What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cover consolidation - other options for foam core?  (Read 2481 times)

mikeo13

cover consolidation - other options for foam core?
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »
Recently bought a house, and now have an older hot tub to take care of. 2001 hot springs vanguard to be specific.

Seller suggested the non-oem cover he bought online several years ago was ready to be replaced.

That time is now as the winter rains coupled with my shock technique killed it dead (I now know better to get a floater or let it breathe for 10-15min after powder shock).

I'd like to get a cover that lasts and quality is more important that cost (to a point). Mostly I'd like options so I can compare suppliers.

By searching this forum I came up with several suppliers but I've started to notice some patterns in measuring direction/images/materials that point to everything actually being made by Core Covers - who also supply Home Depot and Costco i.e. 6mil PE, 30oz vinyl, 20GA C-channel etc.

Here's a short list of alternatives I've found:
Sunstar - bought by Core
Arctic - shipping way too much
Hotsprings - OEM - could work, but I have an aftermarket lifter with differently-placed plates
Acculok - not sure of reliability, some posts here from several years ago

Do any of you know of other companies I can compare to the vast majority that seem to use Core Covers? Especially companies that would be willing to install custom-located metal plates for my existing lifter?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

cover consolidation - other options for foam core?
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: cover consolidation - other options for foam core?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:39:23 pm »
Commercial Fabrics in New York. I used to buy from Sunstar until they got bought by Core. They had a warehouse near me. Have been buying from Commercial Fabrics since. Robert’s Hot Tubs manufactures covers on the west coast could try them as well. The former owner posts on here from time to time (not sure if he is still involved in the company or not). They have gotten good reviews from other posters on here. Hope that helps a little. Good luck. If all things are equal such as price and quality you won’t get a better fitting cover then by purchasing through a Hot Spring dealer

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 12:07:25 pm »
Just buy the OEM Hot Springs cover imo...some of those aftermarket places don't really do a good job of installing the metal plates into a Hot Spring cover and most of them have a tail light warranty...if you buy OEM from the dealer at least if the thing does fail in the first 2 years you have re-course/warranty with a local Hot Springs dealer

mikeo13

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 04:08:55 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just got back from the Hotsprings dealer and made the choice to go OEM. The obvious clincher was realizing that my lifter is actually Hotsprings compatible after all - I think it’s an “upright lifter” - so when I saw the OEM would a drop-in, coupled with a pretty good price < $500 (delivery extra), plus quality I can feel, it was an easy choice. The dealer stated (but I haven’t confirmed) the foam is at least 2#, the slope is 4”x3”, and the warranty is 2yrs. He said it should last for 5yrs.

Other tidbits: he cautioned against a floater stating that it would linger at the intake port, distributing chemical above one spot, potentially chemically burning the seat.

In my searching over the last couple of days I think I found a few alternatives to Core Covers in the US. Just for comparison sake, here’s my list:

Ideal (ca)/ spacoversusa (might be the same)
Prestige / beyond nice (probably the same)
Nashville
Commercial fabrics
Cal spas
Arctic spas
Acculok

Thanks again for the suggestions, in four weeks, I’ll be hot tub happy again!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:30:56 pm »
OEM covers from Hot Spring are indeed 2 lb foam on anything I believe 7x7 or larger. The taper is 3.5” to 2.5” at least on the caldera side but I believe on all Watkins covers. 2 year warranty is correct. Have heard of prestige as well. Cal Spas nor Arctic make there own covers unless something changed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:30:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42