What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Let’s Talk Dimension One (D1)  (Read 28192 times)

aug0211

Re: Let’s Talk Dimension One (D1)
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 07:54:34 pm »
Thank you, that is helpful. Makes me wonder if I should push back/ask for more time... a week or so would be helpful as we need to get the HOA signature on the packet still.

I spoke with D1 tonight, called their customer service number. They said no changes for 2019. Regarding depths of the recliner seats, they said:
Amore: 30” (his), 23” (hers)
Sarena: 28” (his), 27” (hers)

Feeling pretty torn.

Sarena has more therapy seat options, and I do think I would like the extra sequencer in the “his” seat, as I start to get itchy pretty fast from jets in one place.

Amore has better foot jets and wrist jets, plus true “his and her” seats.

Amore just seems so limited in that there is ONE seat in the tub for me, and ONE seat for the wife... the others seem like standard hotel hot tub bench seats - compared to the Sarena which has two more “therapy” seats, one of this is really, really enticing.

Doing some thinking out loud here - thanks for bearing with me! Feel free to chime in and keep me honest or point out whatever I might be missing, too!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 07:54:34 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2019, 11:04:31 pm »
If you are not ready, tell the dealer that and tell him if that means that big of a $ increase (for no apparent reason) then it doesn't sound like its a good fit. If they come back and say its about filling the truck on an upcoming order I'd counter (/call their bluff) that I'm willing to wait for the next full truck at the current quoted price. Being held hostage like that isn't appetizing and you need to let them know they aren't the only one holding the hammer, dealers don't like to see the back side of a pending sale say "no thanks" as they walk out the door AND customers want to feel good about their post sale service and a dealer playing this game doesn't render a good feeling for how post sales service will go!

As far as what you like/don't like in a spa, its SUCH a personal thing. To be honest I think D1 is a very good brand but I don't like either of those models (look yes, set up no) because very much prefer a more open spa? What should that mean to you, absolutely nothing! Other than solid info about a model or discussions related to quality, don't put too much stock in what others prefer. Even pricing is relative unless its the same model from someone buying in the same general area.

You've done your due diligence, go with your gut at this point (assuming you get that dealer showdown fiasco in order)!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

aug0211

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 10:13:03 am »
If you are not ready, tell the dealer that and tell him if that means that big of a $ increase (for no apparent reason) then it doesn't sound like its a good fit. If they come back and say its about filling the truck on an upcoming order I'd counter (/call their bluff) that I'm willing to wait for the next full truck at the current quoted price. Being held hostage like that isn't appetizing and you need to let them know they aren't the only one holding the hammer, dealers don't like to see the back side of a pending sale say "no thanks" as they walk out the door AND customers want to feel good about their post sale service and a dealer playing this game doesn't render a good feeling for how post sales service will go!

As far as what you like/don't like in a spa, its SUCH a personal thing. To be honest I think D1 is a very good brand but I don't like either of those models (look yes, set up no) because very much prefer a more open spa? What should that mean to you, absolutely nothing! Other than solid info about a model or discussions related to quality, don't put too much stock in what others prefer. Even pricing is relative unless its the same model from someone buying in the same general area.

You've done your due diligence, go with your gut at this point (assuming you get that dealer showdown fiasco in order)!

Thank you! You've given solid advice along the way to me in various topics/messages. I appreciate it.

We really liked the open feel of the Grandee and Kingston when we sat in those, BUT we noticed that the seats felt "vanilla" to us - especially me. I wanted something that really hugs me and makes me feel like the seat was sculpted just for me. That is a big draw for us with the Bays. From the reading I've done, I think we are somewhat unique in that sense, where others tend to prefer the open/high mobility options.

The beauty of the Amore and Sarena for us are that we get the sculpted seat options (especially in the Sarena), while also keeping the big open 2-4 person bench seating option - not just for efficient seating and open feel, but also for therapy purposes for our daughter (cerebral palsy).

We are thinking we will pay to add the exterior lighting, and also pay to add the speakers. The speakers are a tough one - we've read a lot about people NOT recommending these. We do have patio speakers (two smaller HEOS 1 speakers), but I really enjoy listening to audio books to relax, and I'm concerned that I will not be able to understand an audiobook coming from the patio speakers. We do listen to some slower music (Jazz, Frank Sinatra, Norah Jones type of stuff) when sitting around the firepit as well, so perhaps we'll do the same in the tub. The price on this set up seems ridiculous, but I also don't like "rigging" things together, so perhaps the premium will be worth it - and I do not want to regret not adding it later on.

