What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First day wet testing- looking for stronger pressure spas  (Read 3629 times)

Oregonhottubguy

First day wet testing- looking for stronger pressure spas
« on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:36 am »
I've been wanting or a nice hot tub for a while after enjoying a crappy inflatable Intex hot tub for about a year before it crapped out on me. Only $300 but now I know ill use it frequently and that it helps with my pain. So I recently started researching different brands of actual real hot tubs and different brands and their offerings.

The only brands ive tried in a wet test so far are coast and artisan. I've viewed a bullfrog at Costco but no wet test was available. The switchable jetpacks are a nice feature though.

My main goal is to find the brand that has the most powerful jets/pumps. I've got a condition that causes the muscles in my back around my spine to degenerate if they aren't vigoursly stimulated with deep tissue muscle manipulation frequently. I need a spa that can put out serious pressure across my whole back.

The coast I tried today really blew my mind as far as power goes and did exactly what I wanted and had plenty of pressure with the 7hp pumps, and had this one huge jet in the middle on the floor that made s little geyser of water with the best pressure ive ever felt on a hot tub. However, ive read negative things about their willingness to honor the warranty, so that is a big red flag to me.

The other spa that I tried today was made by artisan, had some cool features like neck massage and shoulder massage but lacked power to do what I needed as far as getting deep in my back muscles, it was equipped with smaller 4 or 5hp pumps. The difference was very noticeable.

The dealer did mention it was possible for them to swap out larger pumps and but only up to 6hp. Sounds promising but still unsure if it would feel powerful as the coast. I tried the island series but may ask to try the platinum series which has dedicated pumps for each chair.

I was also interested in a marquis spa since I live in Oregon and they are made here. However when I called into the store to inquire about a wet test the salesman basically told me no and was very condescending, talked down to me telling me that's not how it works and that any hot tub will feel nice then tried to BS me about his selling process and "how it works" and then I decided even if marquis spas are the best in the world I don't want to purchase a spa from a company that talks to potential customers that way.

The other store I visited for the coast dry test I gave them 24+ hours notice and unfortunately the tub was only 92 degrees when I arrived. Went saw a movie it was still only 96. Got in and tried it anyway since I drove out 45 minutes to get there on my only day off. So my experience shopping for a spa so far slightly disappointed. The artisan dealer was very nice and accommodating.

But I digress, what I'm looking for from the forum members here are tips or recommendations on finding a powerful unit that can provide reliability and most importantly immense robust pressure, only other requirements being nice lounge seat and some standard seats. I appreciate features for modern filtration, I don't care for speakers as I don't plan to listen to music in there but a trustworthy brand with an honorable reputation is also a must. I've heard good things about caldera but haven't located a nearby dealer yet.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:00:28 am by Oregonhottubguy »

Hot Tub Forum

First day wet testing- looking for stronger pressure spas
« on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:36 am »

bradleyabell

Re: First day wet testing- looking for stronger pressure spas
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:47:00 am »
Definitely go somewhere you can wet test a bullfrog and try out a bunch of the jetpacks...You will love it I bet!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:53:25 am »
Do not use HP as a rule for jet pressure.

Marquis has the best jet pressure of any tub IMO. D1 comes in a close second.
Retired

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 08:07:24 am »
We have a Caldera Geneva and ours is several years old. We bought it as we felt it was first a therapeutic tub and second a social tub. it has 3 of the 6 seats that have good jet force and ours has the one big jet on the floor you described. The new Geneva model I believe has two of them. You are correct with it on the floor it is possible to move around and have that jet work anywhere on the body. Neck jets that are above the water line just don’t work all that well IMO.

What we found is most of the major brands make tubs to suit all price points and the lower cost tubs are normally more social. Some brands seem to go after the therapeutic market more than others. Sitting in a therapeutic dry is pretty uncomfortable and it seems like the seats are angled wrong. That is because with the pumps on they help hold you in and your body is away from the jets a few inches. It is very important to wet test for that reason. Buying a social tub without wet testing you could get away with it maybe.   

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:37:30 pm »
How long do you plan on sitting in the hot tub?  I'm not gonna tell you a lot of pressure is bad, because your needs may vary from the next person but, if there is too much pressure and you can only sit in the seat for a minute or so, does that really help?  I personally would rather have adequate power that feels good and I can sit in front of for 15-30 minutes than having to turn it off or move within a minute.

Michael Russell

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 08:30:16 pm »
I recently (last fall) wet test Marquis, Master and Artesian...

The Master TS 825 in my mind had the best overall pressure from all jets. The big feet blaster jets I found ok.

The Marquis Epic had good overall pressure, but the Hot Zone big jets are monsters and are great for massaging those sore knotted muscles.

The Artisian Grand Cayman was ok overall but our least favorite....

Now that I have owned one for 5 months or so (we bought the Marquis Epic) I would have to agree with Castle. We actual soak way more then I thought and don't turn the jets on that much. I usually kick them on for the first 5 minutes to get the water moving and get a quick massage. We turn them off while the family is there so its quite and we can chat, relax and watch the stars. I often then turn them on again and use the big jets to massage back, shoulders, legs...

In the end I am sure I would have been happy with all three.. I do like the Epic though and our dealer has been great to us.

Mike

swilly1000

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 01:53:28 am »
Like yourself, jet performance was top on my want list when I started looking.  Four months in, it's still number one.  But I agree with MR and Castle.  There's a lot of enjoyment that comes with chill quiet soaking time.

That said, having the jet performance is uber sweet:

Don't blow off the Marquis based on one bad sales guy.  Their jets are primo and worth a look.

I love my Master Twilight Series 8.25.  It's da bomb for jet performance.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:11:06 am by swilly1000 »

bachman

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 04:58:29 am »
I'll second or third Marquis as a consideration if all the other boxes you search for are in line with some of their models.
The 2004 or 05 model we have (Reward) is 100% original aside from a newer heater unit but the pumps have some kick to them and many comment on the surge since I usually demonstrate the tub when we first get in as 'off' or soak, then pump 1 and follow up with the dual pumps.

As others mention, the hot or warm soak is really invigorating as it's own type of "therapy" but if you are thinking the power of some tubs or brands isn't impressing you in the higher pump mode, DO get that figured out so your are happy with an investment as such.
*Smart plan on that inflatable tub, you got your money's worth just proving to yourself you will use a tub and deserve a better one !  Good luck.   8)

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:08 pm »
If jetting & hydrotherapy are your #1 priorities I would plan on wet testing at least 3 different premium brands, anything from the top collections of Marquis, Bullfrog, Caldera should all be sufficient if diverters are placed in correct position...Good Luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42