What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Switching hot tub chemicals  (Read 2127 times)

SnowHot

Switching hot tub chemicals
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:41:03 am »
I have been using bromine in my hot tub since we purchased in in 2012, however a friend who stays with us frequently has an allergic reaction whenever she uses it.

Someone suggested that I switch to chlorine and use a sliver ion stick in my filter.

• What does it take to make the switch?
    Do I need to drain the tub to make the switch?
    How effective is this?

Considerations on my end:
  • I changed my water a month ago, and the chemistry is in really good shape at the moment. (other than it makes my friend itch and a little rashy)
    I live in the Sierra so its not easy to change water in the dead of winter.

I'm really ignorant on this and am open to any or all suggestions.

Hot Tub Forum

Switching hot tub chemicals
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:41:03 am »

Michael Russell

Re: Switching hot tub chemicals
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:06:46 pm »
Not an expert.........

My Understanding when switching from Bromine to Chlorine is that you want to do a fairly thorough water change. All water has to be removed with an effort to further vacuum out the lines to remove all the water. Your good to go after that with a new fill with Chlorine..

Running the Ion stick should allow you to run a lower chlorine in the tub.

There is some great info around on a bleach method. You run with Diclor and bleach. You use Diclor until you get to CYA levels up then switch to bleach. Link here: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:GK2-LwlyAbUJ:https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php%3F/topic/23090-dichlorbleach-method-in-a-nutshell/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca I have linked to the google cached version as the website seems to be down right now.

Good Luck

Mike

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Switching hot tub chemicals
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:06:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42