The wifi seems like an added cost that will never be used - I was originally big on mobile app access, but it seems like the use cases for that are pretty minimal. Fair assumption?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:17:37 am by aug0211 »

swilly1000

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 04:09:30 pm »
We are thinking we will pay to add the exterior lighting, and also pay to add the speakers. The speakers are a tough one - we've read a lot about people NOT recommending these. We do have patio speakers (two smaller HEOS 1 speakers), but I really enjoy listening to audio books to relax, and I'm concerned that I will not be able to understand an audiobook coming from the patio speakers. We do listen to some slower music (Jazz, Frank Sinatra, Norah Jones type of stuff) when sitting around the firepit as well, so perhaps we'll do the same in the tub. The price on this set up seems ridiculous, but I also don't like "rigging" things together, so perhaps the premium will be worth it - and I do not want to regret not adding it later on.

The wifi seems like an added cost that will never be used - I was originally big on mobile app access, but it seems like the use cases for that are pretty minimal. Fair assumption?

The onboard sound system is a total waste of money.  It will not be near as good sound as something that costs half as much and it will break on you.  Even a little boombox that plugs in near the tub will be better.  Seriously, save your cash on that one.

I bargained the wi-fi app into the dealer quote on my tub and I don't use it as much as I thought I would.  But because I got it thrown in as an option rather than paying the extra ($400) I feel that it was worth while.  I do like knowing remotely that the tub is up to temperature.  I live in Toronto and we get some pretty cold days.  When I head out of town it's comforting to be able to check on the temperature of the tub.

Sam

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 03:43:33 pm »

The onboard sound system is a total waste of money.  It will not be near as good sound as something that costs half as much and it will break on you.  Even a little boombox that plugs in near the tub will be better.  Seriously, save your cash on that one.

Listen to swilly on this one.  Stereos are a bad idea in any hot tub.  They are way overpriced for what you get and it's not a matter of if, but when and how often it will fail.  They just do not last in a hot tub environment, no matter who makes it.  Then when it breaks, you are beholden to the manufacturer's ridiculous pricing and the high cost of a hot tub service technician to fix or replace.  A floating bluetooth speaker for 1/5th the price will sound better, last longer, and be easier to repair or replace. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2019, 07:14:31 pm »

Listen to swilly on this one.  Stereos are a bad idea in any hot tub.  They are way overpriced for what you get and it's not a matter of if, but when and how often it will fail.  They just do not last in a hot tub environment, no matter who makes it.  Then when it breaks, you are beholden to the manufacturer's ridiculous pricing and the high cost of a hot tub service technician to fix or replace.  A floating bluetooth speaker for 1/5th the price will sound better, last longer, and be easier to repair or replace.

Another vote for no stereo. I have owned a few different tubs and always gotten them with music. My last tub was a Marquis Resort with music. Stereo stopped working in about a year and a half. I just moved and got a Caldera Geneva. I got music on it but jusfging by my last couple of tubs if it lasts a year or two I will be happy

swilly1000

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 09:25:15 am »
Plus which an (inevitable) broken piece on the tub will taint your overall satisfaction with the product!!

aug0211

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2019, 09:33:12 pm »
Thank you all for the help - after reading these last few posts, we are going to take off the audio. The kicker for us was reading that they ALL fail - and then thinking about how frustrated we would be with a spa of this magnitude of cost that is not working 100% (yes, that would drive me nuts!!!).

Thanks for the feedback! Placing the order tomorrow.

aug0211

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2019, 04:06:24 pm »
Well, we're official - order placed this AM.

Sarena Bay
   Ultralife (white) shell
   Vintage cedar cabinet
   Black Ultralast cover
   EZlifter
   Startup chemicals
   "Premium" steps (I assume they're just the standard steps)

Delivery anticipated in 4-6 weeks. Getting quotes on the concrete pad now, and figuring out the electrical.

I'm assuming I'll need to add a 220v/50a dedicated breaker and run the line from the main panel to a sub-panel with the sub-panel probably mounted on the exterior for code purposes (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Does the spa come with its own sub-panel?

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2019, 04:52:38 pm »

Sarena Bay
   Ultralife (white) shell
   Vintage cedar cabinet
   Black Ultralast cover
   EZlifter
   Startup chemicals

Delivery anticipated in 4-6 weeks. Getting quotes on the concrete pad now, and figuring out the electrical.

