What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Picking up a Hot Spring sx tomorrow  (Read 2616 times)

Whitepine459

Picking up a Hot Spring sx tomorrow
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:52:02 am »
Hello all,

Great info here, I'm looking forward to finally becoming a spa owner as of tomorrow (Thursday)...

Found a 5 y.o. Hot Spring SX for a good price. Owner says it works great, no issues ever, they've loved it, they're moving and want to upgrade at their new place.

I have seen the SX at the dealer and it's perfect size for me and my wife and a very occasional guest or two.

I've read on here that they're well-liked, and last a long time, so many thanks for all the info here.

My main question is about startup. I'm a total newbie when it comes to pool/spa chemistry. I've learned what I can about the important parameters, pH, calcium hardness, alkalinity, and sanitizer levels, but don't yet have any products or strategy (previous owner says he has chlorine (edit: bromine, and I didn't get any) pucks I can have). I'm wondering if there are any tips or tricks when filling up for the first time.

Our water: we are on a well. We have a water softener and can bypass it. Our unsoftened well water is on the hard side, but not too bad, no scale or staining ever formed before getting the softener. It is also clear and drinkable.

I have read that some folks try 50-50 soft/unsoft and some suggest no more than 25% soft. Right now I'm thinking I would try 75% unsoftened and then 25% from our hot water supply, which is softened.

I see there are pre-filters for use while filling the tub, would this be a good idea?

Is there any crucial step I should be aware of?

I look forward to dialling in my spa experience, thanks very much for any help in advance :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:15:49 pm by Whitepine459 »

Hot Tub Forum

Picking up a Hot Spring sx tomorrow
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:52:02 am »

d00nut

Re: Picking up a Hot Spring sx tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:48:57 am »
Don't use chlorine pucks.  Those are Trichlor, and would be a great way to destroy your hot tub fast.

Honestly, the best use of watercare for that little tub is a nature 2, silver nitrate stick.  Add dichlor (2-3 tsp) once a week, and MPS everytime you use it.  Check ph and Alk once a week and add a scale inhibitor.  Takes about 2-3 minutes a week.

There is also the @Ease system, which in a sense is kind of the same thing as above, you just pay for the convenience a bit.

Fill it through the filter compartment.  You want at least a little bit of Hardness in your water, but using soft water is totally fine, I've been keeping mine (granted I use the salt system) at 25-50ppm for years.

Best of luck, and enjoy your new hot tub!

Whitepine459

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 05:02:15 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I’ll look into “nature 2” and @ease.

And re the pucks, now that you say don’t use chlorine pucks, I have to admit I don’t think he said what kind of pucks he has, he just said pucks. My father in law who has a pool said most hot tubs use bromine, since chlorine isn’t so great in heated water. Sounds like he may be right.

Thanks again and wish me luck today with the move, which may involve a forklift and a tractor...

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:49:16 am »
If it is a 5 year old tub and you don’t know the history I would fill it first and then add a purge product run it as directed and then drain clean and refill. Decide if you want to run bromine or not is the first question. I ran bromine for a year and switched to chlorine as I found bromine hard to control. Others seem to have no issues with it.

As mentioned do not use pool tablets that are chlorine / triclor.

Whitepine459

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:56 pm »
Hey thanks, and sorry for asking but what is a “purge product”?

Thanks

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 08:37:02 am »
Hey thanks, and sorry for asking but what is a “purge product”?

Thanks

Something like this. This one has been talked about quite a bit.
https://www.amazon.com/Ahh-Some-Jetted-Bath-Plumbing-Cleaner/dp/B0030MYGXW

bachman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 05:19:21 am »
+ +

On the purge (tub cleaner for internals).

I've seen Swirl Away and others too- Look up jetted tub cleaners. We got a pre owned tub and I didn't know about such a thing but would have done so.
The tub can look and be squeaky clean outside and on the visible surfaces. The previous owners can be immaculate people of great hygiene but water in those pumps and lines over time will collect "stuff" and getting it out first and/or in some cases a deep clean every fill/change is well worth it.
I'll do mine soon when it gets it's first drain and refill. Best of luck with your set up !!

Whitepine459

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 12:14:20 pm »
Awesome, all comments very much appreciated!

Well here's the update. We successfully acquired and placed the spa in place on the deck! (Its temporary home--we plan on pouring a pad just off the deck in a couple of months when the ground thaws and putting the tub there and wiring it for 220.)

So far it's working great. I did pick up a nature2 ion stick and new filter. Fingers crossed but chemistry has been fine so far. Took a sample in to the local shop. We are undergoing a multi-day program to lower alkalinity, but all other levels are good.

Question: When I asked for MPS to follow the above-suggested program, they gave me a product called "Amaze Plus" by Dazzle. Looking it up it looks like it is roughly 50% MPS (Pentapotassium bis(peroxymonosulfate) bis(sulphate)) and 50% dichlor (Sodium dichloro-S-triazinetrione). There is also 1-2% dipotassium peroxodisulphate. (Per MSDS here http://hollandiagardens.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Amaze-Plus.pdf)

Can I use that daily after each soak, as MPS? Or not so much since it has dichlor in it? It is sold as a "weekly" shock/oxidizer. Should I find some pure MPS?

My chlorine is currently at 3ppm, which is plenty strong, from what I gather, in tandem with the nature2.

I like the sound of using MPS only if it is a "gentler" way of sanitizing than the dichlor. Is it?

Thanks again for any thoughts on this. Loving it so far!!

(Oh and I will definitely use a purge product when we drain and move it in a month or two--great suggestion.)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:17:56 pm by Whitepine459 »

Sam

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 02:10:36 pm »
The best purge product I have ever used is Ahh-some.  I've heard the spa guard system flush is good as well.  Swirl away was pretty worthless in my opinion.

You can definitely use that product after each soak even though it has dichlor it.  Honestly, I'm not convinced that mps and nature 2 alone are sufficient without supplemental dichlor anyway.  I wouldn't call mps gentler than dichlor per say.  Though it doesn't smell like chlorine, it's still a harsh oxidizer.  Low levels of dichlor are unnoticeable.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 02:10:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42