What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another is this a good price thread? Hot Spring Flare vs Bullfrog A6  (Read 3509 times)

David1520

We are in the market to replace our Sundance Optima. We have owned two Hot Spring’s Prior to the Sundance. We are looking at the Hot Spring Limelight Flare model and the Bullfrog A6L and will be wet testing them both later today. Both are 2019 models and we have bought our previous tubs from both dealers and think highly of each of them.

The Flare fits our patio best and orients with the best seating, views, and screening from neighbors.  We also really like the aesthetic of it. I’ve already been quoted a price of $10,700 + tax for the tub, cover with lifter, steps, Freshwater Salt system (we have a saltwater pool and love it) start up, delivery and install. This also includes the trade value/haul-a-way of our old tub.   We will be paying cash and I have not informed the dealer of that yet.

The Bullfrog does not line up as well with our patio and I may need to get rid of the lounger option and go with an A6 instead to make it fit properly. Still yet to get pricing on the Bullfrog but expect will do so after our wet test, assuming we like it.

I might also add that neither my wife, nor I, are fans of strong jets (her more so than me) and tend to soak after only a few minutes of hydrotherapy.

My immediate question is if the quoted price on the Flare is good? It’s still seems high to me.  Also, can I expect a further discount for cash?

We’ll make a final decision for after wet test and out-the-door pricing but thought I would ask opinions on these two tubs and the pricing I have thus far. TIA.

Hot Tub Forum

castletonia

Re: Another is this a good price thread? Hot Spring Flare vs Bullfrog A6
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 03:45:01 pm »
Cash will always get you the best price.  While I can’t speak for other dealers, you can probably get closer to $10k with cash.

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:53:16 pm »
Ditto what Castletonia said.

The new salt system is really awesome, I'm digging it. 

You can always expect to pay less if you are a cash buyer.  Just sit in the lounger of the Flair before moving forward with it (my personal recommendation.)  The Flash is an open seater twin of the Flair, but I love that spa.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that it would be my spa of choice if I were an actual hot tub customer.

David1520

Update: Our Bullfrog wet test got postponed but we did have opportunity to wet test the HS Flair w/salt and added in wet test of a Marquis Vector 21.  We were disappointed in both compared to our current 11 year old Sundance Optima.  Some observations:

1) I do not think I like a lounger.  My wife definitely does not like a lounger.  This is fine as all the tubs we are considering have lounger and non-lounger options in similar models.  It does speak to the comment d00nut made above and re-enforces the need to aways wet test before you buy if at all possible.

2) Both tubs had some form of tactile therapy on the flooring of the foot well.  Hated the river rock on the Marquis. The ripple pattern on the Hot Spring was not as bad but nothing we prefer.

3) Both tubs had a smooth finish acrylic shell.  All our past tubs have had a pebble textured shell.  While we like the look of the smooth shells, we find we like the textured finish better.

4) The power in the jets on high overwhelmed us.  We like gentler jets. On two-speed pumps we preferred the lower speed.  Only one of the two pumps on the Flair had two speeds and unfortunately the seat that would become my wife's was not controlled by the two-speed pump.  Much of this can be worked out with diverter valves, air mixers and manually turning off jets but just seemed a hassle.

5) While we are "wowed" by the exterior aesthetic, fancy lights, waterfalls and fountains, modern day jets, water quality systems and pump action on the newer tubs, once you get into the tub all that goes away and it is about the actual "feel" while soaking in the water.  We both like the "feel" of our older Sundance better and certainly did not experience anything that would incent us to drop $10-$12k on a new tub, at least with these two tested brands/models.

Many of these observations could just be a response to feeling something new vs. what we are used to and/or comfortable with.

All that said, I am moving ahead with a wet test of this Bullfrog later today and going to add D1 into the mix before nixing the idea of a new tub all together.  If those end with the same less than stellar results then time to look into throwing some money at the Optima to refurb a few things gone wrong.

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:41:11 pm »
Couple things. 

Textured shells are not "in" anymore and haven't been for awhile.  Hot Spring still offers the Desert shell which does provide you the texture you like and Marquis has Sierra and Cameo (Signature Only). 

Your Optima is a 880 series Sundance (their high end).  The models you tried are the middle tier from both Hot Spring and Marquis.  If you want a better comparison, you should be looking at either the Vanguard or Grandee from Hot Spring and the Euphoria or Promise from Marquis. 

I've never heard anyone comment on gentler jets and Sundance in the same sentence.  You're going to want the adjustability to fine tune your experience.  If having the air controls open/closed or having to re-position diverter valves is a hassle, I don't know what to tell you because you're going to have that to an extent with any hot tub. 

D1 makes a good hot tub.  You're spending a large amount of money, do your due diligence and check out your available local options. 

Wet testing is important.  Generally speaking I prefer non-lounge models.  However, my favorite tub I've ever sat in is the Hot Spring Aria and it has a lounger. 

Depending on what your Optima needs, maybe fixing it is your best option or looking at a new Optima. 

However, if it is in the budget, I would seriously look into the higher end Hot Spring's and Marquis as they are more comparable to your current offering and the Bullfrog you are looking at is their high end series as well.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:41:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42