What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Hamilton leaking problems  (Read 4546 times)

Ndamico

Sundance Hamilton leaking problems
« on: December 09, 2018, 06:08:27 pm »
Hi, I'm the second owner of this tub. It's a 2008 and I've owned it for about six months. It works wonderfully but started leaking a couple months ago. It doesn't leak very much but there is a constant wet trail leading away from it. I found water coming out of the bottom of one of the pumps. I'm guessing there is a seal there. on the opposite side of the tub the air inlet which is associated with the leaking pump will also have water dripping out of it. I taking pictures of the weeks but don't see a way to attach them to this post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Hamilton leaking problems
« on: December 09, 2018, 06:08:27 pm »

Sam

Re: Sundance Hamilton leaking problems
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:03 pm »
Definitely need to know exactly where the leak is coming from.  You can't post pics directly.  You have to host them somewhere like imgur and use the direct link thing.

Ndamico

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:28:19 pm »
hi,

try this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hn9uW5nahbizJM3R8

also i'm guessing the tub has some type of plastic water barrier on the bottom.  i'm thinking the water may be running from the pump down through the plywood, onto the plastic and across to the lowest corner.  the way it sits on my slab its not quite level (slab was poured for water runoff years ago) and where its wet its the low corner.

i put a big patton fan blowing on the wet wood to dry it out. i have a tray under the pump to see how much its actually leaking.  i also extended the air inlet tube temporarily away from the tub to see how much (if any) is actually coming out.

thanks for the assistance.  i called the company that moved my hot tub and they said they only replace the whole motor..which seems odd. i could see if they said they only replace the wet end, but i'm hoping it just needs a seal.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 04:57:18 pm »
The shaft seal of that pump has been leaking a long time.  The amount of calcium build up (white stuff) indicates such.  My guess is the impeller will not come off without breaking it, so you may need a new wet end depending on how those parts are sold.  Not sure why or how water is dripping out of that air venturi line.

Ndamico

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 05:49:03 pm »
ive never changed one, but if i buy the whole wet end is it hard to replace? it just seems like a waste to buy the motor too.

castletonia

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 06:16:03 pm »
I don't do service, just sales and I am capable of changing a wet end.  I'm sure there are youtube videos so you can visually see what you are doing.  There will be a sizable cost difference between a wetend and a complete pump.  If I were you, the only way I'm replacing the entire pump is if I remove the wetend and the motor shaft is too far corroded.  If that was the case, then a complete pump.

Ndamico

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 06:30:58 pm »
thanks.  now i have to see if i can find a part # for the wet end.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 09:15:17 am »
Bite the bullet and get the whole thing. Depending on how long it's been leaking there is a good chance the shaft is rusted and or pitted. So you might not get a good seal with the new wet end.  Mot to mention it's a 10+ year old spa & pump.

Ndamico

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 05:16:33 pm »
Hi,

here is a pic of the tag on the motor.  i'm trying to verify its as old as the tub but don't see a date on it.  can anyone assist?  i'm ok with replacing the whole thing if that's the right call. anyone have a recommended source?   what about brand?  i know emerson as i use their UPS units at work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S22yeYDud655g89b8

thanks

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 09:34:37 pm »
   Probably original.   This one will work, key is, find the cheapest price with free shipping.  Which these guys do, honestly a pretty good price.    Just google that part number shown in the link..    If it were me, I would change the whole thing.  Wet end is probably going to cost at least 100 just guessing, plus the PIA to change it.   You might need that base though, but I have installed them before with out it and made it work.  Just strap the new one down with caddy/ hanging strap or something similar.   Should work fine.. 

https://www.spastore.com/2-speed-2-5-hp-sundance-theramax-spa-pump-230-volt-11-0-3-3-amp-6500-343-latest-version-energy-saver-pump/

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:39:41 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Ndamico

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 08:41:56 am »
 Looks like that will work, RPMs are the same.  Just make sure you wire it up for 2spd.  Also if your current pump has the bleeder hose attached to it, and it's plastic.  Same with your other pump if there is one.  Might as well replace them, because they will break at some point.   You can get them in stainless now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:48:08 am by Jacuzzi Jim »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 08:41:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42