What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I don't think I can afford to go through a dealer.  (Read 7755 times)

LobsterizeMe

I don't think I can afford to go through a dealer.
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »
I was thinking of a rotomolded hot tub, 4-6 people (I'm a daily solo soaker), 110v, with good insulation and deeper seats. No lounger.

You might be thinking: "The Marquis Broadway sounds perfect for you." Yes! I am calling the closest Marquis dealer (120 miles away) to ask about cost. I don't think I'll be able to stretch it though. Any other options come to mind?

In the meantime, I was thinking of buying this for the past several days:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifesmart-LS100-4-Person-Plus-20-Jet-Spa-401427510600-18/305267452

My concerns:
  • Made in China.
  • Seats might not be deep enough. I hate a shallow tub.
  • Jets need to run in order for heater to maintain. I wanna hear the birds and the trees so I almost never use jets. I'm a long soaker (45+ minutes always).

So why not just wait until you can afford a better hot tub? I've been waiting to get my own hot tub for 10 years. I am disabled and couldn't afford one. I am trying different things to improve my next 10 years. I will escape disability one day. I will it. In the meantime, I hope to find a cost-effective way to get my daily soak in. I've been dreaming of my own hot tub for 10 long years and I want it now.

I was even considering an inflatable hot tub for a while. I figured I could buy one with a card that offers extended warranty benefits, and then just change mine as it breaks within the now-2-year warranty period. Of course it wouldn't be usable in cold weather (South Florida isn't often that cold, but still, that's prime hottubbing weather) and it would cost a lot on the energy bill.

Maybe under $5000 is my budget -- but even that sounds like a real stretch, so the lower, the better.

I am open to your ideas! Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

I don't think I can afford to go through a dealer.
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »

MarKee

Re: I don't think I can afford to go through a dealer.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 03:40:47 pm »
I would be careful with the Home Depot spas, I've heard a lot of complaints and have seen them being replaced after 3-5 years of use.  The Marquis Broadway is a great tub.  Have you thought about financing, where you can spread it out over a period of time?  Your local dealer probably offers some sort of financing special.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:31:37 pm »
I was thinking of a rotomolded hot tub, 4-6 people (I'm a daily solo soaker), 110v, with good insulation and deeper seats. No lounger.

You might be thinking: "The Marquis Broadway sounds perfect for you." Yes! I am calling the closest Marquis dealer (120 miles away) to ask about cost. I don't think I'll be able to stretch it though. Any other options come to mind?

In the meantime, I was thinking of buying this for the past several days:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifesmart-LS100-4-Person-Plus-20-Jet-Spa-401427510600-18/305267452

My concerns:
  • Made in China.
  • Seats might not be deep enough. I hate a shallow tub.
  • Jets need to run in order for heater to maintain. I wanna hear the birds and the trees so I almost never use jets. I'm a long soaker (45+ minutes always).

So why not just wait until you can afford a better hot tub? I've been waiting to get my own hot tub for 10 years. I am disabled and couldn't afford one. I am trying different things to improve my next 10 years. I will escape disability one day. I will it. In the meantime, I hope to find a cost-effective way to get my daily soak in. I've been dreaming of my own hot tub for 10 long years and I want it now.

I was even considering an inflatable hot tub for a while. I figured I could buy one with a card that offers extended warranty benefits, and then just change mine as it breaks within the now-2-year warranty period. Of course it wouldn't be usable in cold weather (South Florida isn't often that cold, but still, that's prime hottubbing weather) and it would cost a lot on the energy bill.

Maybe under $5000 is my budget -- but even that sounds like a real stretch, so the lower, the better.

I am open to your ideas! Thanks!

Broadway under $5k will be next to impossible. Assuming you don’t want to finance do you have any Nordic, Viking or freeflow dealers nearby?  Granted jet power won’t be the best but they all make a great value tub. Nordic and Viking would be a little better jet wise but freeflow might be the cheapest option. I sell Nordic (as well as Marquis and Caldera) and I think Nordic has about a dozen models available for $5000 or less. Check out the Retreat MS. Should come in right at that $5000 Mark and it’s a great tub for the money

gmdodt

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:04 pm »
costco sells tubs by aquaterra. Arent they made by watkins (i.e. hot springs and caldera)

https://www.costco.com/spas.html

bradleyabell

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 07:20:08 am »
Would highly recommend never buying a tub until you have wet tested it.  In your budget, you should look at Nordic Hot Tubs.  They are made locally in Grand Rapids, Michigan and stand behind their products.

