know of dealers and users (like Doonut) that used both with the ace system. I’m pretty sure hot springs didn’t recommend it but not sure on that. I’m a Caldera dealer and when I specifically asked the engineer about using the 2 he said not too. It will oxidize the chlorine. The idea behind the freshwater system is to keep a low level of chlorine in the tub. A ozonator would oxidize that small amount.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:54 pm »
The reason I stated was it was fine with ace and not freshwater because I know of dealers and users (like Doonut) that used both with the ace system. I’m pretty sure hot springs didn’t recommend it but not sure on that. I’m a Caldera dealer and when I specifically asked the engineer about using the 2 he said not too. It will oxidize the chlorine. The idea behind the freshwater system is to keep a low level of chlorine in the tub. A ozonator would oxidize that small amount.

If the system is trying to maintain a chlorine level while the ozone is in turn depleting that chlorine won't the system then continue to create chlorine which the ozonator continues to deplete...

Seems to me this creates an endless loop therefore causing premature burnout of the cell? Am I missing something?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42