What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Switching from bromine to chlorine  (Read 1965 times)

gmdodt

Switching from bromine to chlorine
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:00:32 pm »
So I need to make the move from bromine to chlorine. I've never used chlorine (outside of shock) but I know I don't get skin reactions to chlorine pools and I seem to have a problem with bromine.

I'm not so worried about the actual switching, I just don't know how to go about using chlorine. Is it as simple as just putting chlorine granules in the spa every few days? I really don't want to have to put chemicals in everyday...

Hot Tub Forum

Switching from bromine to chlorine
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:00:32 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Switching from bromine to chlorine
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:25:12 pm »
Use Nature 2 with some chlorine on the weekends. Google that method. Almost all my customers either use that or the inline @ease chlorine system.

gmdodt

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:34:00 pm »
Ideally I would use the @ease but $12 a month on cartridges is a bit steep! I'll look up the other method granted mineral sticks are also pretty pricey! Would the spa frog mineral cartridge be the same as nature sticks? I ask since I have the online system in my tub..Just tired of not enjoying  hot tub bc of skin problems...and the constant gfi tripping ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:45:13 pm by gmdodt »

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:10:27 am »
To switch to chlorine from bromine you need to drain the tub and get all the water you can out. Even use a blower on the jets or flush them by sticking the hose in them. When you add chlorine to bromine the bromine will convert the chlorine to bromine.

I personally think the minerals do next to nothing and I haven’t used them in several years.

Here is what I do for what it is worth.

I fill my tub and add two tablespoons of dichlor. I check it and adjust ph if needed. Let it heat up. I check the tub every couple days and every day if we use it I add a tablespoon of dichlor. I have found if we don’t use it I can skip a day here and there. I watch the stabilizer level and when it reaches 50PPM I switch from dichlor to Wal-Mart brand Clorox. Unscented and not the easy pour thickened stuff as that will foam. I use 1/3 cup for the same effect as 1 tablespoon of dichlor. If the stabilizer drops a little I switch back or if the ph changes I adjust it. about once a week or every other week if the water looks a tad cloudy I add one cap full of non chlorine shock / oxidizer.

After 3 or 4 months if the water is reading high in some of the other categories and I don’t feel like changing the water I drain it down about a third and do a partial water change.

As a side note because I also have sensitive skin and to change the feel of the water I have been adding salt when I fill the tub. My tub is about 400 gallons and I’m adding 7 pounds of pool salt. I think it gives the water a smoother feel and it seems to keep the water more stable and easier to keep in line. I don’t have proof of that.

I used to try and keep my chlorine at the absolute low point at all times. I don’t worry about that as much now and error on the high side after I dose it as I add chlorine after we use the tub not before. It slowly comes down and is low when we get in the next day.

I use the @ease when we are going away for a week or two.

gmdodt

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 07:03:34 pm »
Well I was lucky enough to score 8 smartchlor  cartridges for $70 on Ebay which is a great deal, so I'm gonna start with them. Gonna use the nature2 mineral cartridge in the filter with it too. If I get sick of the price or I'll prob switch to dichlor then bleach

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 07:03:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42