What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New member searching for a hot tub and advice in the Bay Area (CA)  (Read 7183 times)

norcalhottub

Hello all, new to the forum and searching for the right tub for the family.  Located in Northern CA, the main primary dealer we have here seems to be The Hot Tub Wherehouse in Santa Clara, CA:  https://hottubwherehouse.com/  According to Yelp, they are pretty good. 

Being only in the initial stages of shopping, I've only went into the shop once and briefly spoke to the owner.  They carry Both Caldera and CalSpa brands.  Having a family of a 4 (2 small children, 8 and 6), I believe a 4-6 person tub is sufficient.  I do have a budget of ~6k in which I was eyeing the CalSpas Patio Series, Pacifica PPZ-732L which they had listed at $5595 delivered/installed (tax additional).

Being the primary dealer within the vicinity, I have not looked elsewhere, though I do like this model.  Some questions:

Are there any alternative sources I can utilize to be more diligent in shopping?
Is there room for negotiation in price?  In other words, are spa dealers like car dealers?

I'm sure more questions will arise but I think this is all for now, I have read through the basics and understand the importance of wet testing, but locating the right model is the first objective. 

Hot Tub Forum

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: New member searching for a hot tub and advice in the Bay Area (CA)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:09:42 am »
Welcome to the forum.

In most places, spa dealers are like car dealers and their may be room for negotiation.  This maybe a special deal that is as low as they go, but its hard to tell.  Your in charge, your buying a luxury item that you can probably find similar models around. Don't be in a hurry, visit multiple times, mention what you saw in a competitors shop and see what happens.   
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:41:27 am »
Your dealer sets their own pricing, so long as its less than MSRP.  The dealer you buy from is also the only one obligated to work on the spa while under warranty.  Your not going to find many here that consider Cal Spa a quality, reputable company, so if you go with them, make sure your dealer is top notch.

Caldera, in my opinion, is a much better brand and product.  You will pay more, but this is an industry where you get what you pay for.  Look into the Caldera Marino/Vanto.  If that budget is firm, also look for a Nordic dealer.  Much more basic product, but they are quality and the company is top notch.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:27:50 am »
Your dealer sets their own pricing, so long as its less than MSRP.  The dealer you buy from is also the only one obligated to work on the spa while under warranty.  Your not going to find many here that consider Cal Spa a quality, reputable company, so if you go with them, make sure your dealer is top notch.

Caldera, in my opinion, is a much better brand and product.  You will pay more, but this is an industry where you get what you pay for.  Look into the Caldera Marino/Vanto.  If that budget is firm, also look for a Nordic dealer.  Much more basic product, but they are quality and the company is top notch.

Ditto, Caldera is the viable option in this equation, they have a good reputation. The price/look of the Cal Spa may match what you're looking for but their reputation should not be ignored, it is well deserved. If you don't see what you need in Caldera go to the websites of Artesian, Bullfrog, D1, Hot Spring, jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance to use their dealer locators to see who else might be in your vicinity! 
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Roeboat

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 06:06:17 pm »
I have had my Caldera Makena for almost 2 months and have been really happy with it. Hot Spring and Artesian were strong contenders for me.

norcalhottub

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 08:56:31 pm »
Thank you all for the great help so far, I'll look into Caldera further. 

Are there any online sources which show ballpark price figures for Caldera models?  Or is going into my local dealer/calling the only way?

Roeboat

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 09:44:53 pm »
I would get quotes on three different Spa's you like, then post the prices on here. The dealers on here will steer you in the right direction.   

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 09:53:00 pm »

Are there any online sources which show ballpark price figures for Caldera models?  Or is going into my local dealer/calling the only way?

Which models are you looking at?

norcalhottub

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 11:06:38 pm »

Makena, Marino, Vanto

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 11:13:54 pm »

Makena, Marino, Vanto

Depending on options (such as step choice, cover lift choice, ozone) Makena should be in the 10k-11k give or take range and Marino or Vanto $7000-$7500 range give or take. Hopefully your dealer has some in stock that he’s looking to move. I have a surplus of Vanto’s  2 of which I sold for a bit lower to get out of inventory for end of year. If your interested in Vanto also
Check out the Salina. Should be priced similar to the Makena

norcalhottub

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 11:16:05 pm »

Makena, Marino, Vanto

Depending on options (such as step choice, cover lift choice, ozone) Makena should be in the 10k-11k give or take range and Marino or Vanto $7000-$7500 range give or take. Hopefully your dealer has some in stock that he’s looking to move. I have a surplus of Vanto’s  2 of which I sold for a bit lower to get out of inventory for end of year. If your interested in Vanto also
Check out the Salina. Should be priced similar to the Makena

Appreciate the insight

norcalhottub

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 12:57:44 pm »
Discovered there is a Bullfrog dealer a bit further out which means I am no longer limited to CalSpa or Caldera.  Does anyone have any recommendations for Bullfrog models in the 5-6k price range? 5-6 person spa preferably. 

MarKee

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 01:11:26 pm »
If you’re searching around, there’s a Marquis factory store in Livermore, not terribly far away from you (depending on traffic).

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 06:08:29 pm »
Discovered there is a Bullfrog dealer a bit further out which means I am no longer limited to CalSpa or Caldera.  Does anyone have any recommendations for Bullfrog models in the 5-6k price range? 5-6 person spa preferably.

Pretty sure Bullfrog doesn’t make anything at that pricepoint. Cal isn’t a tub I would really recommend.

norcalhottub

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 06:25:36 pm »

Pretty sure Bullfrog doesn’t make anything at that pricepoint. Cal isn’t a tub I would really recommend.

Just learning that through research. On the flip side, I did find a Nordic dealer in which the Escape MS as well as the Retreat MS look like viable options for around my price point.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 06:25:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42