What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Noob impressions with test strips versus Taylor  (Read 3543 times)

bachman

Noob impressions with test strips versus Taylor
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:20:34 pm »
I've been pretty excited to see the basis for my water testing has proven to be pretty simple and numbers seem safe but I know the reputation test strips have versus test kits.
The kit I have is the Taylor K-1004 so it's limited in what it covers and I guess I'll see about getting the other stuff to add to it but for the first test and deciding to run it against the strips;

Bromine showed higher on the strip at 10 or possibly a shade higher where the Taylor kit shows it 2 to 4. I'm happy the more accurate rated kit has the numbers more to my liking and can see the problem if adjusting by reading off strips.

TA read low on the strip and the Talyor kit both, within 10 ppm of each other in the 40 ppm neighborhood.

Test strip ph was low in the 6.2 vicinity but the drop kit showed 7.2

Curious if this matches others results. I'll review the other recommended kits to see what I'm missing or what else is important aside from water hardness.

In my case, I have no idea if the spa frog mineral cartridge was still effective or not so I now have a new one in and the bromine as well at recommended settings. I'm hoping these work as stated and are effective and easy on the chemistry needs and drama and  have read good reviews and those that question if it's working. I'm hoping a 3 - 4 month use ought to enable a subjective test anyways.
Since I don't know how to add a signature, I'll include my tub info in case it's relevant to some posts. I think I've seen that option used in such cases....

Pre-owned 2004 Marquis Reward Silver Anniversary set at 102*, inline spa frog as mineral/bromine + an assortment of Leisure Time products / Colorado Springs USA

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:32:57 pm by bachman »

Hot Tub Forum

Noob impressions with test strips versus Taylor
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:20:34 pm »

Michael Russell

Re: Noob impressions with test strips versus Taylor
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:31:38 pm »
I have been avoiding ordering a test kit and trying to survive with just strip. So far I have not had any water issues as far as I know. Things seem to be decent, just trying to dial in my bromine levels which are yo-yo'ing. For the ease of the strips if I am not having problems I will stick with them.

That said my inner geek who loves learning new things wants to order a kit so I can make a science out of it :-)

bachman

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:44:37 pm »
I hear ya. 
The strips felt like it was keeping it simple yet I probably didn't spend 5 more minutes in testing the three parameters the kit does. Readings are easier to define and in tighter increments rather than broad ranges. I find that a plus.

In yours and my case, we were happy with the results as far as we knew them to be accurate and if no rash, itching or general weirdness, may be okay.  :)
As you see by my result, the kit did prove it's worth giving different readings that are easy to see distinctions and accuracy scale is better defined. Not to mention, I'd have been adding chemicals to false readings the strips were showing. Yo Yo'ing is a probable result I'd have run into and now I'm saving some chemical use I didn't actually need.

I truly think the tighter numbers you run by using a more accurate test, the easier it's all going to be for maintaining and the less over-run you will have with chemical use.  (I'm guessing savings of time, stress and product  $.00 in the long run).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:46:33 pm by bachman »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:57:04 am »
I always kept both. Strips for quick sanitizer checks and test kit for a more detailed monthly check.
Retired

bachman

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 10:19:43 am »
I've inherited a 2 year supply of test strips and happy to have and use. Good to hear some confidence in them for those in the biz so-to- speak.  I like the idea they are 'good enough' in many cases because I value the quick and simple. Strips should provide some trending info inbetween as well.

I've got so much to learn, I'll continue reminding folks everything I mention or learn is from the new to tubs perspective. 

silversun

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:50:00 am »
I keep both as well. I use the strips to test cya periodically, which i find to be a much easier test than testing using the taylor kit.  Just drop it in and compare.

cya is also the test with the most room for error. Is it 30 PPM or 50? it hardly matters for me.. once it's in range I start using bleach as my primary sanitizer.

I use taylor to test basically everything else.

Sam

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 04:37:33 pm »
I'm surprised to see such a difference in bromine readings and suspect there are other factors at play. 

I personally don't even stock reagent test kits anymore.  In my experience, test strips are "close enough".  We aren't refining plutonium here. 

Additionally, as I understand it, reagent test results may actually be less accurate when certain factors are not accounting for; age of the reagents, reagents that have experienced sun or extreme temperature exposure, not properly reading the miniscus (https://water.usgs.gov/edu/meniscus.html), even holding the reagent bottle at the improper angle while dripping can affect the drop size, which obviously changes the result.  I highly doubt that most people using these kits are aware of this stuff so are they really getting a more accurate result than test strips?

In the end, I am of the opinion that people are lazy (myself included), and anything that simplifies hot tub maintenance will often result in "better" hot tub maintenance.  That's my policy for the last 6 years or so and it seems to work in our case.  Your mileage may vary and I don't mean to imply my way is the proper way.  Just throwing out a counterpoint to what I've heard a lot of industry professionals teach.

bachman

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 05:18:55 pm »
^  Simple is good, like that idea and will look for confidence-building results in test strips and a few second checks with the regent kit.
Especially like the idea we don't need plutonium test strips !!   ;D

For the most part, the regent kit I just got made me feel confident in results and that caring for the tub will be as easy as I thought or maybe easier. I'll will probably default to the drops kit for steering me on chemistry unless or until the strips become a big variation and question the trends but maybe a few strip tests a week and a few regents tests  (3 or 4) a month.

Sam

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 05:37:03 pm »
Awesome to see how often you test your spa!  I think as time passes and you establish your routine, you probably can decrease that frequency pretty significantly.

bachman

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 10:19:29 am »
Awesome to see how often you test your spa!  I think as time passes and you establish your routine, you probably can decrease that frequency pretty significantly.

That sure makes sense.  I'm the weak link in the chain here until I get a few miles under my belt so-to-speak -  lol. In fact, I'm already thinking about it from the standpoint of just being safe and not really obsessing on it. I've yet to see a result on the strips that would worry me about anyone getting in the tub although I would have asked about anyone with a bromine sensitivity as it was a bit high for 2 days. It's really just me and my wife unless special plans.

On another note, I'm very pleased with my first month utility bill as coming in right at my forecast based on many others who shared some info and thoughts. Week three Sept to Oct was pre hot tub and electric avg was not quite 20kwh per day. Bumped to 33/day on this first month with the first fill and heat, 400 gallons from 54 degrees to 102 (5 or 6 hours I'm guessing) and then our use and heat maintaining. This is not all tub either since we do more aux heat with an electric baseboard unit at times, more dryer running and ? else. 20 to 33 is $1.30 per day with some chilly weather coming on.

Really happy with the set up. Most work seems to be shoveling or sweeping the snow path to it, or will be soon enough. Nothing deep yet this year.

8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 10:19:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42