What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Searching for a new tub  (Read 4086 times)

Enf0rc3r570

Searching for a new tub
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:28:41 pm »
Hi all. I've posted on other forums and I've noticed some of the same people posted to this forum. No disrespect to their opinions, I'm just looking for more.

Hello everyone. I'll start out by explaining what I have. I have a 7 year old Strong Spa. It had 3-4.5bhp 56 frame Balboa pumps, a 1hp blower, 4.4kw heater, Balboa controls, and about 70 jets. The performance was ok, and I was happy with the spa. A few weeks ago, the shell cracked right in the lounge seat. I was able to repair the crack with a reinforced fiberglass patch and marine epoxy. Being freezing in Northeast PA, subsequently pipes burst and I was unable to repair that due to the extensive plumbing damage and the spray foam insulation. When I was digging around in the cabinet, I see the half assed foam supports etc. I decided to start a search for a new one.

What I want is something that's going to be constructed better. I see a lot of misinformation about tubs. I want one that's made so there's no supports under the seats, and powerful jets. The amount of jets I know is not as important as the plumbing. I'd like a minimum of 6 seats with no lounger, and my budget is preferably in the $7-9k area.

Hot Tub Forum

Searching for a new tub
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:28:41 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Searching for a new tub
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:24:23 am »
Hi all. I've posted on other forums and I've noticed some of the same people posted to this forum. No disrespect to their opinions, I'm just looking for more.

Hello everyone. I'll start out by explaining what I have. I have a 7 year old Strong Spa. It had 3-4.5bhp 56 frame Balboa pumps, a 1hp blower, 4.4kw heater, Balboa controls, and about 70 jets. The performance was ok, and I was happy with the spa. A few weeks ago, the shell cracked right in the lounge seat. I was able to repair the crack with a reinforced fiberglass patch and marine epoxy. Being freezing in Northeast PA, subsequently pipes burst and I was unable to repair that due to the extensive plumbing damage and the spray foam insulation. When I was digging around in the cabinet, I see the half assed foam supports etc. I decided to start a search for a new one.

What I want is something that's going to be constructed better. I see a lot of misinformation about tubs. I want one that's made so there's no supports under the seats, and powerful jets. The amount of jets I know is not as important as the plumbing. I'd like a minimum of 6 seats with no lounger, and my budget is preferably in the $7-9k area.

Arctic has a self supporting shell. But I'm not sure why that would matter? If you get a quality brand (Strong isn't) Shell support issues do not exist.
Retired

swilly1000

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 09:36:43 am »
Master spa.  Full foam insulation. Self supporting shell.  Strong jets, especially in the Twlight series.

Enf0rc3r570

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 12:02:37 pm »
The issue I'm seeing with Master is that the nearest dealer is about 2 hours from me, and they charge quite a fee if I needed service. I'm handy, so I can fix most issues myself, but that defeats the purpose of a warranty.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 02:16:24 pm »
What brands do you have in your area?

castletonia

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 03:29:13 pm »
Pretty sure I responded to you in the other forum :)  These are the brands I would be comfortable suggesting: Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis, Nordic and Sundance.  There certainly could be others, but based on industry reputations, that is my list.  Full disclosure, I sell Hot Spring, Caldera, and Marquis.  I also used to sell Nordic.

I would visit the websites of the manufacturer's I listed and use the dealer locator to see what is available to you.  Generally speaking, if you are more than an hour or so away from the dealer, they might not be able to service you in a timely manner. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 05:56:45 pm »
Master spa.  Full foam insulation. Self supporting shell.  Strong jets, especially in the Twlight series.

Master has blocks under the footwell.
Retired

swilly1000

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 07:08:32 am »

Not on mine.  Show me a pic of one.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 08:03:37 am »

Not on mine.  Show me a pic of one.

You can see under the footwell? No insulation there? Yikes!! Most brands have blocks under the footwell, buried in foam. this isn't exclusive to MS. The ones I've seen had them. Last MS I saw 2015 or so. Not sure where I'm going to get a picture.

Show me a picture of under your footwell.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:08:38 am by Tman122 »
Retired

Enf0rc3r570

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 04:20:15 pm »
I would hope of all places, the footwell would go to the base.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 09:26:20 pm »
I would hope of all places, the footwell would go to the base.

Some of the higher quality brands use a harder foam to support the weak areas of the shell, then top it all off with a lighter foam for insulation. And when I say top it off they are built upside down so literally top it off.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 09:26:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42