What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter deep clean  (Read 2990 times)

swilly1000

Filter deep clean
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:50:08 pm »
I just did my first overnight clean of my filters using the filter cleaner in my startup kit.  I pulled the filters out of the bucket, gave them a good rinse with the Filter Flosser I ordered online and set them aside to dry, as I've read that letting them dry is a good practice.

How long does it take for them to dry out?

Hot Tub Forum

Filter deep clean
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:50:08 pm »

Michael Russell

Re: Filter deep clean
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:09:03 pm »
Hey swilly..

Cannot remember if you got a second set of filters or not.. I grabbed a second set so I can swap and clean.

I would guess dry time would depend on house hold humidity and air flow more then anything.

Where did you get your flosser from and how much?

swilly1000

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 02:46:39 pm »
I ordered my second set of filters last week but they aren't coming until Friday......want those filters to dry out today so I can get back in the tub tonight  ;D. They are sitting in my kitchen sink hopefully getting a little sun from the southern exposed window.

I ordered the Filter Flosser on amazon.ca (LOVE amazon) and paid $55.  It's a good tool.  Gets right into the pleats with a strong water flow.  The water flies a good 20'. 

Didn't bother with the Power Pic Reach, https://www.amazon.ca/Power-Pic-Reach-Powerful-Cleaning/dp/B00B1X8WKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541619940&sr=8-1&keywords=power+pic+reach.  The cost is fine but the shipping bites.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:49:51 pm by swilly1000 »

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:16:39 pm »
Why would you want your filter to be dry you are just sticking it back into a tank of water.   :)

swilly1000

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 05:46:02 pm »
I've read that it prolongs their life.  Not sure if that's true.  They were still a bit wet when I got home but screw it I fired them back into the tub.  Now waiting for temp to come back up for late night soak.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:58:07 pm by swilly1000 »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:46:50 pm »
They don't need to be dry.
Retired

Michael Russell

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 06:47:48 pm »
I have read and been told by a few dealers that its a good idea to let the filters dry out. Not sure on the specifics...

Also quoted here..

https://www.swimuniversity.com/clean-hot-tub-filters/

"Be sure to spread apart each pleat and rinse well between them to get any dirt, hair, or other debris out. Once you have completed your rinse, allow the filter to dry before using in your hot tub."

Not sure the validity of the idea. The dealers that I mentioned it said something along the line of it extends the life of the polymers in the filter make the filter last longer..

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:15:17 pm »
I wouldn’t worry about drying the filter off.  Whether it extends the life or allows the pleats to absorb more, any benefit would be minimal and not worth the hassle in my opinion.

bud16415

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 10:22:19 pm »
My dealer suggested we never go more than one year on a filter in our Caldera Geneva. We are going on 4 years and it still looks nice and white and is doing a good job still. The plastic end caps have changed color but other than that they look the same as when we got the tub.

All I do is pull it once a month and use a hose with a needle jet nozzle and pure hot water approximately 140 degree f water. I work from top to bottom back and forth and the heat melts the gunk and the water blast it out. I turn it about 6 times to get all the outer surface. I let it drip for about 10 seconds and stick it back in.

Nothing to buy and easy to do if you have a hot water supply out at the tub.   

swilly1000

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 05:35:34 am »
Wow four years on the same filter.  That's encouraging. Using hot water is key I'm sure.

It would be interesting to know whether you experience an increase in jet pressure with brand new filters i.e. whether there has been a gradual but unnoticeable decline in performance over the four years due to not having changed the filters.

I used hot water for the overnight clean.  Now I'm going to start using hot water on the spray cleans.

Thanks bud!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:42:41 am by swilly1000 »

bud16415

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 10:11:37 am »
Wow four years on the same filter.  That's encouraging. Using hot water is key I'm sure.

It would be interesting to know whether you experience an increase in jet pressure with brand new filters i.e. whether there has been a gradual but unnoticeable decline in performance over the four years due to not having changed the filters.

I used hot water for the overnight clean.  Now I'm going to start using hot water on the spray cleans.

Thanks bud!

That’s a good question and one I will answer next time I get in the tub. I will just pull the filter and see if the jets get harder. I will let you know. My guess is they haven’t changed at all.

Yes hot water melts the gunk oil, grease, soap as a binder and then filled in with solids. If you have ever rinsed a bacon grease pan with cold water you will know what I’m saying.

bachman

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 02:46:02 am »
I inherited chemicals with my tub given to us and to my surprise, the special filter cleaner bottle was apple cider vinegar !!  LOL 
I guess they used the special stuff once or twice then read some other recipes as I've read that it's a good homemade overnight soak cleaner, then pressure wash or rinse. It seems to work fine and my main point here was answering the filter drying question ---

Those filters dripped and aired out in an 80 degree room for 5 or 6 hours after I whirled them around some, then sat near a furnace vent some. The furnace isn't running much so it was a few days. I had a second set to keep the system running and filtering. They take a long time to completely dry unless you get fancy or inventive.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:39:00 am by bachman »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 02:46:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42