Sam

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 12:55:40 pm »
Look at the Artesian Garden Spas line.  You should be able to get the smaller models for a shade over $4k.  You need to add the full foam package.  They are extremely well made but just basic.  They will be much better quality than the home depot.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:57:18 pm »
Its OK to not go through a dealer if you can't or don't want to. But don't expect the same experience.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 08:19:04 pm »
Based on what you are looking for this would be perfect: https://www.nordichottubs.com/hot-tubs-all-in-110v-sport

$3,495 give or take depending on dealer, delivered or not, cover lifter or not, steps or not, you get the point lol...Good Luck!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 11:57:38 pm »
There is nothing wrong with simpler rotomolded spas for those looking for a no-frills hot tub.

I question where the OP got the idea that the rotomolded spa was made in China? I believe China spas are still limited to only the poorly made wood framed types?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

LobsterizeMe

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 06:45:39 pm »
Awesome. Thank you so much for all the replies!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 01:26:32 pm »
This is another Watkins product.  Made in Mexico, not China. Low speed will come on for heat.  But, depending on where you live, it will not maintain heat for 45 minutes on 110V. I am not aware of any spa with circ pump for your budget.

Good luck!
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

LobsterizeMe

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 10:53:49 pm »
UPDATE:

I think it's important that I do go through a dealer. Yeah a Costco hot tub can be returned for 6 months, yeah some credit cards will extend the manufacturer warranty for 1 extra year, but that's not enough. I'm convinced going through a dealer is the way to go.

I went to a Nordic dealer and really liked the Retreat. Was quoted $5k. They also sell Master Spas and we liked the Clarity and Twilight models (quoted $7k and $9k), but then found out Master Spa doesn't have a very good reputation.

Going to a Hot Spring dealer next.

They asked if we wanted financing -- I said no. Does that raise or lower the price?

Any advice on how to negotiate a low price? We were outmatched.

I am glad I said we would go home and think about it, because I think buying a Master Spa would have caused me worry. The Nordic probably would have worked well (still might).

Perhaps I'll still go for a cheapo option, but I gotta say, what the eyes see the heart desires!

castletonia

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 11:10:31 pm »
Nordic makes a quality product, nothing wrong with them.  Cash or check will always get you the best price.  Credit card and financing have merchant fees.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 11:14:31 pm »

They asked if we wanted financing -- I said no. Does that raise or lower the price?

The finance companies are in the business to make $$. The dealer may take a bit of the hit but otherwise it goes to the customer in the way of a higher price tag though its not like they'll tell you that. By you answering that question as NO to financing the dealer now knows he can give you a better overall deal.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bachman

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 04:42:23 am »
Happy to hear you are looking at this from your updated point of view.

I've been a miserly shopper and I've went extravagant on things, been in sales or marketing of some sort for my early half of career and the one phrase that speaks to me now more than ever is Ownership Experience. I think too many people cheat themselves from a good experience over the long run by a few dollars here or there. I'd done it in the past with tires. Thumpy and road noise, poor ride or traction and yet I'd suffer that car every day for years possibly saving $150 total on 4 tires. That's a penny every 20 miles in tire cost over the life of tire tread.
I think the peace of mind in a purchase like this is no small part of the ingredient and spa owners or those in the industry that attest to a handful of name brands and models is a sweet cheat sheet to zeroing in on the better candidates. Your mention of warranty is a good point too. These things create happy life / happy family for people 12 - 15 years and on. 

Nordic looks like a really well thought out line putting the money where it counts and other brands/models of quality rep look a bit more frills or sparkle for those willing to pay for it. I think the important thing is getting the quality of the innards and design as the basis to start from anyways and my guess is even the real handyman fix-it types of owners appreciate having a tub they don't have to wrench on or troubleshoot problems often. Good luck ! 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 04:42:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42