What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone remember the SunTub by Sundance?  (Read 9476 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Anyone remember the SunTub by Sundance?
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:16:56 am »
So it looks like I found about what I was looking for on craigslist. Something basic, something in pretty good condition, and something free!

Looks to be a Suntub, that best I can tell was only made in 1994 by Sundance. Seems to be in rather good condition, at least the shell (no blisters,cracks or discoloring) and what I can see of the skirt (solid with no dry-rot). There's some problems with the equipment (I don't remember what she told me), but, regardless of what it might be, it's an easy fix....besides, chances are I'm going to rip it all out an convert it gas heating.

So, any old timers out there remember, or better yet, know anything about these? Any surprises I might find underneath, on the bottom? Any idea how many gallons it's supposed to hold (nothing mentioned in the manual, yes I have a manual for it  :D  )
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone remember the SunTub by Sundance?
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:16:56 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Anyone remember the SunTub by Sundance?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:36:04 pm »
 I think it was a 6 or 5' round spa 200 gallon, if I remember right, 1.5hp pump 35 maybe 50sq ft filter.

I don't think it was an actual acrylic shell, thermal plastic?? Same material H,springs use to use??

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 01:07:40 pm »
I only had a quick look at it yesterday, really just interested in the condition of the shell and cabinet. My recollection is the spa is 78" round. I like the thermoplastic thought...no blistering to worry about, and it explains why it felt a little "different" under the edge of the wrap over (wasn't enough light to see it properly).

Here's a pic from the manual;

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 04:43:49 pm »
The Suntub by Sundance was made for a few years.  It was made of acrylic.  There is not much to them, so no real surprises.    78" round.  50sq. ft. filter.  

Air buttons.  1.5hp, 230v pump.  I believe it was just a standard aquaflo pump.  The equipment is a bitch to work on, but if you are going to rip it out, no worries then.  Bottom is just foam and some wood supports.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:47:46 pm by SerjicalStrike »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 05:01:33 pm »
Looked like full foam to me, and I'd swear it was just plugged into a 110v outlet (with a GFCI on the end of the cord).

Yeah, the equipment looked like about the size of a medium dog, shoved into a hole the size of a mouse.... I may just pull the pack, rebuild most of it, and get it working for the time being.  Noon tomorrow I pick it up, so I should get a better look at it then  ::)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:59:12 pm »
Well, with the help of 3 people we threw it on the back of my truck.... Could have probably done it with only one person helping. I even got a set of steps, and some chemicals (I'm s bit scared though to open the containers). Not bad for having a manufacturing date of 1995. A little surface rot to a board or two on the bottom, but nothing I intend to worry about. The motors shot, so I ordered a whole new pump. New t-stat, hi-limit and heating element too.... why not? I get em cheap  ;D.... Now I just have to scrounge through our 100+ odds and ends covers and find something that fits.....

Last but not least, is a 350 mile drive to it's final destination  :o   I hope I get that sucker tied down securely.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:58:57 pm »
  Nice,  I like your truck, I have the exact same one, only with company logo's.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:02:13 am »
Well, if it's not too late, I sure would not tie it that way. You have it set to push up against the glass - the cab and cargo bed have a lot of motion between them and it can pound and/or rub enough to hurt either spa or glass. Don't ask how I know. And for the price, two-inch wide ratchet straps are a good investment - they don't stretch as much as those one-inch items you have there. Just lookin' out for you bud.

Otherwise, I guess I should not be surprised that you would end up owning something round!!  ;D ;DLooks good, and I know you'll have it up and running in no time. Simple, reliable system, and I'm sure you'll have it humming. Congratulations and have fun with it.

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:58:23 am »
One of the problems with this truck is there's few places to attach tie-downs or straps (I've tied onto the frame in the past). I have around 20 of the skinny ones you see. So far I've only driven it about 10 miles, on city streets. I know about the window issue too ;D , and have a way to deal with it for the 350 mile trip.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 10:50:29 am »
Looks like a set of Sylvan steps made by my friend Michael.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 11:50:42 am »
Does he still have the Buick?

8-)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 12:47:58 pm »
Does he still have the Buick?

8-)

Are you talkin' to me? :)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 12:48:16 pm »
Looks like a set of Sylvan steps made by my friend Michael.

I do believe they are..... and in FINE condition I might add.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 09:43:28 pm »
Are you talkin' to me?

Yeah - Michael and Ruth had a gorgeous old Buick. Pristine condition - haven't seen it in years. Just wondered if they still have it.

8-)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 11:29:58 pm »
Doc, is this spa for you or are you going to flip it? Just curious since your wooden tubs seem much nicer.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 11:29:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42