What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Energy usage on Setup  (Read 2202 times)

Sgemmell

Energy usage on Setup
« on: November 08, 2018, 03:48:43 pm »
Guys,

I have just had a Crescent Bay Deluxe 2 Tub delivered today and set up. I did do some research and expect higher energy bills; however wonder if more energy is used during initial set up to get it up to 40 degrees and then costs should settle down a bit.

I have gone from my daily cost of about £2.70 to £10 for one day. The hot tub also takes quite a while to heat up; is this all normal and expected?

Hot Tub Forum

Energy usage on Setup
« on: November 08, 2018, 03:48:43 pm »

bud16415

Re: Energy usage on Setup
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:34:43 pm »
Yes the meter will spin pretty good heating a cold tub. I leave the cover open until the water temp = air temp then close it. it takes sometimes over night and then once heated the better the insulation and cover are the less power you will use. Also when you are not in it with the cover on it will hardly use any. So don’t leave the cover open for hours at a time between uses. 

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your first soak.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:37:25 pm »
If its poorly insulated then you will pay handsomely both to heat it up and to maintain the heat. If that's the case you might want to look into adding some insulation yourself with material from your local home improvement center.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bachman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:24:49 am »
Congrats on your new hot tub. I'm in the same mode, waiting on the first utility bill.

I see by your early numbers you are tracking it pretty close and seeing that first bump in energy due to the significant temp rise needed. I expected the same and thinking that energy use will equate to many, many days of heating and maintaining.
In fact doing some poking around, I  found that result in similar tracking of cost. In that case, it indeed confirmed the start up (first month bill) for that person was about equal heat rise to the cost for the normal entire month. Essentially, twice the normal one month hot tub heat cost. I think he was in a cooler climate and his norm was an added $23 per month so maybe $46 that first month.
I expect $30 plus in the winter months here as my norm. I've seen costs of .07 to .31  per kwh here so the variables speak large as well.
My last electric portion was $73 or $75 and the actual kw use and cost was $55 of that. Other costs are fees, taxes and a base rate for the service itself.

* Note exceptions that add like other extras if seasonal- For me it'll be Christmas lighting, space heater augmenting a cooler part of the house, more dryer use (maybe) with wet towels, furnace fan/ more furnace use this time of year etc...   8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:34:21 am by bachman »

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:14 am »
I guess if the water change is done in the warmer months and you are not in a hurry you could fill the tub leave the cover open and wait for it to reach ambient temp. Then fire it up.

During our cold winter months if I see my numbers getting a little funky in the tub I do a third to half drain and start the re-fill with water from my 140 degree f gas fired water heater tank. With heated water in the tub and adding hot until I run out and then cold I end up hardly needing any additional electric heating. Gas is cheaper than electric here. Normally doing this extends my water life a couple months and into better weather. 

Many people here have time of day meters on the electric water hearers and get special rates and they also have emergency shut down switches the power company can cut your power in a peak demand. In return they give you a good deal on the rates and also a free 80 gallon water heater. I wonder if they would attach that switch system to a hot tub. When they kill the power it is only for an hour or so.

bachman

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 05:57:33 am »
+
I've read that elsewhere, doing a partial drain and refill.

As for the gas hot water heater, that seems like a worthwhile way to refill. Even 40 or 50 gallon portions at a time would cut some heat demand when filling.

??  On heat and heat loss, my cover feels plenty solid and heavy but rests on its own weight. Is that good enough?
Even though it has the straps with buckles, it is not "cinching up" tight since the straps have some play in them and are not tight. I'm not sure there is any or much loss but is there a consensus on feeling like snugging up the cover is worthwhile?
I could probably modify them pretty easy to work that way.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:59:07 am by bachman »

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 07:55:27 am »
+
I've read that elsewhere, doing a partial drain and refill.

As for the gas hot water heater, that seems like a worthwhile way to refill. Even 40 or 50 gallon portions at a time would cut some heat demand when filling.

??  On heat and heat loss, my cover feels plenty solid and heavy but rests on its own weight. Is that good enough?
Even though it has the straps with buckles, it is not "cinching up" tight since the straps have some play in them and are not tight. I'm not sure there is any or much loss but is there a consensus on feeling like snugging up the cover is worthwhile?
I could probably modify them pretty easy to work that way.

I never use the straps and never drilled the holes for the other end in fact. We live where it gets so cold if I even had steam or water vapor getting out I would see it iced up or see something and I never do. I think the weight of the cover is enough. 

I have seen people use tie down straps that attach to the deck for very windy locations. If I really wanted to secure the cover that’s what I would do.

bachman

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 02:34:19 pm »
Thank you for the feedback Bud.
Mine feels solid enough to fit that very descripton and I'll snap the straps in place just b/c they are there. I won't persue snugging them down though.
We do get strong winds at times and though I doubt a "lift-off" , I don't need that throttling my worries.  Lol

With the straps hanging loose, it makes me look lazy. I'd eventually be called out by somebody then have to lie,  wrongfully accusing them of unsnapping them. This hot tub business can get quite ugly.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:23:33 pm by bachman »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 02:34:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42