I'm assuming I'll need to add a 220v/50a dedicated breaker and run the line from the main panel to a sub-panel with the sub-panel probably mounted on the exterior for code purposes (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

White w/ Cedar sounds like a sexy color combo, I love the 'clean look' the white shell provides so I sell a lot of that color personally speaking.  Typically the spa will not come with the 50 Amp GFI Panel, your electrician can provide one at a rough cost of $79-$99 give or take and yes the electrician will run a dedicated 220 volt line directly to the spa via the GFI disconnect panel.....a typical spa will require a 4-Wire service (2 Hot Wires in 6 gauge, 1 Neutral wire in 6 gauge, and 1 ground wire in 8 gauge, all wire should be 'jacketed') Good Luck!

edit: Yes, breaker panel will be installed 'near' the spa, code requires a Minimum of 5' clearance from the Hot Tub and typically a maximum of 50' and the box should be installed 'in line of sight' so that if there is ever an issue the box can be located quickly and the breaker can be shut off (ie don't hide your panel underneath a deck where nobody can find it)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:54:34 pm by BullFrogSpasMN »

aug0211

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2019, 11:04:30 pm »

Sarena Bay
   Ultralife (white) shell
   Vintage cedar cabinet
   Black Ultralast cover
   EZlifter
   Startup chemicals

White w/ Cedar sounds like a sexy color combo, I love the 'clean look' the white shell provides so I sell a lot of that color personally speaking.  Typically the spa will not come with the 50 Amp GFI Panel, your electrician can provide one at a rough cost of $79-$99 give or take and yes the electrician will run a dedicated 220 volt line directly to the spa via the GFI disconnect panel.....a typical spa will require a 4-Wire service (2 Hot Wires in 6 gauge, 1 Neutral wire in 6 gauge, and 1 ground wire in 8 gauge, all wire should be 'jacketed') Good Luck!

edit: Yes, breaker panel will be installed 'near' the spa, code requires a Minimum of 5' clearance from the Hot Tub and typically a maximum of 50' and the box should be installed 'in line of sight' so that if there is ever an issue the box can be located quickly and the breaker can be shut off (ie don't hide your panel underneath a deck where nobody can find it)

Very helpful info - thank you!

In terms of burying the wires - is it typical to have them in place before concrete is poured so they are in the concrete as it is formed? Or are most people just coming up from the ground right before the pad and then securing the conduit to the pad with brackets and cement screws?

Lastly - where does the conduit feed in on the Sarena Bay for the wiring? From the diagram, it looks like it is on the left side of the tub (when looking at the topside controls), where the left side meets the front?

swilly1000

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2019, 11:16:02 pm »
Run the wire up through the pad for a totally stealth install. If you do it this way, you have to measure, measure again, and measure yet again.  If you come out of the pad at the wrong spot you will be p***ed.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN-IZ369041TxhaD_X3ZKVEyGix7bJDCmBKpggL

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPcirVWPnraoRabRSOjz6GLp3h6d1cRi5viIqFU

I had to tell my electrician that it was off by 7" and he made it right but it was on me to ensure that the wire came up in the right spot.  We nailed it in the end, but not without some serious intervention.  There are plenty of not so fun outcomes in this regard.  Google it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:21:58 pm by swilly1000 »

aug0211

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2019, 08:42:44 am »
Run the wire up through the pad for a totally stealth install. If you do it this way, you have to measure, measure again, and measure yet again.  If you come out of the pad at the wrong spot you will be p***ed.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN-IZ369041TxhaD_X3ZKVEyGix7bJDCmBKpggL

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPcirVWPnraoRabRSOjz6GLp3h6d1cRi5viIqFU

I had to tell my electrician that it was off by 7" and he made it right but it was on me to ensure that the wire came up in the right spot.  We nailed it in the end, but not without some serious intervention.  There are plenty of not so fun outcomes in this regard.  Google it.

Sounds like this is the ideal route, but also carries some risk (if you get it wrong).

The photos you linked returned 404 errors - any chance you can link again? Trying to determine if it will look nice enough to warrant the risk of me messing up the measurement :)

swilly1000

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2019, 09:47:06 pm »
I can link and see the photos.

Anyone else?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2019, 07:23:21 am »
I can link and see the photos.

Anyone else?

Only working for you. But no one else.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2019, 07:23:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42